Re: [medievalsawdust] hand plane 'rest' position

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 6, 2003
      >Did he give a reason to NOT lay them
      >on their sides?

      I'd say the question should be the other way around. Why would you lay
      them that way, exposing the blade to damage? How is laying them blade-down
      on the bench supposed to do more harm than _using_ them blade-down?

      That whole argument about laying them on their sides never made any sense
      to me at all. It's kind of like worrying about how to sheathe your sword,
      after using it to hack at people in armor.

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works
      Furniture and Accessories
      For the Medievalist!
      http://www.albionworks.net
      http://www.albionworks.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2004
        FOURTY POUNDS! *sigh*

        Why do good books have to be so expensive.

        Will

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "B.S.R.Lee" <bsrlee@z...>
        wrote:
        > I was book browsing the other night and found a copy of V.
        Chinnery's
        > '<http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1851490132>Oak<http://ww
        w.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1851490132>
        > Furniture: The British Tradition '.
        >
        > Seems it has been re-printed - you can order it from Amazon UK but
        not the
        > US store - just another example of the Amazon strangeness.
        >
        > regards
        > Brusi of Orkney
      • Tim Bray
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2004
          Welcome, Will!

          >FOURTY POUNDS! *sigh*
          >
          >Why do good books have to be so expensive.

          This particular one is worth it, though. Try a used bookstore search; it
          was distributed in America a few years ago. (After I lugged my copy home
          from England... that book has Mass!)

          Cheers,
          Colin

          Albion Works