Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Nahm Abrams Retires

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 22, 2009
      I want a shop that would make both Norm and Roy jealous.

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 22, 2009
        Roy Underhill. And since I had read LotR first, I always thought he was from the run from somebody.

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "gbeauvin" <gbeauvin@...> wrote:

        > I must concur. Though I always enjoyed the irony of watching the Woodwright Shop back-to-back with New Yankee Workshop. The woodwright fellow (who's name I can't remember) would do cool stuff with nothing but a wooden mallet, a chisel, and maybe a handsaw (his pedal-power lathe was way cool though). Then you got Norm with every tool known to man, plus a few we haven't discovered yet :).
        >
        > Fun times!
        >
        > -Guillaume
        >
        > --- powell.sean@ wrote:
        >
        > > As obnoxious as it was to watch 95% of an episode on a very cool project only to realize at the last moment that the cost of the dedicated purpose uber-tool would cost more then just buying the finish product... he was an inspiration, a reasonably good teacher and he made it look easy enough to want to try it on your own. I'm going to miss new episodes of Yankee Workshop.

      • n7bsn
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 23, 2009
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dwarf" <mross7@...> wrote:

          > Roy Underhill. And since I had read LotR first, I always thought he was from the run from somebody.

          I forget where I read it, but part of the reason for Roy's frantic pace is the production companie's desire to shoot each episode in a single day.
          Due to Roy's frantic pace, and his un-even workman ship, I'm afraid many people ended up thinking that hand-work woodworking always results in lower quality. I, myself, was not impressed with Roy's workmanship until I saw one episode where he took his time, and did a very good job.

          If you have (had now I guess) ever watched the NYWS web-cam (which was active when they were filming) you could see that it took more then a week to shoot an episode of the NYWS.

          I guess Norm's "retirement" from NYWS is not a surprise, last "season" was actually just re-airing of old episodes, with a new introduction.

          Continuing the thread on PBS wood-working shows, I really don't like the "Router Workshop" as they try to do everything with the Router, even when it's not the best tool for the job.

          I like Tim Yonder's Woodturning Workshop. He does a good job and the pace of the show is about right. But then I've become a avid turner myself.

          I've never seen the Woodsmith Shop, so I can't comment on that show

          TTFN
          Ralg
          AnTir