Re: Nahm Abrams Retires

  • n7bsn
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 23, 2009
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dwarf" <mross7@...> wrote:

      > Roy Underhill. And since I had read LotR first, I always thought he was from the run from somebody.

      I forget where I read it, but part of the reason for Roy's frantic pace is the production companie's desire to shoot each episode in a single day.
      Due to Roy's frantic pace, and his un-even workman ship, I'm afraid many people ended up thinking that hand-work woodworking always results in lower quality. I, myself, was not impressed with Roy's workmanship until I saw one episode where he took his time, and did a very good job.

      If you have (had now I guess) ever watched the NYWS web-cam (which was active when they were filming) you could see that it took more then a week to shoot an episode of the NYWS.

      I guess Norm's "retirement" from NYWS is not a surprise, last "season" was actually just re-airing of old episodes, with a new introduction.

      Continuing the thread on PBS wood-working shows, I really don't like the "Router Workshop" as they try to do everything with the Router, even when it's not the best tool for the job.

      I like Tim Yonder's Woodturning Workshop. He does a good job and the pace of the show is about right. But then I've become a avid turner myself.

      I've never seen the Woodsmith Shop, so I can't comment on that show

      TTFN
      Ralg
      AnTir