Stackable Chest Plans

  • bigfredlab
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 23, 2009
      I am trying to develop a chest which is like the mastermyr chest (but without the curved top.

      I would like to make it so the chests could be stacked on top of one another and the rope handles would be in between the legs of the chest on top. (mainly so I can store all of my stuff for my family easily and make transporting simpler)

      However, I am not having any luck in figuring out the measurements.

      Has anyone ever done anything like this before?
    • james
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 23, 2009
        I haven't done this but an episode of the Woodwright's Shop comes to mind from several (okay many) years back where he did stackable bookshelves. First thought is they might be similar if you can find the episode info or have a copy of The Woodwright's Apprentice.

        Cedric - the not really all that helpful

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "bigfredlab" <bigfredlab@...> wrote:

        > I am trying to develop a chest which is like the mastermyr chest (but without the curved top.
        >
        > I would like to make it so the chests could be stacked on top of one another and the rope handles would be in between the legs of the chest on top. (mainly so I can store all of my stuff for my family easily and make transporting simpler)
        >
        > However, I am not having any luck in figuring out the measurements.
        >
        > Has anyone ever done anything like this before?

      • Barekr Silfri
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 24, 2009
          I would wager to guess....

          Angle the sides to the same measurement in degrees, then it would be a matter of having the inside dimensions of your legs the same or even slightly larger than the top of the bottom chest. for example if the top of the chest is 24" wide then I would make the bottom of the chest 24&1/8" on the inside between the legs. I would add some tolerance for wood warpage, expansion with temperatures etc.

          Now I have not tried these but it is on my list of projects, with moving into a new house I have a basement I plan on making into my wood shop. Just have to wire it up and I am running.

          Bear

          On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 4:41 PM, james <jeason@...> wrote:

          I haven't done this but an episode of the Woodwright's Shop comes to mind from several (okay many) years back where he did stackable bookshelves. First thought is they might be similar if you can find the episode info or have a copy of The Woodwright's Apprentice.

          Cedric - the not really all that helpful

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "bigfredlab" <bigfredlab@...> wrote:

          > I am trying to develop a chest which is like the mastermyr chest (but without the curved top.
          >
          > I would like to make it so the chests could be stacked on top of one another and the rope handles would be in between the legs of the chest on top. (mainly so I can store all of my stuff for my family easily and make transporting simpler)
          >
          > However, I am not having any luck in figuring out the measurements.
          >
          > Has anyone ever done anything like this before?

        • sean14powell
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 24, 2009
            I threw this into my CAD startion at work this morning. Unless your legs are very long, your handles set rather high and/or you don't cut out the center of your 2 legs to make 4 feet it should never be a problem. A stackable Mastermyr chest should be cut so the top of the face is leg thickness plus any lid overhang smaller then the bottom of the face. Space for a rope handle simply becomes: leg thickness + rope thickness (with ease for bend) + lid overhang.

            For a 1/2" rope and 1x12 (.75x11.25) pine boards I got an angle of about 7 degrees. I'd post a picture but I can't attach it directly to yahoo group and I can't upload to photobucket from work.

            Sean

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 24, 2009
              I'd love to see the picture. Can you send it via email?

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 24, 2009
                see linked photo... not exactly the same
                but it might give you some ideas. They
                need to have a latch on at least one of
                them, but they do stack and they do not
                look like they were designed to stack.

                http://s147..photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/Chests%20and%20Boxes/?action=view&current=f7aa.jpg

                I haven't done this but an episode of the Woodwright's Shop comes to mind from several (okay many) years back where he did stackable bookshelves. First thought is they might be similar if you can find the episode info or have a copy of The Woodwright's Apprentice.

                Cedric - the not really all that helpful

                --- In medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com, "bigfredlab" <bigfredlab@ ...> wrote:

                > I am trying to develop a chest which is like the mastermyr chest (but without the curved top.
                >
                > I would like to make it so the chests could be stacked on top of one another and the rope handles would be in between the legs of the chest on top. (mainly so I can store all of my stuff for my family easily and make transporting simpler)
                >
                > However, I am not having any luck in figuring out the measurements.
                >
                > Has anyone ever done anything like this before?

              • W. Roberts
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 24, 2009
                  Now this setup has appeal. Only "downside" I can see (no pun intended, really!)
                  is for those more delicately packed items (beads, needles, etc) that could
                  literally turn out to be a pain in the <edit> if they spill.

                  Easily remedied by NOT putting them in the chest that goes upside down, of course.

                  Thanks, Baron Conal.

                  Wolf

                  http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/Chests%20and%20Boxes/?action=view¤t=f7aa.jpg

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 24, 2009
                    I tend to pack that kinda stuff so it will not spill out anyway,
                    just because of Murphy.

                    It it can spill it will.

                    followed closely by

                    If you find a way to keep it from spilling you will knock it over just after you open it anyway
                    and probably dumping it into the grass.... especially if it is pins, beads, needles or any other
                    grouping of small objects that would be a PITA to pick up.

                    see linked photo... not exactly the same
                    but it might give you some ideas. They
                    need to have a latch on at least one of
                    them, but they do stack and they do not
                    look like they were designed to stack.

                    http://s147. photobucket. com/albums/ r295/ConalOhAirt /Chests%20and% 20Boxes/? action=view& current=f7aa. jpg

                  • Iain mac an Bhaird

                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 25, 2009
                        We rely on plans way too much these days. Plans and angle calculations aren't so necessary. All you need to do is figure that the difference in width on each end of the face board between the top and the bottom should be the thickness of the end board, plus the thickness of the rope handles. Scribe this distance on the bottom end of the board, scribe the angle, and cut it. If you are uncomfortable with this, make trials with scrap of inexpensive wood.

                        Jeff

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 25, 2009
                          I took a look at your site. That is more or less what I was shooting for. If you could measure the angles, that would be great.

                          Thanks

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 25, 2009
                            Sage advise for sure . . .

                            The chests look great. However, for my purpose, I need to be able to stack 5 boxes (one for each of my family), at least. And me having more than one "Murphy Box" is just asking for trouble 8)

                            > I tend to pack that kinda stuff so it will not spill out anyway,
                            > just because of Murphy.
                            >
                            > It it can spill it will.
                            >
                            > followed closely by
                            >
                            > If you find a way to keep it from spilling you will knock it over just after you open it anyway
                            > and probably dumping it into the grass.... especially if it is pins, beads, needles or any other
                            > grouping of small objects that would be a PITA to pick up.
                            >
                            > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                            >
                            > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                            > ' Dare Something Worthy '

                          • Iain mac an Bhaird
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 2, 2009
                              I took a look at your site. That is more or less what I was shooting for. If you could measure the angles, that would be great.

                              The angle is about 9 degrees on the medium and large sized chests that I built, but less on the small ones.
                              Truly the most important thing is that the difference between the bottom dimension (at the feet) and the top (the seat) is the same, or a little wider, than the width of your side/feet and the handles.  If you start from here the angle is almost a side effect.

                              -Iain