Oak Furniture: The British Tradition by Chinnery back in print

  • B.S.R.Lee
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 5, 2003
      I was book browsing the other night and found a copy of V. Chinnery's
      '<http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1851490132>Oak<http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1851490132>
      Furniture: The British Tradition '.

      Seems it has been re-printed - you can order it from Amazon UK but not the
      US store - just another example of the Amazon strangeness.

      regards
      Brusi of Orkney
    • Tim Bray
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 6, 2003
        >Did he give a reason to NOT lay them
        >on their sides?

        I'd say the question should be the other way around. Why would you lay
        them that way, exposing the blade to damage? How is laying them blade-down
        on the bench supposed to do more harm than _using_ them blade-down?

        That whole argument about laying them on their sides never made any sense
        to me at all. It's kind of like worrying about how to sheathe your sword,
        after using it to hack at people in armor.

        Cheers,
        Colin

        Albion Works
        Furniture and Accessories
        For the Medievalist!
        http://www.albionworks.net
        http://www.albionworks.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2004
          FOURTY POUNDS! *sigh*

          Why do good books have to be so expensive.

          Will

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "B.S.R.Lee" <bsrlee@z...>
          wrote:
          > I was book browsing the other night and found a copy of V.
          Chinnery's
          > '<http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1851490132>Oak<http://ww
          w.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1851490132>
          > Furniture: The British Tradition '.
          >
          > Seems it has been re-printed - you can order it from Amazon UK but
          not the
          > US store - just another example of the Amazon strangeness.
          >
          > regards
          > Brusi of Orkney
        • Tim Bray
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2004
            Welcome, Will!

            >FOURTY POUNDS! *sigh*
            >
            >Why do good books have to be so expensive.

            This particular one is worth it, though. Try a used bookstore search; it
            was distributed in America a few years ago. (After I lugged my copy home
            from England... that book has Mass!)

            Cheers,
            Colin

            Albion Works