RE: [medievalsawdust] "Rohirric" Chest - finished!

  • logan
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 6, 2003
      Message
      images were fine on my computer.

      regards
      logan
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Tim Bray [mailto:tbray@...]
      Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2003 1:26 PM
      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [medievalsawdust] "Rohirric" Chest - finished!

      That is one fine chest.  Vivat.

      Thanks!

      Is it a commission, something you made for a speculative sale, or for your
      personal use at events?

      A commission.  In fact the customer did the conceptual design, and I worked out how to do the joinery.  Otherwise I would not have tried to do those tusk-tenons on the ends in conjunction with a clamped-front; there's an inherent conflict there.  Clamped-front chests join front-to-back, not end-to-end.

      I showed this to a friend on his computer, and the photos were blurry and pixellated.  Anyone else having trouble with this?

      Thanks again,
      Colin

      http://www.albionworks.net/Rohirric/page1.htm

      Photos of it "in progress" are in the Photos section of this Group, in the
      folder "Colin deBray."

    • mahee of acre
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 15, 2003
        > Otherwise I would not have tried to do those tusk-tenons on the
        ends in conjunction with a clamped-front

        What are some examples of tusk-tenons? I see sort of how you used
        them here, but are there other example that I might look at to see
        how they would have been used?

        Thank you.

        your servant,
        mahee
      • Tom Rettie
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 15, 2003
          Quoting mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@...>:

          > What are some examples of tusk-tenons? I see sort of how you used
          > them here, but are there other example that I might look at to see
          > how they would have been used?

          Commonly used on trestles, bed frames, and large framework structures such as
          looms, printing presses, etc.

          Here's some more info:

          http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/tusktenons.pdf

          --
          Tom Rettie tom@...
          www.his.com/~tom/index.html
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 15, 2003
            I am sorry, I ment a chest that uses them. Do you have any examples
            of a chest that uses tusk-tenons or was it only for this chest that
            you have ever seen or know of them being used?

            Thank you again,

            your servant,
            mahee of acre

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tom Rettie <tom@h...> wrote:
            > Quoting mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@y...>:
            >
            > > What are some examples of tusk-tenons? I see sort of how you used
            > > them here, but are there other example that I might look at to
            see
            > > how they would have been used?
            >
            > Commonly used on trestles, bed frames, and large framework
            structures such as
            > looms, printing presses, etc.
            >
            > Here's some more info:
            >
            > http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/tusktenons.pdf
            >
            > --
            > Tom Rettie tom@h...
            > www.his.com/~tom/index.html
          • Tim Bray
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 15, 2003
              Mahee asked:

              >What are some examples of tusk-tenons?

              They are most commonly seen in our period on trestle tables (the 15th -
              16th century kind, with two supports and a horizontal stretcher, not the
              earlier boards-on-tressels kind). You also see them in some timber frames,
              and in ironwork (the 14th century iron framework inside the spire of
              Salisbury Cathedral uses them!). Yet another common use was to hold wheels
              onto axles; the period equivalent of the cotter pin.

              They are my second-favorite joint (after drawbored M&T) because they are so
              strong, yet easy to knockdown and reassemble multiple times. A pain to
              make, though.

              Post-period, they are almost ubiquitous on Arts & Crafts furniture.

              I recommend Tom's article!

              Cheers,
              Colin

              Albion Works