Re: [MedievalSawdust] Cluny Trestle table info?

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 11, 2009
      I photo-toured both the Cluny and Arts Decoratifs in 2001, and this trestle was certainly not on display in either museum then.  Definitely worth investigation to see what's known about it, though don't get hopes too high - many of these objects have received only cursory attention, with only brief mentions in long-out-of-print foreign journals.

      Great article by John Howe, though!

      Tim

    • i_odlin
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 13, 2009
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "mary_ostler" <42vince@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone have any information on an exsistant trestle table?

        A lot of people in this thread seem to be confusing the Cluny with the Musee des Arts Decoratifs. They are two very different museums.

        The trestle pictured in the Dragon article is listed as being at the Des Arts, not the Cluny.

        The Des Arts I have only been to once and I cannot speak to whether they have a trestle table or not. I do not remember one, but it was about a decade ago. They did have a magnificent late 15th C bed, though, in a gorgeous late-medieval room.

        [ http://tinyurl.com/pd3h7m - from this blog: http://tinyurl.com/pb9b9m ]

        However, I have been to the Cluny about a dozen times from 1996 to 2004. I practically lived there (and at Notre Dame and Saint Chapelle) whenever I was in Paris.

        They've moved a number of things around since the last time I was there -- judging from pictures taken by others and posted online -- but the only trestle table I know of in the Cluny's collection is a beautifully painted trestle table _top_ (which is three panels wide with two sets of hinges on the edges so it could fold by thirds for storage/transport) that they have mounted on a wall.

        [ At the top, with the heraldry. http://tinyurl.com/mxpqlp
        - from this page: http://tinyurl.com/p88geg ]

        (A very similar -- suspiciously so -- table top is depicted in Ottfried Neubecker's "Heraldry: Sources, Symbols and Meanings." It's in Germany somewhere, if I recall correctly. I've often wondered if they were made, or at least decorated, by the same person/workshop.)

        I do not recall seeing any trestle table legs on display at the Cluny at all.

        -Iain of Malagentia
      • Coblaith Muimnech
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 13, 2009
          Mary Ostler wrote:
          > I will be building a conjecturally acurate sawhorse style trestle
          > table. I am in the research stage, and found a reference to an
          > exsistant table at the Musee de Cluny.

          > Original Reference
          > http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms/sitefiles/dragon-7.pdf
          > page 7 bottom left (written) Page 9 #P (drawing)

          Iain of Malagentia asserted:
          > The trestle pictured in the Dragon article is listed as being at
          > the Des Arts, not the Cluny.

          It's listed as being in both, as I wrote before. The main text of
          the French version of the article (page 8) has a parenthetical
          notation indicating item "p" in the illustration on page 9 is the
          Cluny trestle. The description of "p" in the list of sources for the
          images, however, reads, "tréteau tripode, Musée des arts decoratifs,
          Paris, XVe siecle". One or the other is obviously an error, but
          there's no way to tell which.

          Coblaith Muimnech
        • brother_wm
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 15, 2009
            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "mary_ostler" <42vince@...> wrote:

            > Hello all,
            >
            > I am entering an A&S competion in October. {snip}
            > Does anyone have any information on an exsistant trestle table?
            >
            > Original Reference
            > http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms/sitefiles/dragon-7.pdf
            > page 7 bottom left (written) Page 9 #P (drawing)
            >
            > Any and all help is appreciated.
            >
            > Cheers
            > Mary Ostler

            http://www.woodcraft.com/images/enewsletter/Jawhorse_01.jpg

            Well, it looks like the tripod legs.

            Might have a problem with the materials used though.

            brother william
            nothing new under the sun