Re: Mastermyr chest

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 19, 2009
      Hrothgar,

      I have also made about a dozen of Viking 6 board chests, mostly starting with 1x12 pine. Like you I keep the fronts and backs vertical for simplicity and to keep the interior volume as large as possible. I use a plain 1x12 for the lid too. If I'm in a hurry I just do a full lap joint to simplify the joinery.

      My latest kick has been to plane the fronts and backs down to 3/8" and the bottom to 1/2". The empty chest is lighter and these simple changes actually increase the interior volume of a 24" long chest more than 10% with no changes to the outside dimension.

      Eirikr
      Ashgrove, Barony of Angels, Caid

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Brian Wagner <hrothgar950@...> wrote:

      > My camp chests are all Mastermyr inspired to a degree. I too like the
      > half-lap corner joint. I also like the out-sloping chest ends. I kept the
      > from & back vertical, which avoids the compound angles, and just used a flat
      > 3/4" plan lid rather than a thicker lid with hollowed interior. I have
      > about 7 in various lengths that I use regularly - I made them all the same
      > height so that they make a nice packing platform in the bottom of my
      > trailer. I had to break down and add rope handles to the one for my tools,
      > as it was a bit heavy to lift without. Reminds me, I need to make another
      > for the lathe stuff...
      > Hrothgar Fiscabana
      > Kingdom of Gleann Abhann

    • Iain mac an Bhaird
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 19, 2009
        I built a half-scale version without the fancy hardware a couple years back as a gift to our Royalty.  Was pretty straightforward.

        -Iain

        Anyone here done a mastermry reproduction/inspired chest?
        What did you learn in the process?
        What advice would you offer before I start?
        Anything surprise you?
        Anything not work like you thought it would?
        Thanks in advance!

      • conradh@efn.org
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 20, 2009
          On Mon, October 19, 2009 2:09 pm, Eric wrote:
          > All of my random Viking 6 board chests have "legs" from the end boards
          > extending below the bottom board like the Mastermyr. To pick them up, I
          > just reach around the front and back and grab the bottom, it works well
          > even with the Mastermyr fully loaded with tools, currently about 55
          > pounds.
          >
          > Along that line, if you are planning on using the chest as a tool box,
          > the original Mastermyr is surprisingly well sized, I would not scale it
          > up at all. It holds full size hand saws and all sorts of other tools.
          > If the chest was any bigger, it could get unwieldy as it got loaded up
          > with heavy stuff. The hollowed lid really makes a difference, it
          > lightens the empty box and lets you load the box with funny shaped items
          > that wouldn't fit otherwise.

          Eirikr is quite right on this one--I've had a weakness all my life for
          building boxes that were too large, and then of course filling them.
          Somehow, though, they seem heavier than they did thirty years ago...

          I'm trying to reform. I'm going to try to hold my new iron chest for
          smithy tools at events to under 100 lbs. And if that doesn't work, I'll
          go metric and try to keep it under fifty kilos.

          Long enough for a handsaw is a good dimension, so many mundane boxes can't
          manage that. But if you go for a box that long, it's good to give up on
          the idea of making it tall enough for a stool or sawing support! Try to
          include all those functions, and it gets tippy. So you make it deeper
          front to back...

          I also try to remember that "bursten" (severe hernia) was a fairly common
          cause of death for workers in the old Mortality Bills.

          Ulfhedinn