Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Stackable Chest Plans

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 24, 2009
      I tend to pack that kinda stuff so it will not spill out anyway,
      just because of Murphy.

      It it can spill it will.

      followed closely by

      If you find a way to keep it from spilling you will knock it over just after you open it anyway
      and probably dumping it into the grass.... especially if it is pins, beads, needles or any other
      grouping of small objects that would be a PITA to pick up.

      From: Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@yahoo. com>
      To: medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:56:02 -0800 (PST)

      see linked photo... not exactly the same
      but it might give you some ideas. They
      need to have a latch on at least one of
      them, but they do stack and they do not
      look like they were designed to stack.

      http://s147. photobucket. com/albums/ r295/ConalOhAirt /Chests%20and% 20Boxes/? action=view& current=f7aa. jpg

    • Iain mac an Bhaird
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 24, 2009
        I did this with a series of Osberg-style chests.  The slight angle of the side boards allows them to stack with just enough room for the rope handles.  If you are interested I can try to remember to measure the angle when I get home (as that is truly the key to this feature).  While there are several photos of these chests on my website, I don't have any that show the stacking feature (the closest is a picture showing a stack of the three different sizes I've made).  http://gryffonsbrush.tigerfire.net

        -Iain

        I am trying to develop a chest which is like the mastermyr chest (but without the curved top.
        I would like to make it so the chests could be stacked on top of one another and the rope handles would be in between the legs of the chest on top. (mainly so I can store all of my stuff for my family easily and make transporting simpler)
        However, I am not having any luck in figuring out the measurements.
        Has anyone ever done anything like this before?
      • jljonsn9663
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 25, 2009
          We rely on plans way too much these days. Plans and angle calculations aren't so necessary. All you need to do is figure that the difference in width on each end of the face board between the top and the bottom should be the thickness of the end board, plus the thickness of the rope handles. Scribe this distance on the bottom end of the board, scribe the angle, and cut it. If you are uncomfortable with this, make trials with scrap of inexpensive wood.

          Jeff

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Iain mac an Bhaird <iainmacabhaird@...> wrote:

          > I did this with a series of Osberg-style chests. The slight angle of
          > the side boards allows them to stack with just enough room for the
          > rope handles. If you are interested I can try to remember to measure
          > the angle when I get home (as that is truly the key to this
          > feature). While there are several photos of these chests on my
          > website, I don't have any that show the stacking feature (the closest
          > is a picture showing a stack of the three different sizes I've
          > made). http://gryffonsbrush.tigerfire.net
          >
          > -Iain
          >
          > >I am trying to develop a chest which is like the mastermyr chest
          > >(but without the curved top.
          > >I would like to make it so the chests could be stacked on top of one
          > >another and the rope handles would be in between the legs of the
          > >chest on top. (mainly so I can store all of my stuff for my family
          > >easily and make transporting simpler)
          > >However, I am not having any luck in figuring out the measurements.
          > >Has anyone ever done anything like this before?

        • bigfredlab
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 25, 2009
            I took a look at your site. That is more or less what I was shooting for. If you could measure the angles, that would be great.

            Thanks

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 25, 2009
              Sage advise for sure . . .

              The chests look great. However, for my purpose, I need to be able to stack 5 boxes (one for each of my family), at least. And me having more than one "Murphy Box" is just asking for trouble 8)

              > I tend to pack that kinda stuff so it will not spill out anyway,
              > just because of Murphy.
              >
              > It it can spill it will.
              >
              > followed closely by
              >
              > If you find a way to keep it from spilling you will knock it over just after you open it anyway
              > and probably dumping it into the grass.... especially if it is pins, beads, needles or any other
              > grouping of small objects that would be a PITA to pick up.
              >
              > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
              >
              > Aude Aliquid Dignum
              > ' Dare Something Worthy '

            • Iain mac an Bhaird
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2009
                I took a look at your site. That is more or less what I was shooting for. If you could measure the angles, that would be great.

                The angle is about 9 degrees on the medium and large sized chests that I built, but less on the small ones.
                Truly the most important thing is that the difference between the bottom dimension (at the feet) and the top (the seat) is the same, or a little wider, than the width of your side/feet and the handles.  If you start from here the angle is almost a side effect.

                -Iain