Alternatives to Snipe Bills..

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009
      Since snipe bill hinges cost alot ($16 a pair)
      http://www.lucianaveryblacksmith.com/catalog/snipehinges.htm

      Does anybody have alternatives? 2" cotter pins would be great, but the metal is too hard to effectively bend into a staple. Can you anneal stainless steel?
    • Zach Most
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009
        You certainly can anneal stainless steel.  With a pin like this you can even do it with a propane torch.  Heat it up to a dull orange color and let it cool slowly.  Take some care not to get it hotter than a dull orange or keep it that hot for more than a few seconds or the elements that make it stainless (mostly chromium) will migrate and your pins will be more prone to rusting.
          Gaston de Clermont
          Ansteorra

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009
          I'm having a little trouble imagining an application for those hinges...

          Wouldn't they have to be VERY close to the edge of both the back and
          lid to work? And that would make it likely to tear out?

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009

            Those arn't difficult to make with a heat source like a map-torch. Fiddly little things though. If I were making them for re-sale they would probably cost me that for time and a bending jig. For smaller hinges you wouldn't even need heat. Bend in a loop around a larger nail and crush in a vice. Sharpen in bench grinder, heat in torch and drop in oil for that patina look.

            McMaster-Carr will sell you a box of 500 2"x1/8" in zinc plated cotter pins for less then the cost of one pair of hinges. The zinc can be burned off or removed with vinegar or muriatic acid. (do outside, Zinc fumes are mildly anoying but not really toxic unless you have a pre-existing condition. Afterwards drink a glass of milk)

            You can anneal some types of Stainless steels... but not 316 or 18-8 which is your likely material choice. These stainlesses also can not be hardened by heat-treating so the strength you get is the strength you get. Same applies to not being able to anneal the steel versions. These are meant to be deformed and take a set. A spring temper would be counter productive.

            Good luck!

            Sean

            Since snipe bill hinges cost alot ($16 a pair)
            http://www.lucianaveryblacksmith.com/catalog/snipehinges.htm

            Does anybody have alternatives?  2" cotter pins would be great, but the metal is too hard to effectively bend into a staple.  Can you anneal stainless steel?

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Jim Looper
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009
              Last time I saw a demonstration for one, they were used on a Bible box. It was an episode of The Woodwright's Shop (natch)

              Sincerely,

              Lucien

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009
                Best explanation - http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/schedule/27season_video.html

                The top one, bible box. The pins are bent back like clinch nails.

                It's period (for me, anyway) and it's just something I wanted to try. I got them positioned OK, but the steel pins were resisting being bent into staples.

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009
                  > Last time I saw a demonstration for one, they were used on a Bible box. It was an episode of The Woodwright's Shop (natch)

                  And that's where I got the incentive to try it (natch). :-)