Re: [MedievalSawdust] sgabello chairs

  • Sean Powell
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2009
      Wow, I actually took a few pictures of these while at the Met back in
      August. I didn't know much about them but they looked like they could be
      simplified into a fun woodworking project. The back passes through the
      seat and contacts the rear leg. There was an obvious detail to keep the
      seat from splitting and the back from popping out but I can't remember
      what it was. I'm a little fuzzy on the mental details and the pictures
      aren't as bright as I would like from the lack of a flash but playing
      with the contrast and brightness might help. Here is what I have:

      Chair 1, Carved, 1575-1600:
      http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Eliz-Rivenstar/Seans%20Shop/Photo0038.jpg
      http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Eliz-Rivenstar/Seans%20Shop/Photo0039.jpg
      http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Eliz-Rivenstar/Seans%20Shop/Photo0040.jpg
      http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Eliz-Rivenstar/Seans%20Shop/Photo0041.jpg
      http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Eliz-Rivenstar/Seans%20Shop/Photo0042.jpg
      http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Eliz-Rivenstar/Seans%20Shop/Photo0043.jpg

      Chair 2, Octagonal Seat, 1489-91:
      http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Eliz-Rivenstar/Seans%20Shop/Photo0044.jpg
      http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Eliz-Rivenstar/Seans%20Shop/Photo0045.jpg
      http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Eliz-Rivenstar/Seans%20Shop/Photo0046.jpg

      I hope that these are useful.
      Sean (amateur kindling maker and metal pounder)

    • paul
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 27, 2009
        Just out of curiosity, Does anyone know of any good books on the Vasa
        artifacts, I know there are good books on the Mary Rose but have never
        seen anything similar about the Vasa

        Paul
      • simon yoxall
        Message 3 of 6 , May 27 4:11 PM

          Greetings to the list - wondering if anyone was interested in the below message (Metro Phoenix Arizona area) or if someone has a design that they could post or link to -

          my woodworking skills are still very basic,

          <snip>

          The Barony of Sundragon is accepting bids for new Baronial Thrones.

          We are looking for a new design that can be broken down for transportation to/from events.
          Please include your design ideas, drawings and estimated cost break down (up to $500) by June 30, 2010.
          You are welcome to speak with Baron Robert, Baroness Theresa or Mistress Tatiana for any suggestions on design, functionality and cost. Their contact information is in the Southwinds, Chronos and on the Kingdom and Baronial Websites.

          If your bid includes labor you will need to include a copy of your W-9 as outlined in Kingdom Financial Policy.
          Please submit your ideas for new Throans to the Baronial Regalia Officer, Lady Turrel Michelovna for presentation to the Baronial Financial Delegation.
          If your bid needs to be sent through traditional means please contact me.

          Thank You,
          Lady Turrel
          turrel@...

        • Dan Baker
          Message 4 of 6 , May 27 4:30 PM
            www.noonelike.us\~rhys

            I have done 4 sets of the glastonbury style chairs, 2 sets of  Baronial, as well as Prince, Princess, King, Queen of Midrealm.  These chairs will fit in your cost estimate if you donate labor.  And a set will fit in the back seat of a Geo Metro, which was a requirement of my Barony when I designed them. Skills required, basic to moderate, carving optional, and you can always ask around for someone else to donate the carving, I did.  My plans are on the above website.

            -Rhys

            --