Re: Cherry wood issue

  • n7bsn
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 8 9:31 PM
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, conradh@... wrote:
      . Stopped

      > I also always grease the endgrain heavily, including any knots that are
      > exposed. I've even managed to dry madrone (Arbutus to you) this way with
      > no checks, over about five years time.

      Ya know, I have to say this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone using grease. Wax, yes, heavy latex paint yes, wood-sealer yes. Grease, nope.

      Considering all the other options, I don't think I would try it myself.

      Have you ever tried to boil Madrone, no I'm not kidding. We boil it all the time here, usually never thicker then 2 inches. But boil it we do. Slabs, roughed blanks, chunks.

      Have a nearly zero failure rate.

      I usually boil for a couple hours, then let it cool. Remove and wood and that's it. I seldom wax or seal the wood. The current batch went straight to waiting for finish turning

      http://pics.livejournal.com/hrollaug/pic/0006dekf.jpg
      http://pics.livejournal.com/hrollaug/pic/0006b1kr.jpg

      TTFN
      Ralg