Re: 13th and 14th century period tools?

  • Steve Mercer
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 25, 2009
      >> There is a woodcut ( I think it's a woodcut ) of Noah
      >> building the arc that shows a lot of tools, a triptych of
      >> St Joseph...... and I know I've seen others, just not sure
      >> where....

      The Joseph making Mousetraps picture is the right-hand panel from the
      Merode Altarpiece, in the Cloisters Museum in New York, USA

      The Noah building the ark picture you are referring to is probably the
      one from The Bedford book of Hours

      A bad online version can be seen here:
      http://www.manuscriptcollection.com/acatalog/FulF-bed02.JPG

      A good version is in this book:
      http://www.amazon.com/Bedford-Hours-Medieval-Manuscripts-British/dp/1561310212

      -Justin
    • sdhunter3
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 25, 2009
        Fergal,

        Great idea! As has been pointed out already, many woodworking tools have changed little since the Roman times. In some cases, e.g. planes, the Romans used iron body planes which were not re-introduced until the 19th century (Bailey patents c. 1860). Also, the forged, iron part of many woodworking tools is only a part of the tool. There is usually some kind of handle, holder etc. for the metal part. The tool bodies were made of wood, probably by the woodworker himself. "How to Make Carpentry Tools: An Illustrated Manual by Aaron Moore" (Practical Action (1998), Edition: 2nd, Paperback, 240 pages) is an interesting book on making wooden tools, the blades, bits, etc. are assumed to be available from a local smith. While not all of the tool designs are period (see e.g. "The history of woodworking tools" by W. L. Goodman for a chronology of tool development), I feel that the techniques presented for tool making are basically similar to period techniques.

        Sir Stanford

      • beorn@tribewodenthor.org
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 26, 2009
          Though it is a bit earlier, going on the idea that hand tools have not
          evolved too much, (with the exception of the saw,) I would suggest
          also to look at the tools from the mastermyr find, a pretty good
          collection that has facinated me for years

          and a question of my own . . . at what point do we see a shift from a
          spoon auger type drill bits to the twist type bits like gimlets.
          this question came up in my group the other day and I made a guess but
          was not certain of the answer.

          Thank you
          Beorn oldwolf
          www.tribewodenthor.org
        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 26, 2009
            Yeah, not a lot of change between tools from the time between Mastermyr and Moxon. And there's a lot of familiar forms in Roman finds as well.

            I have a 14th C image of Noah using a twisted gimlet-style (pod auger) bit on a big breast-drill. The twist-spiral type, I've not seen before the 18th Century.

            Jeff

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, beorn@... wrote:

            > Though it is a bit earlier, going on the idea that hand tools have not
            > evolved too much, (with the exception of the saw,) I would suggest
            > also to look at the tools from the mastermyr find, a pretty good
            > collection that has facinated me for years
            >
            > and a question of my own . . . at what point do we see a shift from a
            > spoon auger type drill bits to the twist type bits like gimlets.
            > this question came up in my group the other day and I made a guess but
            > was not certain of the answer.
            >
            > Thank you
            > Beorn oldwolf
            > www.tribewodenthor.org

          • james
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 27, 2009
              Well if one wanted to include the Mastermyr, then they might also include the Flixborough Hoard as well to compare evolution or sameness of tool design. I believe it's middle Saxon or there abouts but then again, maybe that's straying a bit from the named goal of 13th and 14th too much.

              It'd be nice to see a chronology of tool forms based on datable finds.

              Cedric