sgabello chairs

  • james
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2009
      Anyone know how the legs and backs are attached for the Italian sqabello chairs. I can't seem to locate any photos that are either close enough or at good angles to tell.

      Thanks,

      Cedric
    • jtstewart@westnet.com.au
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2009

        Hi there.

        I'm not an expert but I have been doing some thinking about these chairs as well though the amount of carving and gilding to do it right is daunting.

        From the wonderfull Larsdatter site (http://www.larsdatter.com/chairs.htm) is the following that I have selected.

        If you click on this one Chair, northern Italy, second half of the 16th century (also here),

        http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/fmc403856a.jpg and click on it to get the enlarged image

        it looks like there are angled "skirts" on both sides below the seat supporting the legs that have 2 wooden pins, per side, clearly showing at the front helping hold them in place.

        These are only three that show back images.

        Chair carved by Giovanni Maria Nosseni, c. 1580 (back view, back detail)

        Chair, Venice, c. 1580-1600, There is an interesting amount of detail on the back that can be seen as it isn't decorated. It also seems to have side skirts for the legs as well.

        Chair, Dresden, c. 1590 (back view, back detail)

        Construction details for all of them are difficult to see clearly but I'm guessing that the backs are probably just tenoned in.

        The majority that you can see details on seem to have some sort of skirting to form a shallow box structure below the seat to hold the legs in place.  Some also have stretchers between the two legs. It is difficult to tell with many because their pictures are squarely facing the chair and so obscure these details.

        I hope the links all work and are helpful.

        Cheers

        John of the hills

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2009
          Wow, I actually took a few pictures of these while at the Met back in
          August. I didn't know much about them but they looked like they could be
          simplified into a fun woodworking project. The back passes through the
          seat and contacts the rear leg. There was an obvious detail to keep the
          seat from splitting and the back from popping out but I can't remember
          what it was. I'm a little fuzzy on the mental details and the pictures
          aren't as bright as I would like from the lack of a flash but playing
          with the contrast and brightness might help. Here is what I have:

          Chair 1, Carved, 1575-1600:
          http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Eliz-Rivenstar/Seans%20Shop/Photo0038.jpg
          http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Eliz-Rivenstar/Seans%20Shop/Photo0039.jpg
          http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Eliz-Rivenstar/Seans%20Shop/Photo0040.jpg
          http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Eliz-Rivenstar/Seans%20Shop/Photo0041.jpg
          http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Eliz-Rivenstar/Seans%20Shop/Photo0042.jpg
          http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Eliz-Rivenstar/Seans%20Shop/Photo0043.jpg

          Chair 2, Octagonal Seat, 1489-91:
          http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Eliz-Rivenstar/Seans%20Shop/Photo0044.jpg
          http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Eliz-Rivenstar/Seans%20Shop/Photo0045.jpg
          http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Eliz-Rivenstar/Seans%20Shop/Photo0046.jpg

          I hope that these are useful.
          Sean (amateur kindling maker and metal pounder)

        • paul
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 27, 2009
            Just out of curiosity, Does anyone know of any good books on the Vasa
            artifacts, I know there are good books on the Mary Rose but have never
            seen anything similar about the Vasa

            Paul
          • simon yoxall
            Message 5 of 6 , May 27, 2010

              Greetings to the list - wondering if anyone was interested in the below message (Metro Phoenix Arizona area) or if someone has a design that they could post or link to -

              my woodworking skills are still very basic,

              <snip>

              The Barony of Sundragon is accepting bids for new Baronial Thrones.

              We are looking for a new design that can be broken down for transportation to/from events.
              Please include your design ideas, drawings and estimated cost break down (up to $500) by June 30, 2010.
              You are welcome to speak with Baron Robert, Baroness Theresa or Mistress Tatiana for any suggestions on design, functionality and cost. Their contact information is in the Southwinds, Chronos and on the Kingdom and Baronial Websites.

              If your bid includes labor you will need to include a copy of your W-9 as outlined in Kingdom Financial Policy.
              Please submit your ideas for new Throans to the Baronial Regalia Officer, Lady Turrel Michelovna for presentation to the Baronial Financial Delegation.
              If your bid needs to be sent through traditional means please contact me.

              Thank You,
              Lady Turrel
              turrel@...

            • Dan Baker
              Message 6 of 6 , May 27, 2010
                www.noonelike.us\~rhys

                I have done 4 sets of the glastonbury style chairs, 2 sets of  Baronial, as well as Prince, Princess, King, Queen of Midrealm.  These chairs will fit in your cost estimate if you donate labor.  And a set will fit in the back seat of a Geo Metro, which was a requirement of my Barony when I designed them. Skills required, basic to moderate, carving optional, and you can always ask around for someone else to donate the carving, I did.  My plans are on the above website.

                -Rhys

                --