New here,....Intro.

  • windsingersmoon
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
      Hi.
      I'm Shara, aka Asa of the Wood (I prefer Shara)
      I heard about this board on another sca one (Medieval Encampments)
      I'm a woodcarver for over 30 years, and a general wood-worker (with
      hand-tools, and Period tools) for almost as long.
      I authored a book/special edition, for a local shire newsletter,
      (the issue was titled "Woodcraft") which later went on to win a
      William Blackfox Award
      I research Anything having to do with period wood and tools, my
      files are extensive and my library wonderful on the subject.
      I've done a few articles for the (no-longer published) 'Sacred
      Spaces' (Known world architectural guild newsletter) and some for
      the 'Early Period' newsletter (which can be found, on-line now, at
      the House Barra site I'll post at the end of this intro-message)

      I specialize in Viking and Celtic styles, mostly high relief work.
      But I also love architecture, and have built a 14th century style
      Norwegian Stueloft/Stabbur in my back yard, 2-stories high. (a pix
      or two in one of the links below) I have plans to build a Viking
      Longhouse on the terrace below the Stuloft, but not until after we
      have major water damage on our real house torn out and replaced with
      a cool Medieval/Viking-look hall roof-line and timbered interior.

      I come from a family of electricians, but am not a fan of electrical
      tools. (the stuloft took 2 years of work with exclusively hand tools
      know to the time, and all our spare time) I love the old ones, the
      vintage handtools. I also do a Lot af research on period wood-
      working tools (and some on Period textile-working tools, but only
      because they're wooden tools)

      I keep a number of woodworking/carving projects going on, all the
      time, but right now my passion is reproducing a number of the
      carvings, etc. from the Oseberg Ship. I've recently completed the
      3' carved panel at the rear of the ship (and need to find my floppy
      with the pictures of it,...) I plan in the near future to start
      work on one of the wagon/sled end panels. The fancy dragons ? I
      think I'll leave for someone who has pix of the carving on them from
      all angles,.....

      I'll make furniture, but it's the carvings I'm most experienced at.
      I look forward to the give and take on this board.
      Shara (ps, y'all can see examples of my works on the following links:
      http://www.angelfire.com/ga/waterbearingfish/marcherlord/asashara.htm
      http://www.housebarra.com/asa/
    • windsingersmoon
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
        (a note on the links,....turns out ya have to copy paste the
        angelfire address onto the address bar, and add the 'l' to the end,
        to get there. At the site, my sca brother (who did a Wonderful job
        of it!!) has been adding things that I didn't even know were there
        (and some I haven't a clue where he found them,.....they're 'mine'
        but I don't know where he located them, as I don't remember
        telling/giving them to him,.....oh well, looks good any ole way)

        But I've discovered he's built a game out of finding pix.
        Not everything is available from the first page.
        Ya have to go to a picture/page of 1-3 pictures, and look to the
        bottom of the page, to find a path to other pix. Each page seems to
        have different pix to see at the bottom. i.e. I'm still finding
        new ones there,.....:-< <G>
        Shara

        > I'll make furniture, but it's the carvings I'm most experienced at.
        > I look forward to the give and take on this board.
        > Shara (ps, y'all can see examples of my works on the following
        links:

        http://www.angelfire.com/ga/waterbearingfish/marcherlord/asashara.htm
        > http://www.housebarra.com/asa/
      • James Winkler
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
          Greetings Shara -

          WOW... what an introduction... nice stuff out there.  From where do you hale?  Glad ya' came to join us...

          Chas. Oakley
        • kjworz@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
            Welcome!

            You never said, and it is difficult to discern from the web links... From what part of the Kingdom do you hail?

            --
            -Chirho
            Shire of Roxbury Mill, Kingdom of Atlantia

            > But I've discovered he's built a game out of finding pix.
            > Not everything is available from the first page.
            > Ya have to go to a picture/page of 1-3 pictures, and look to the
            > bottom of the page, to find a path to other pix. Each page seems to
            > have different pix to see at the bottom. i.e. I'm still finding
            > new ones there,.....:-< <G>
            > Shara
            >
            > > I'll make furniture, but it's the carvings I'm most experienced at.
            > > I look forward to the give and take on this board.
            > > Shara (ps, y'all can see examples of my works on the following

          • Dan Baker
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
              Enter and be welcome in this place,
              For all who enter here are indeed friends,
              Be they long known, or newly met.

              --
              In service to the dream,

              Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
              Privateer to the Midrealm

              Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
              (Take time to dance in the rain)

              Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

              >Hi.
              >I'm Shara, aka Asa of the Wood (I prefer Shara)
              >I heard about this board on another sca one (Medieval Encampments)
              >I'm a woodcarver for over 30 years, and a general wood-worker (with
              >hand-tools, and Period tools) for almost as long.

              Cell phone �switch� rules are taking effect � find out more here.
              http://special.msn.com/msnbc/consumeradvocate.armx
            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
                Wecome Asa of the Wood

                I like your work! I am not a carver and am currently very busy helping the
                Countess Sharra build a mundain house in the woods of Southern Ohio. I am
                interested in the " (and some on Period textile-working tools, but only
                because they're wooden tools)" Because we have several ladies that spin and
                weave in the area...and I like building tools!

                James Cunningham

                > (a note on the links,....turns out ya have to copy paste the
                > angelfire address onto the address bar, and add the 'l' to the end,
                > to get there. At the site, my sca brother (who did a Wonderful job
                > of it!!) has been adding things that I didn't even know were there
                > (and some I haven't a clue where he found them,.....they're 'mine'
                > but I don't know where he located them, as I don't remember
                > telling/giving them to him,.....oh well, looks good any ole way)
                >
                > But I've discovered he's built a game out of finding pix.
                > Not everything is available from the first page.
                > Ya have to go to a picture/page of 1-3 pictures, and look to the
                > bottom of the page, to find a path to other pix. Each page seems to
                > have different pix to see at the bottom. i.e. I'm still finding
                > new ones there,.....:-< <G>
                > Shara
                >
                > > I'll make furniture, but it's the carvings I'm most experienced at.
                > > I look forward to the give and take on this board.
                > > Shara (ps, y'all can see examples of my works on the following
                > links:
                > >
                > http://www.angelfire.com/ga/waterbearingfish/marcherlord/asashara.htm
                > > http://www.housebarra.com/asa/

              • windsingersmoon
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
                  <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:
                  > Greetings Shara -
                  >
                  > WOW... what an introduction... nice stuff out there. From where
                  do you hale? Glad ya' came to join us...

                  > Chas. Oakley
                  Georgia, about an hour west of Atlanta.
                  Thankyou
                  <<<<GGGG>>>>>
                  Shara
                • windsingersmoon
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, kjworz@c... wrote:

                    > Welcome!
                    >
                    > You never said, and it is difficult to discern from the web
                    links... From what part of the Kingdom do you hail?

                    > --
                    > -Chirho
                    > Shire of Roxbury Mill, Kingdom of Atlantia
                    > Silver Spring, MD

                    Meridies
                    Shara

                  • windsingersmoon
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
                      <cunning@f...> wrote:
                      > Wecome Asa of the Wood
                      >
                      > I like your work! I am not a carver and am currently very busy
                      helping the
                      > Countess Sharra build a mundain house in the woods of Southern
                      Ohio. I am
                      > interested in the " (and some on Period textile-working tools, but
                      only
                      > because they're wooden tools)" Because we have several ladies
                      that spin and
                      > weave in the area...and I like building tools!
                      >
                      > James Cunningham

                      Please tell Countess Sharra, that my lord and I were in a
                      Wendy's in GA, next to I-20,....my lord came back to the table to
                      tell me, : "there's a girl, at the counter, who's name tag
                      says 'Shara'"
                      We went several more times. She was always there.
                      One day I made a point of going to the counter to ask her about her
                      name (make a note here, the girl was about 18-20) I said it
                      was 'very unusual' and asked if she knew why her parents had chosen
                      it ?" She said she had asked her mother,....and her mother told
                      her she had "Made it up" I smiled at the girl, and looked at my
                      own wrist, where I turned a well-worn beaded name bracelet around
                      for her to see. On the bracelet, were letter beads spelling out the
                      name "Shara" As she looked at the bracelet in total amazement,
                      I didn't bother telling her it had only been my name for 21+ years,
                      and I didn't tell her where it originated,....but I'd love to have
                      been a fly on the wall when she got home ! <GGGGGG>
                      Shara (I LOve beilding the tools ! the House Barra site has pix
                      of an sca demo and workshop I'd done, with a number of my antique
                      tool collection on display. Some are Medieval and Viking
                      reproductions, the rest are all tools known in period.
                      Not much in the way of local textile workers here, I mostly make for
                      displays. What I think of as bringing the 'Museum out of the books
                      and into real hands, to look at." My most prized books are my
                      museum catalogs, with clear photos and measurements, and when I'm
                      lucky, line drawings.
                      S.
                    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 16, 2003
                        Could you give me the "were to find" on a museum catalog that has the most
                        viking/early period fiber working tools?

                        James Cunningham

                      • asa.wood@excite.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 17, 2003
                          Ugh.
                          Lemme think about it.
                          We're currently in the process of clearing ALL the thousands of
                          books of our library out of the house, to save them from the roof
                          caving in,.......but as we get them out, and pack them dryly, we've
                          been packing them according to subject matter. (i.e. all the Viking
                          books are in 2 large bins,....) IF I have anything (I saw something
                          yesterday that might be the best I have on that subject),...
                          Your very best bet would likely be from the books put out in York,
                          England. (that's where the books came from I glanced at, on their
                          way to storage) i.e. seems like one did have a number of wooden
                          textile things in it,.......if you can't find the address in a
                          search engine, I may be able to find it for you. The Museum,
                          there at the Jorvik center (seems like 'York Trust' is what you want
                          to search under) has quite a new books (museum catalogs) on
                          archeological finds. Also check the National Museum of Ireland.
                          They too, have a number of books on Viking finds. In fact, my VERY
                          most favorite book from there, is called "Viking-Age Decorated Wood"
                          (Randalin,......heads up,......this is the same book you were so
                          page by page enjoying looking at, last night. I Think I can get at
                          my cards to look up the author,....Lang, James T.
                          While I have the list out, I'll chck on those York books I have.

                          Haven't found them yet, but there Is another unique book:
                          Earwood, Caroline - "Domestic Wooden Artifacts" that concentrates
                          mostly on ones of the Celtic/Vikings/Ireland area.
                          Be warned though. While there's stuff in this book I've seen no-
                          where else, the book is also VERY expensive. I'd expected to find
                          it Far more heavily illustrated than it turned out to be

                          Okay, one of the York books :

                          Mainman, A.J. + Rogers "Small Finds - Craft, Industry, and Everyday
                          Life" York Archeological Trust, York, Eng.

                          Hmmmmmm may have to go check my bins,........dreddddd,....it's cold
                          out there,....I'm typing wearing gloves, in here,.....oh, well, I'm
                          dressed for the outside,....Okay,...that solves That mystery,....I
                          knew I had um, but when I checked, they weren't in my
                          records,....for a very good reason,....seems I failed to put them
                          there,....! But,....brought them in, to fix that, and can tell ya
                          for sure, which has what.

                          Ah Ha
                          The book (Mainman)has "Finds from Anglo-Scandanavian York"
                          LOTSA stone etc. spindle whorls, and honeing stones,lotsa amber
                          beads and pendants, glass works bits, pottery bits, loom weights,
                          bronze needles, soapstone bits and 'lamps', spoons, metal bits etc.,
                          scale parts, weights, A Hnefatafl game I've missed reproducing
                          somehow,....I need to tell some one about, playing pieces, strap
                          ends,and buckles,brooches, NICE pins !, rings,pendants, lotsa glass
                          beads, toilet impliments, carved stone pieces, etc.

                          Another of the York books (one of two I forgot to record,
                          somehow,....I had a rule, after I statrted to record newly bought
                          books, to never put away a book until after it was recorded and
                          given a Lib code number, which went on all copies made from the
                          books for my files,......no more wondering where what came
                          from,...look up the code on the page, and go pull the book. This
                          was a total necessity when I competed.

                          Anyway.
                          The following book is one that got missed:

                          Morris, Carole A. Wood and Woodworking in Anglo-Scandanavia and
                          Medieval York"/ The Archeology of York The Small Finds 17/13 Craft,
                          Industry and Everyday Life
                          Around 250 pages to the book GOOD BOOK !!!! Lotsa Treenware, etc
                          in it (and some textile tools) How many, I can't say without going
                          through the book page by page. But as far as I know I'm not sure
                          there Is a book exclusively on Viking-age wooden Textile tools.

                          'Wood' doesn't survive near as well as other matrials, and so it's
                          often one of the most difficult things to research, in regards to
                          looking for primary source examples. In my home library,...this
                          book, and the Lang one from Dublin (National Museum) are the two,
                          VERY best books I have on Viking Wood things. The Earwood book is
                          my third best.

                          When you're looking at wood that has survived, you Need to keep in
                          mind that what you see (in the catalogs) is the best they were able
                          to preserve what they found,...that more often than not, the object
                          has lost wood from the long-grain edges. i.e. you need to mentally
                          fill in more wood, along the long sides of most pieces. Randalin
                          was asking me about that, last night, when she was looking at the
                          remains of a bowl from Dublin,....it looked like the bowl was long
                          and narrow,.....but in truth, it was turned 'round' when it was
                          first made, and most likely turned 'green' as it was easier to work.
                          When the bowl finished drying/shrinking, it always winds up oval-
                          shaped, due to the way the long sides shrink more than the ends.
                          Then the bowl gets buried for many hundreds of years,....the long
                          sides of the wood are weaker, and more inclined to break off, along
                          the grain, resulting in the archeologist finding/rescueing more in
                          length, than width. There's also a certain amount of distortion to
                          keep in mind. Back in my early research days, I was constantly
                          puzzled by a certain wooden (Viking) cup which had been found. The
                          shape of it was strange looking, til it eventually dawned on me that
                          it was shaped that way by the tons of earth that had crushed down
                          upon it, and the archeologists/restorers had simply cleaned it, and
                          preserved it, without attempting to try and force the poor tortured
                          wood back into it's original shape, which was "U"-shaped (it
                          looks 'D'-shaped in the photos/line-drawings)

                          I showed Randalin a piece found in Dublin, identified as a 'cross
                          arm/hammer' something. I disagree. For Many reasons, I
                          believe it was simply a child's wooden ax head. I enlarged it to
                          found size, then followed the curvature of the sides, and they
                          curved out un-equally, clearly creating the front end of a Viking ax
                          head, child size. I reproduced it, whole, as such (No, it's not in
                          any of the pix. I have a number of Viking toys and textile tool
                          reproductions that have not yet made it in front of my camera
                          lense,...something I need to correct)
                          The Lang book states though, that their purpose is no to interpret,
                          but to record the finds. I have loved that book so much, it's
                          almost falling apart, from where I've xeroxed so much out of it for
                          my files, and enlarged SO many pieces to actual size, to reproduce.
                          For the Viking-age woodcrafter/carver, I can't stress it's value
                          enough.

                          Another good book to add to any Viking library is "From Viking to
                          Crusader" I found it at Pennsic, almost a doz. years ago, and
                          hesitated to spend the 65$ on it the merchant wanted,.....but, like
                          the Lang book, I have xeroxed it near to death, for EVery thing it
                          has in it ! (the Earwood book cost more, 3 or 4 years later, and
                          had not a fraction the illustrations as the V-C. book) Lotsa wood
                          stuff in it (and more) it also contains the large platter Randalin
                          is making steady progress on)

                          Don't know if I've answered your question or not.
                          But do check out the two museums of available books. They've both,
                          no doubt added more since I last looked in on them. The Lang book I
                          bought At the museum, their last, on-shelf copy, at the time, but
                          I've since seen that Amazon has it, so ya might check there, first.
                          The York books, you can probably have to order from them. I used a
                          credit card, and it took FOREVER for them to arrive by slow boat,
                          but they're good books. Oh, the other one I had forgotten to
                          record of theirs, was another 'Small Finds" book on bone,
                          antler,ivory, horn" There's spoons, lucets (!!!!) LOTSA combs,
                          pins, etc in it.
                          Enjoy the quest.
                          Shara

                          <cunning@f...> wrote:
                          > Could you give me the "were to find" on a museum catalog that has
                          the most
                          > viking/early period fiber working tools?
                          >
                          > James Cunningham
                          >
                          > What I think of as bringing the 'Museum out of the books
                          > > and into real hands, to look at." My most prized books are my
                          > > museum catalogs, with clear photos and measurements, and when I'm
                          > > lucky, line drawings.
                        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 17, 2003
                            Thanks for the work in the cold!!

                            James Cunningham

                            snip----- Original Message ----- IF I have anything (I saw something
                            > yesterday that might be the best I have on that subject),...
                            > Your very best bet would likely be from the books put out in York,
                            > England. (that's where the books came from I glanced at, on their
                            > way to storage) i.e. seems like one did have a number of wooden
                            > textile things in it,.......if you can't find the address in a
                            > search engine, I may be able to find it for you. The Museum,
                            > there at the Jorvik center (seems like 'York Trust' is what you want
                            > to search under) has quite a new books (museum catalogs) on
                            > archeological finds.
                            snip
                          • windsingersmoon
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 18, 2003