RE: [medievalsawdust] Re: hand plane 'rest' position

  • C N Schwartz
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 29, 2003
      I don't know. An artist may do it represent what he sees improperly or may
      just as inadvertently show the plane exactly as the workman left it. It
      could go either way. The pic on the front page of our group is excellent in
      the detail of shop contents it shows. Plus the distaff is accurate, or
      modern fiber folks copy that ribbon tying around it almost exactly.

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 5, 2003
        I was book browsing the other night and found a copy of V. Chinnery's
        '<http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1851490132>Oak<http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1851490132>
        Furniture: The British Tradition '.

        Seems it has been re-printed - you can order it from Amazon UK but not the
        US store - just another example of the Amazon strangeness.

        regards
        Brusi of Orkney
      • Tim Bray
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 6, 2003
          >Did he give a reason to NOT lay them
          >on their sides?

          I'd say the question should be the other way around. Why would you lay
          them that way, exposing the blade to damage? How is laying them blade-down
          on the bench supposed to do more harm than _using_ them blade-down?

          That whole argument about laying them on their sides never made any sense
          to me at all. It's kind of like worrying about how to sheathe your sword,
          after using it to hack at people in armor.

          Cheers,
          Colin

          Albion Works
          Furniture and Accessories
          For the Medievalist!
          http://www.albionworks.net
          http://www.albionworks.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2004
            FOURTY POUNDS! *sigh*

            Why do good books have to be so expensive.

            Will

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "B.S.R.Lee" <bsrlee@z...>
            wrote:
            > I was book browsing the other night and found a copy of V.
            Chinnery's
            > '<http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1851490132>Oak<http://ww
            w.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1851490132>
            > Furniture: The British Tradition '.
            >
            > Seems it has been re-printed - you can order it from Amazon UK but
            not the
            > US store - just another example of the Amazon strangeness.
            >
            > regards
            > Brusi of Orkney
          • Tim Bray
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 6, 2004
              Welcome, Will!

              >FOURTY POUNDS! *sigh*
              >
              >Why do good books have to be so expensive.

              This particular one is worth it, though. Try a used bookstore search; it
              was distributed in America a few years ago. (After I lugged my copy home
              from England... that book has Mass!)

              Cheers,
              Colin

              Albion Works