How would you....

  • avery1415@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 11, 2009
      Making some 1/8-1/4 stock and doing inlay or maquetry seems like a good plan to me. If I was married to the idea of hardwood, I'd do everything I could to make the pieces index one another, so I'd start out a lot like Sean did.

      I'd find two planks slightly wider than half as wide as I want my board to be.
      I'd loosely glue them together with a layer of craft paper between them.
      I'd cut the circles with the thinest kerf bandsaw blade I could lay my hands on.
      I'd split them apart and swap every other half-ring and reglue those with something like clear a clear epoxy.
      I'd resand the surfaces of my two half hardwood archery targets and stick them back together with the craftpaper trick.
      I'd cut off the excess wood (the slightly wider bit where I planed to put the center point of my circle cutting jig).
      I'd cut the whole thing in half.
      I'd cut two 45 deg.triangles out of plywood and screw them to a table saw sled. Then I'd use that to cut each half in half on the angle.
      I'd make two 67.5 deg triangles, put those on the sled and use that to cut my quadrants in half.
      I'd split the eight wedges again, swap them and glue them together.
      I'd cut the inner perimeter and outer perimeter, make the circle I was going to used as my center and fit those together using a spindle sander and holding my tounge just so.
      I'd join the center and the halves and them add my outer border.

      This way, all your lateral error in one piece is mirrored in its neighbor. Vertical error (oops, my saw blade was tilting one degree to the right) will kill you, but that one is usually easier to control.

      Avery