Latest project - early period turned cup

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
      I just finished my first attempt at an Anglo-Scandinavian turned cup. I've posted a couple of pictures in the "Eirikr's Camp" folder in the photo section of this group. There are brief notes about the cup on each photo.

      For Anglo-Saxons and Vikings, turned wooden cups were much more prevalent than ceramic, metal or glass. This round, globular style of cup was typical of Saxon/Viking times but became rare by the 12th century. Examples of this type of cup were found in the Sutton Hoo burial (625 AD), the Oseberg ship burial (834 AD) and throughout Coppergate (950-1050 AD) as well as many finds scattered across modern Scandinavia. The most common wood for these cups was Alder, followed by Maple and Birch. I went with figured Maple because I had a chunk that's been sitting around my shop for over a year.

      I just wanted to share before I give it away as a present.

      Yours in Service to the Dream,
      Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
      Ashgrove, Barony of Angels, Caid
    • Helen Schultz

        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
          Very nicely done!

          Mir!
          ~Tatjana
          "It's never too late to be what you might have been."

          Wolf and Tiger Woodworking
          http://www.wolfandtiger.com

          >I just finished my first attempt at an Anglo-Scandinavian turned cup. I've
          >posted a couple of pictures in the "Eirikr's Camp" folder in the photo
          >section of this group. There are brief notes about the cup on each photo.
          >

          > I just wanted to share before I give it away as a present.
          >
          > Yours in Service to the Dream,
          > Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
          > Ashgrove, Barony of Angels, Caid

        • James Winkler
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 30, 2009
            Just a note... DON'T put something like... oh, say 'scotch' in it...

            A number of years ago I got into turning cups and bowls... thought it might be nifty to wander around from party to party with my nifty cup...  turns out that the penetrating properties of higher level of alcohol has a less than desirable effect on wooden cups... like excessive and uneven wood swelling.   Needless to say, the cup drank more than I did before requiring a stunt double...

            Keep up the good work...

            Chas. Oakley
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 1, 2009

              I got hold of some Pusser’s Naval Rum in a wooden flask one time that managed to seep all the way through in less than three minutes.

              Will

                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 1, 2009
                  I wonder how they kept in from seeping through the storage barrels back in the day.

                  Cedric

                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...> wrote:

                  > I got hold of some Pusser's Naval Rum in a wooden flask one time that
                  > managed to seep all the way through in less than three minutes.
                  >

                  > Will

                • Eric
                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 1, 2009
                    The cup has already been sealed with multiple rubbed coats of a natural polymerized linseed oil and beeswax blend. I'll warn the cup's recipient about the dangers of strong spirits, but as a prototype, I'm kind of interested how the cup will stand up to regular life.

                    Thank you to everyone for the encouragement.

                    Eirikr

                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, leaking pen <itsatrap@...> wrote:

                    > beeswax sealing will do the trick, run the cup on the lathe at high speed,
                    > and rub a piece of beeswax on the inside. the friction should melt it
                    > enough to penetrate in, and will give a good seal.

                  • Alex Haugland
                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 1, 2009
                      I suspect that the secret is to minimize contact with end grain...  Most moisture transfer happens through the end grain of the wood, so barrels are built such that there is a minimum of end grain exposed inside the barrel.  Unfortunately, this is something you can't really prevent in wood turning without laminating a segmented block to turn; a practice that I'm pretty sure isn't period, but I could be wrong.

                      --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
                      Barony of Adiantum, An Tir

                      james wrote:

                      I wonder how they kept in from seeping through the storage barrels back in the day.

                      Cedric

                      --- In medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...> wrote:

                      > I got hold of some Pusser's Naval Rum in a wooden flask one time that
                      > managed to seep all the way through in less than three minutes.
                      >

                      > Will

                    • Colleen Vince
                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 1, 2009
                        Full on electric lathes are the only way to go if you only have room for one lathe.

                        I have an eyebolt in the ceiling over my electric lathe. I hook up a bungy cord to a rope, and that goes around the object to be turned and the on to a treadle on the floor. The centers on a modern lathe do the exact job as a lathe in the 1600's

                        I have no room for a pole lathe in the shop during the fall and winter. Spring and summer I can turn outside on my pole lathe.

                        Hence the Frankenstein monster "Electric Pole Lathe"

                        Cheers

                        --
                        Mary Ostler
                        Apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke
                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 1, 2009

                          Denser wood?

                          I wonder how they kept in from seeping through the storage barrels back in the day.

                          Cedric

                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...> wrote:

                          > I got hold of some Pusser's Naval Rum in a wooden flask one time that
                          > managed to seep all the way through in less than three minutes.
                          >

                          > Will

                        • leaking pen
                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 1, 2009
                            They used oak.  oak will swell up, put its own pressure on itself, and then not really leak through.  you get a bit of drying from the surface of the barrell (angel's share, it was known as) , but no leaking.

                            On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 5:42 PM, james <jeason@...> wrote:

                            I wonder how they kept in from seeping through the storage barrels back in the day.

                            Cedric

                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...> wrote:

                            > I got hold of some Pusser's Naval Rum in a wooden flask one time that
                            > managed to seep all the way through in less than three minutes.
                            >

                            > Will

                          • leaking pen
                            Message 13 of 29 , Dec 1, 2009
                              Natural polymerized?  So, old fashioned boiled, yes?  as opposed to metal salt dryers added.

                              and, if the blend is liquid at room temp, its not going to do the best job sealing the grain (that is, the beeswax isnt).

                                Message 15 of 29 , Dec 1, 2009
                                  Point. I have looked at turned cups in the museum in London and saw a
                                  metal insert (think copper freeze plug) in the center of the bottom of
                                  the cup - My theory is it was to protect from the massive soak-in of
                                  liquids in the core wood (the cups were turned from limbs centered at
                                  the core). There was some sort of mark stamped in the copper coin as
                                  well, so it may have served as a makers mark.
                                  Riley G.
                                  On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 17:45 -0800, Alex Haugland wrote:

                                  > I suspect that the secret is to minimize contact with end grain...
                                  > Most moisture transfer happens through the end grain of the wood, so
                                  > barrels are built such that there is a minimum of end grain exposed
                                  > inside the barrel. Unfortunately, this is something you can't really
                                  > prevent in wood turning without laminating a segmented block to turn;
                                  > a practice that I'm pretty sure isn't period, but I could be wrong.
                                  >
                                  > --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
                                  > Barony of Adiantum, An Tir
                                  >
                                  > james wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I wonder how they kept in from seeping through the storage barrels
                                  > > back in the day.
                                  > >
                                  > > Cedric
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...>
                                  > > wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I got hold of some Pusser's Naval Rum in a wooden flask one time
                                  > > that
                                  > > > managed to seep all the way through in less than three minutes.
                                  > > >

                                  > > > Will

                                • Liedtke Goetz
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Dec 1, 2009
                                    Are you sure you weren't seeing the Queen's shilling?

                                    :-)

                                    Goetz

                                    > metal insert (think copper freeze plug) in the center of
                                    > the bottom of
                                    > the cup - My theory is it was to protect from the massive
                                    > soak-in of
                                    > liquids in the core wood (the cups were turned from limbs
                                    > centered at
                                    > the core). There was some sort of mark stamped in the
                                    > copper coin as
                                    > well, so it may have served as a makers mark.
                                    > Riley G.
                                    > On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 17:45 -0800, Alex Haugland wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > > I suspect that the secret is to minimize contact with
                                    > end grain...
                                    > > Most moisture transfer happens through the end grain
                                    > of the wood, so
                                    > > barrels are built such that there is a minimum of end
                                    > grain exposed
                                    > > inside the barrel.  Unfortunately, this is
                                    > something you can't really
                                    > > prevent in wood turning without laminating a segmented
                                    > block to turn;
                                    > > a practice that I'm pretty sure isn't period, but I
                                    > could be wrong.
                                    > >
                                    > > --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
                                    > > Barony of Adiantum, An Tir
                                    > >
                                    > > james wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I wonder how they kept in from seeping through
                                    > the storage barrels
                                    > > > back in the day.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Cedric
                                    > > >
                                    > > > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com,

                                    > wooden flask one time
                                    > > > that
                                    > than three minutes.

                                  • n7bsn
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Dec 19, 2009
                                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, James Winkler <jrwinkler@...> wrote:

                                      > Just a note... DON'T put something like... oh, say 'scotch' in it...
                                      >

                                      > A number of years ago I got into turning cups and bowls... thought it might be nifty to wander around from party to party with my nifty cup... turns out that the penetrating properties of higher level of alcohol has a less than desirable effect on wooden cups... like excessive and uneven wood swelling. Needless to say, the cup drank more than I did before requiring a stunt double...

                                      Something I do is treat the inside of any drinking vessel with a two-part finish called Envirotec

                                      Not remotely period, but it works

                                      Ralg
                                      AnTir
                                    • n7bsn
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Dec 19, 2009
                                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Wm G <wagrot@...> wrote:

                                        > Point. I have looked at turned cups in the museum in London and saw a
                                        > metal insert (think copper freeze plug) in the center of the bottom of
                                        > the cup - My theory is it was to protect from the massive soak-in of
                                        > liquids in the core wood (the cups were turned from limbs centered at
                                        > the core). There was some sort of mark stamped in the copper coin as
                                        > well, so it may have served as a makers mark.

                                        That makes a certain amount of sense. Traditional Scandinavian bowl turning is end-grain not face. We don't really know for certain how far back that goes, or how extensive an area that tradition covered. It's certainly possible it covered Yorvik and Anglo-Saxon England.

                                        Using a plug would would make a great certain both stop the end-grain leaking and remove the "pith" that is so often the source of cracking.

                                        One more point, it unlikely that they were actually using limb wood. The stresses in limb wood cause large sections of "reaction" wood, that is one side of the limb as a different density then the other side, thus reacting differently.

                                        TTFN
                                        Ralg
                                        AnTir
                                      • Eric
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Dec 20, 2009
                                          Ralg,

                                          Do you remember which Enviro-Tex product that you use? The company has a number of similar but different 2-part, clear polymer coatings.

                                          Thanks,
                                          Eirkir

                                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "n7bsn" <n7bsn@...> wrote:

                                          > Something I do is treat the inside of any drinking vessel with a two-part finish called Envirotec
                                          >
                                          > Not remotely period, but it works
                                          >
                                          > Ralg
                                          > AnTir

                                        • n7bsn
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Dec 20, 2009
                                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@...> wrote:

                                            > Ralg,
                                            >
                                            > Do you remember which Enviro-Tex product that you use? The company has a number of similar but different 2-part, clear polymer coatings.

                                            Lite as I recall, available at most Craft stores

                                            Ralg
                                            AnTir
                                          • conradh@efn.org
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Dec 20, 2009
                                              On Sat, December 19, 2009 7:49 pm, n7bsn wrote:

                                              > That makes a certain amount of sense. Traditional Scandinavian bowl
                                              > turning is end-grain not face. We don't really know for certain how far
                                              > back that goes, or how extensive an area that tradition covered. It's
                                              > certainly possible it covered Yorvik and Anglo-Saxon England.

                                              Easy enough to tell. Has anyone thought to check those conical waste
                                              cores from the turner's shop at Jorvik?

                                              Using a plug would would make a great certain both stop the end-grain
                                              > leaking and remove the "pith" that is so often the source of cracking.
                                              >
                                              > One more point, it unlikely that they were actually using limb wood. The
                                              > stresses in limb wood cause large sections of "reaction" wood, that is
                                              > one side of the limb as a different density then the other side, thus
                                              > reacting differently.

                                              Not too sure that one is true. I know all the books here say that, but
                                              then all the books here also say you shouldn't use end grain turning! How
                                              much of this is "natural law" (the wood simply won't work that way) and
                                              how much is simple "everybody knows" lemming behavior? I ask this because
                                              when I first started turning, I had no instructor. I used _mostly_ limb
                                              wood, from tree prunings, and some of the pieces came out just fine!

                                              I certainly have seen asymmetrical seasoning in "reaction wood", but also
                                              seen it in main-trunk wood, especially in wood from lumberyards.
                                              Remember, when you didn't cut the tree yourself, you have no way of
                                              knowing whether that piece of lumber came from a tree that had leaned 20
                                              degrees, grown resisting the pressure of strong prevailing winds (there
                                              are places in Oregon where the trees only have branches on one side from
                                              the wind!), or whether the trunk was stressed by having all its branches
                                              growing toward the light on the edge of a clearing. I'm not saying that
                                              "reaction wood" can't be a problem, but rather that it's a problem not
                                              confined to limbwood, and that quite often the resulting products are
                                              _still usable_.

                                              If every face-turned bowl or cup were made from a perfect, riven slab,
                                              this might be more of an issue. In the real world today, most of them are
                                              made from slash-sawn planks from a largely automated sawmill run by a
                                              company that doesn't give a damn. When we buy, we can look at the grain
                                              and surface knots, but especially in thicker pieces we may be looking at
                                              almost as much of a crapshoot as the limb-turner faces--and the limbs are
                                              available at firewood prices, or free for the taking!

                                              Today it can make sense to cut limbs into blanks, do a very quick and
                                              rough hollowing, and set them aside to dry. The ones that come out OK get
                                              fancy finishing efforts and can be lovely pieces; the ones that warp badly
                                              or crack go right back to the firewood pile from whence they came. IMHO
                                              it's worth considering whether period woodworkers may have done the same.

                                              Another bit of evidence that prejudice against reaction wood is far from
                                              universal--look at the traditional craftsmen who deliberately seek or
                                              create it. Boatbuilders valued pasture oaks for the "grown knees" that
                                              could be sawn out where large curved limbs joined the trunk. This wood
                                              was used for some of the most important structural parts of boats and
                                              ships, where quality was important and tight fits essential. Handle
                                              makers all over central Europe, and occasionally elsewhere, would tie
                                              saplings or limbs into curves and leave them that way, coming back several
                                              years later to cut custom-curved handle wood. I'm sure that such wood
                                              reacts and moves as it dries--but I strongly suspect that these people had
                                              _skilled knowledge_ of the wood's behavior. That the reactions were
                                              largely predictable, to someone who had been doing this work
                                              professionally for many years, perhaps?

                                              Just a thought--we may be seeing craft-revival books that are echoing the
                                              prejudices and working rules of precision cabinetmakers and joiners when
                                              they suggest avoiding limb wood. Green woodworkers in period may have had
                                              an entirely different set of priorities.

                                              Ulfhedinn
                                            • James Winkler
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Dec 20, 2009
                                                There is a great deal of information and analysis of extant artifacts relating to bowl/cup turning in "The Archaeology of York: Small Finds" book.

                                                Morris, Carole A
                                                The Archaeology of York
                                                Vol. 17 The Small Finds
                                                Fasc. 13 Craft, Industry and Everyday Life: Wood and Woodworking in Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York

                                                York: Council for British Archaeology, 2000
                                                xiii, 379 p., ill., bib., ISBN: 1902771109

                                                Excellent source that might answer a lot of your questions.  (Lot of good information on other Anglo/Scandinavian wood working as well plus a great discussion on lathes...)

                                                Chas.

                                              • n7bsn
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Dec 20, 2009
                                                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, James Winkler <jrwinkler@...> wrote:

                                                  > There is a great deal of information and analysis of extant artifacts relating to bowl/cup turning in "The Archaeology of York: Small Finds" book.
                                                  >

                                                  > Morris, Carole A
                                                  > The Archaeology of York
                                                  > Vol. 17 The Small Finds
                                                  > Fasc. 13 Craft, Industry and Everyday Life: Wood and Woodworking in Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York
                                                  > York: Council for British Archaeology, 2000
                                                  > xiii, 379 p., ill., bib., ISBN: 1902771109
                                                  >

                                                  > Excellent source that might answer a lot of your questions. (Lot of good information on other Anglo/Scandinavian wood working as well plus a great discussion on lathes...)

                                                  and worth the investment, great work. But I'm not recalling any reference to the grain orientation in the cores.

                                                  BTW, visiting the dig is a little like visiting Disney does Jorvik. Although the live demo's after the "action ride" were better.

                                                  If you are interested in pottery, they have a great book on that too (gave one to our local pottery laurel and I thought she would die of happy)

                                                  Ralg
                                                  AnTir
                                                • leaking pen
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Dec 20, 2009
                                                    They do ?  (the tying of weights)  I have a piece of eucalyptus (limb wood) that I made a cup out of once, that had had a heavy weight (bird feeder) that had caused the wood to turn becuase of the way it was tied on, slowly through the years.  I wish i still had it, it turned out gorgeously, with a curved grain.   I always thought about doing that artificially myself.  Soon as I own property with trees on it.

                                                  • Brian Starke
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Dec 20, 2009
                                                      Eucalyptus always twists as it dries.  Because eucalyptus grows very fast, in California there are large woods of eucalyptus planted for the purpose of making railroad ties.  Unfortunately, when the trees were cut the resulting ties twisted so badly that they were useless.  So the eucalyptus trees were abandoned where they grew.

                                                      So my brother-in-law told me, and I will continue to believe him until someone gives me contrary information.
                                                      Geoffrey Featherstonehaugh
                                                      known in the modern world as Brian E. Starke

                                                    • Eric
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Dec 20, 2009
                                                        Ralg,

                                                        I reference the woodworking book often and it does indeed discuss which finds are end grain and which are face turned.

                                                        In addition to the pottery book, they also have books on the iron work finds, the non-ferrous metal finds and leatherwork, amongst other titles.

                                                        I should apologize, I'm on vacation in Kailua/Kona, away from my books so I can't cite each of these books properly.

                                                        In Service to the Dream,
                                                        Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
                                                        Ashgrove, Barony of Angels, Caid

                                                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "n7bsn" <n7bsn@...> wrote:

                                                        > and worth the investment, great work. But I'm not recalling any reference to the grain orientation in the cores.
                                                        >
                                                        > BTW, visiting the dig is a little like visiting Disney does Jorvik. Although the live demo's after the "action ride" were better.
                                                        >
                                                        > If you are interested in pottery, they have a great book on that too (gave one to our local pottery laurel and I thought she would die of happy)
                                                        >
                                                        > Ralg
                                                        > AnTir

                                                      • n7bsn
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Dec 22, 2009
                                                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Wm G <wagrot@...> wrote:

                                                          > Point. I have looked at turned cups in the museum in London and saw a
                                                          > metal insert (think copper freeze plug) in the center of the bottom of
                                                          > the cup - My theory is it was to protect from the massive soak-in of
                                                          > liquids in the core wood (the cups were turned from limbs centered at
                                                          > the core). There was some sort of mark stamped in the copper coin as
                                                          > well, so it may have served as a makers mark.
                                                          > Riley G.

                                                          If you check the following photo, you will see something like what you describe
                                                          http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dMeLSAcoyho/SvGdy06Ib6I/AAAAAAAABek/9_K1X7dWulI/s1600-h/11-individual.jpg

                                                          Since it's burl, I don't think we can give any real idea of wood-grain direction, but that certainly looks like a metal plug in the center

                                                          Photo from Robin Wood's blog, where he states it's a 13th C mazer from Canterbury

                                                          TTFN
                                                          Ralg
                                                          AnTir
                                                        • Jeff
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Dec 23, 2009
                                                            I'm thinking that this is a communion cup, and that's probably Jesus on the disk.

                                                            Jeff/Geoff

                                                            > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Wm G <wagrot@> wrote:
                                                            > >
                                                            > > Point. I have looked at turned cups in the museum in London and saw a
                                                            > > metal insert (think copper freeze plug) in the center of the bottom of
                                                            > > the cup - My theory is it was to protect from the massive soak-in of
                                                            > > liquids in the core wood (the cups were turned from limbs centered at
                                                            > > the core). There was some sort of mark stamped in the copper coin as
                                                            > > well, so it may have served as a makers mark.
                                                            > > Riley G.
                                                            >
                                                            > If you check the following photo, you will see something like what you describe
                                                            > http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dMeLSAcoyho/SvGdy06Ib6I/AAAAAAAABek/9_K1X7dWulI/s1600-h/11-individual.jpg
                                                            >
                                                            > Since it's burl, I don't think we can give any real idea of wood-grain direction, but that certainly looks like a metal plug in the center
                                                            >
                                                            > Photo from Robin Wood's blog, where he states it's a 13th C mazer from Canterbury
                                                            >
                                                            > TTFN
                                                            > Ralg
                                                            > AnTir

                                                          • Jeff
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Dec 23, 2009
                                                              Or for baptism, and it's John.

                                                              Me again. I really ought stop talking to myself....