Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Nahm Abrams Retires

  • powell.sean@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 21, 2009

      And he'll still cary on with 'This Old House' which will probably be in syndication for as long as people need to fix up houses.

      As obnoxious as it was to watch 95% of an episode on a very cool project only to realize at the last moment that the cost of the dedicated purpose uber-tool would cost more then just buying the finish product... he was an inspiration, a reasonably good teacher and he made it look easy enough to want to try it on your own. I'm going to miss new episodes of Yankee Workshop.

      Sean

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 21, 2009
        Maybe there will be an opening for a New Old Yankee Woodshop.

        They replaced Bob Villa...

        Cheers
        Mary Ostler
      • gbeauvin
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 22, 2009
          I must concur. Though I always enjoyed the irony of watching the Woodwright Shop back-to-back with New Yankee Workshop. The woodwright fellow (who's name I can't remember) would do cool stuff with nothing but a wooden mallet, a chisel, and maybe a handsaw (his pedal-power lathe was way cool though). Then you got Norm with every tool known to man, plus a few we haven't discovered yet :).

          Fun times!

          -Guillaume

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 22, 2009
            I want a shop that would make both Norm and Roy jealous.

            --- powell.sean@ ... wrote:

            > As obnoxious as it was to watch 95% of an episode on a very cool project only to realize at the last moment that the cost of the dedicated purpose uber-tool would cost more then just buying the finish product... he was an inspiration, a reasonably good teacher and he made it look easy enough to want to try it on your own. I'm going to miss new episodes of Yankee Workshop.

          • Dwarf
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 22, 2009
              Roy Underhill. And since I had read LotR first, I always thought he was from the run from somebody.

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "gbeauvin" <gbeauvin@...> wrote:

              > I must concur. Though I always enjoyed the irony of watching the Woodwright Shop back-to-back with New Yankee Workshop. The woodwright fellow (who's name I can't remember) would do cool stuff with nothing but a wooden mallet, a chisel, and maybe a handsaw (his pedal-power lathe was way cool though). Then you got Norm with every tool known to man, plus a few we haven't discovered yet :).
              >
              > Fun times!
              >
              > -Guillaume
              >
              > --- powell.sean@ wrote:
              >
              > > As obnoxious as it was to watch 95% of an episode on a very cool project only to realize at the last moment that the cost of the dedicated purpose uber-tool would cost more then just buying the finish product... he was an inspiration, a reasonably good teacher and he made it look easy enough to want to try it on your own. I'm going to miss new episodes of Yankee Workshop.

            • n7bsn
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 23, 2009
                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dwarf" <mross7@...> wrote:

                > Roy Underhill. And since I had read LotR first, I always thought he was from the run from somebody.

                I forget where I read it, but part of the reason for Roy's frantic pace is the production companie's desire to shoot each episode in a single day.
                Due to Roy's frantic pace, and his un-even workman ship, I'm afraid many people ended up thinking that hand-work woodworking always results in lower quality. I, myself, was not impressed with Roy's workmanship until I saw one episode where he took his time, and did a very good job.

                If you have (had now I guess) ever watched the NYWS web-cam (which was active when they were filming) you could see that it took more then a week to shoot an episode of the NYWS.

                I guess Norm's "retirement" from NYWS is not a surprise, last "season" was actually just re-airing of old episodes, with a new introduction.

                Continuing the thread on PBS wood-working shows, I really don't like the "Router Workshop" as they try to do everything with the Router, even when it's not the best tool for the job.

                I like Tim Yonder's Woodturning Workshop. He does a good job and the pace of the show is about right. But then I've become a avid turner myself.

                I've never seen the Woodsmith Shop, so I can't comment on that show

                TTFN
                Ralg
                AnTir