Re: [MedievalSawdust] Alternatives to Snipe Bills..

  • powell.sean@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009

      Those arn't difficult to make with a heat source like a map-torch. Fiddly little things though. If I were making them for re-sale they would probably cost me that for time and a bending jig. For smaller hinges you wouldn't even need heat. Bend in a loop around a larger nail and crush in a vice. Sharpen in bench grinder, heat in torch and drop in oil for that patina look.

      McMaster-Carr will sell you a box of 500 2"x1/8" in zinc plated cotter pins for less then the cost of one pair of hinges. The zinc can be burned off or removed with vinegar or muriatic acid. (do outside, Zinc fumes are mildly anoying but not really toxic unless you have a pre-existing condition. Afterwards drink a glass of milk)

      You can anneal some types of Stainless steels... but not 316 or 18-8 which is your likely material choice. These stainlesses also can not be hardened by heat-treating so the strength you get is the strength you get. Same applies to not being able to anneal the steel versions. These are meant to be deformed and take a set. A spring temper would be counter productive.

      Good luck!

      Sean

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009
        Last time I saw a demonstration for one, they were used on a Bible box. It was an episode of The Woodwright's Shop (natch)

        Sincerely,

        Lucien
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009
          Best explanation - http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/schedule/27season_video.html

          The top one, bible box. The pins are bent back like clinch nails.

          It's period (for me, anyway) and it's just something I wanted to try. I got them positioned OK, but the steel pins were resisting being bent into staples.

          > I'm having a little trouble imagining an application for those hinges...
          >
          > Wouldn't they have to be VERY close to the edge of both the back and
          > lid to work? And that would make it likely to tear out?
          >
          > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          >
          > Aude Aliquid Dignum
          > ' Dare Something Worthy '

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009
            > Last time I saw a demonstration for one, they were used on a Bible box. It was an episode of The Woodwright's Shop (natch)

            And that's where I got the incentive to try it (natch). :-)