Re: Nahm Abrams Retires

  • Dwarf
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 22, 2009
      Roy Underhill. And since I had read LotR first, I always thought he was from the run from somebody.

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "gbeauvin" <gbeauvin@...> wrote:

      > I must concur. Though I always enjoyed the irony of watching the Woodwright Shop back-to-back with New Yankee Workshop. The woodwright fellow (who's name I can't remember) would do cool stuff with nothing but a wooden mallet, a chisel, and maybe a handsaw (his pedal-power lathe was way cool though). Then you got Norm with every tool known to man, plus a few we haven't discovered yet :).
      >
      > Fun times!
      >
      > -Guillaume
      >
      > --- powell.sean@ wrote:
      >
      > > As obnoxious as it was to watch 95% of an episode on a very cool project only to realize at the last moment that the cost of the dedicated purpose uber-tool would cost more then just buying the finish product... he was an inspiration, a reasonably good teacher and he made it look easy enough to want to try it on your own. I'm going to miss new episodes of Yankee Workshop.

    • n7bsn
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 23, 2009
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dwarf" <mross7@...> wrote:

        > Roy Underhill. And since I had read LotR first, I always thought he was from the run from somebody.

        I forget where I read it, but part of the reason for Roy's frantic pace is the production companie's desire to shoot each episode in a single day.
        Due to Roy's frantic pace, and his un-even workman ship, I'm afraid many people ended up thinking that hand-work woodworking always results in lower quality. I, myself, was not impressed with Roy's workmanship until I saw one episode where he took his time, and did a very good job.

        If you have (had now I guess) ever watched the NYWS web-cam (which was active when they were filming) you could see that it took more then a week to shoot an episode of the NYWS.

        I guess Norm's "retirement" from NYWS is not a surprise, last "season" was actually just re-airing of old episodes, with a new introduction.

        Continuing the thread on PBS wood-working shows, I really don't like the "Router Workshop" as they try to do everything with the Router, even when it's not the best tool for the job.

        I like Tim Yonder's Woodturning Workshop. He does a good job and the pace of the show is about right. But then I've become a avid turner myself.

        I've never seen the Woodsmith Shop, so I can't comment on that show

        TTFN
        Ralg
        AnTir