How would you....

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 10, 2009
      How would you go about making a byzantine chess board?

      Lots of tapered pieces..... I'm not sure my tools are of sufficient
      quality to do this easily...  1/2 of a degree off somewhere and it
      won't work.....

      I'm looking for cheats to make it fast enough so that the customer
      can afford it.....

      Link to drawing of one

      I've thought about veneer...... but that is a lot more pieces than
      I have tackled before

    • Sean Powell
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 10, 2009
        Hmmm that's a fun looking project. Reminds me of how I saw a backgamon
        board built once. If I were to do it I would treat each space as a
        trapazoid rather then a section of a circle. That would tend to make the
        board a 16 sided shape.

        Plane 2 dark walnut and 2 light maple boards and laminate together. Cut
        12.25 degrees off one side, flip over and slice through the center at
        12.5 degrees making a very tall 4 colored pie wedges 22.5 degrees wide.
        Flip the rest of the block and cut again making a second pie wedge but
        with reversed colors. Each of these pie wedges then gets sliced into 8
        equal thickness elevations. This gives you all 16 pieces.

        It's important to be very close to 12.5 degrees so cutting a scrap block
        into a 22.5 degree pie. Dice this into 4 pieces and see if it adds up to
        90 degrees. If it doesn't adjust the blade. If it's close enough you can
        always assemble the board in quarters and then hand plane or belt sand
        them for a perfect fit.

        If I wanted cheaper then that, I might grab some nice veneer plywood or
        a nice wide pine plank, drill a hole in the center, set a 90 V bit in
        your router table poking up maybe 1/8". Use the hole as a pivot point
        and router circles into the face. Now with a straight edge router in
        shallow lines. Router the perimeter as well using the center point. use
        tape and gel-stain the dark square. Plug the center hole and paint a
        nice byzantine shape in the center. Fill the V-grooves with tile grout
        or similar to hide any variation in stain lines. Seal the entire thing.

        Just my thoughts.
        Sean

        Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:

        > How would you go about making a byzantine chess board?
        >
        > Lots of tapered pieces..... I'm not sure my tools are of sufficient
        > quality to do this easily... 1/2 of a degree off somewhere and it
        > won't work.....
        >
        > I'm looking for cheats to make it fast enough so that the customer
        > can afford it.....
        >
        > Link to drawing of one
        > <http://www.drivemind.com/_/rsrc/1255747499305/circular-chess/circular-chess-chess.jpg>
        >
        > I've thought about veneer...... but that is a lot more pieces than
        > I have tackled before
        >
        > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
        >
        > Aude Aliquid Dignum
        > ' Dare Something Worthy '

      • Bruce S. R. Lee
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 10, 2009
          Don't sweat about the angles. Just make it up as 4 quarter circle
          sections, as close as you can get to 90 degrees, plane the edges
          straight, then join into 2 half circles, plane carefully to 180
          degrees and glue together onto your substrate.

          You can get suitable veneer from a heap on on-line suppliers, it does
          plane with a very sharp plane to give the straight radial sides - you
          might need a dedicated shooting board for this job. If veneer fills
          you with horror, several places like Lee Valley sell pre planed thin
          boards for box making that you could cut with a coping saw or bandsaw
          into suitable sections for gluing up, they even sell super thin 3 ply
          for a substrate in small sheets.

          regards
          Brusi of Orkney

          At 09:36 AM 11/11/2009, you wrote:

          >How would you go about making a byzantine chess board?
          >
          >Lots of tapered pieces..... I'm not sure my tools are of sufficient
          >quality to do this easily... 1/2 of a degree off somewhere and it
          >won't work.....
          >
          >I'm looking for cheats to make it fast enough so that the customer
          >can afford it.....
          >
          ><http://www.drivemind.com/_/rsrc/1255747499305/circular-chess/circular-chess-chess.jpg>Link
          >to drawing of one
          >
          >I've thought about veneer...... but that is a lot more pieces than
          >I have tackled before
          >
          >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          >
          >Aude Aliquid Dignum
          >' Dare Something Worthy '
        • Nicholas S. Malone
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11, 2009
            I think I would try making it up from the inside out, with a set of long canes lokein milliflora glass beads. Once you got the canes correct each board would just be a slice off the stick/stump!

            Bruce S. R. Lee wrote:

            Don't sweat about the angles. Just make it up as 4 quarter circle
            sections, as close as you can get to 90 degrees, plane the edges
            straight, then join into 2 half circles, plane carefully to 180
            degrees and glue together onto your substrate.

            You can get suitable veneer from a heap on on-line suppliers, it does
            plane with a very sharp plane to give the straight radial sides - you
            might need a dedicated shooting board for this job. If veneer fills
            you with horror, several places like Lee Valley sell pre planed thin
            boards for box making that you could cut with a coping saw or bandsaw
            into suitable sections for gluing up, they even sell super thin 3 ply
            for a substrate in small sheets.

            regards
            Brusi of Orkney

            At 09:36 AM 11/11/2009, you wrote:

            >How would you go about making a byzantine chess board?
            >
            >Lots of tapered pieces..... I'm not sure my tools are of sufficient
            >quality to do this easily... 1/2 of a degree off somewhere and it
            >won't work.....
            >
            >I'm looking for cheats to make it fast enough so that the customer
            >can afford it.....
            >
            ><http://www.drivemin d.com/_/rsrc/ 1255747499305/ circular- chess/circular- chess-chess. jpg>Link
            >to drawing of one
            >
            >I've thought about veneer...... but that is a lot more pieces than
            >I have tackled before
            >
            >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
            >
            >Aude Aliquid Dignum
            >' Dare Something Worthy '

            believed to be clean.

          • fantasydesigns2002
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 2009
              First off, if i was doing them for sale, the first thing i would do is take the time to build the angle jig to cut all of the pie pieces, then insted of going with each section round, i would go with the outside round, but cut all the inside pieces flat for a better gluing structure, and easier assembly..

              That's just how i would go about it for production.......

              Mike

              > How would you go about making a byzantine chess board?
              >
              > Lots of tapered pieces..... I'm not sure my tools are of sufficient
              > quality to do this easily... 1/2 of a degree off somewhere and it
              > won't work.....
              >
              > I'm looking for cheats to make it fast enough so that the customer
              > can afford it.....
              >
              > Link to drawing of one
              >
              > I've thought about veneer...... but that is a lot more pieces than
              > I have tackled before
              >
              > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
              >
              > Aude Aliquid Dignum
              > ' Dare Something Worthy '

            • Trevor Payne
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 11, 2009
                For cost effective reasons I would use one solid piece of board, then tape off, then stain the alternating squares. To add a bit more depth to the piece I would carve out the grid. Drill the center out with a big hole saw, sand, then apply linseed oil or varnish.

                Aiden

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 11, 2009

                  That was my first thought.  Veneer could be cut with a knife, and quickly enough that the hours wouldn’t mount up.   Get large enough pieces, and you could double the squares and make 2 at the same time.

                  Will

                • avery1415@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 11, 2009
                    Making some 1/8-1/4 stock and doing inlay or maquetry seems like a good plan to me. If I was married to the idea of hardwood, I'd do everything I could to make the pieces index one another, so I'd start out a lot like Sean did.

                    I'd find two planks slightly wider than half as wide as I want my board to be.
                    I'd loosely glue them together with a layer of craft paper between them.
                    I'd cut the circles with the thinest kerf bandsaw blade I could lay my hands on.
                    I'd split them apart and swap every other half-ring and reglue those with something like clear a clear epoxy.
                    I'd resand the surfaces of my two half hardwood archery targets and stick them back together with the craftpaper trick.
                    I'd cut off the excess wood (the slightly wider bit where I planed to put the center point of my circle cutting jig).
                    I'd cut the whole thing in half.
                    I'd cut two 45 deg.triangles out of plywood and screw them to a table saw sled. Then I'd use that to cut each half in half on the angle.
                    I'd make two 67.5 deg triangles, put those on the sled and use that to cut my quadrants in half.
                    I'd split the eight wedges again, swap them and glue them together.
                    I'd cut the inner perimeter and outer perimeter, make the circle I was going to used as my center and fit those together using a spindle sander and holding my tounge just so.
                    I'd join the center and the halves and them add my outer border.

                    This way, all your lateral error in one piece is mirrored in its neighbor. Vertical error (oops, my saw blade was tilting one degree to the right) will kill you, but that one is usually easier to control.

                    Avery