Re: [MedievalSawdust] Cluny Trestle table info?

  • Bruce S. R. Lee
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 11, 2009
      Not exactly what you are looking for, but there was a saw horse found
      in the Mary Rose as well as 2 trestles.

      Before the Mast
      Edit. Julie Gardiner
      Pub. 2005, The Mary Rose Trust
      ISBN 0-9544029-4-4
      (this book is still in print)

      Carpenter's saw horse, page 318 item 81A1743/5. Top bar
      810mmx133mmx80mm, it stood 790mm high. 4 legged with through
      mortises, all legs survived.

      There were also 2 three legged trestles or 'Dormans' found, described
      on page 379, items 81A0073 & 81A0932, figure 9.5 right. Only 1 leg
      remained, the mortises were not through & the tenon was 'fox-wedged'
      in place. There are no dimensions given in the text but there is a
      scale on the line drawing.

      There is also a illustration, page 381 Fig 9.7 top, of an 'early
      sixteenth century Flemish painted glass window quarry' (held in the
      Cloisters, NY) clearly showing 3 legged trestles that have been used
      to support a board table top.

      This should help you if you want to get the book or just the pages
      through 'Inter Library Loan'. If you are at all interesting early
      1500's material culture I highly recommend spending the money for
      your own copy - I am seriously considering getting a second copy as I
      seem to be wearing out my current one :-)

      Regards
      Brusi of Orkney
      Rowany/Lochac
      Sydney/Australia

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 11, 2009

        Sigh.

        I got the same deal with the Mary Rose Trust.  Bummer, eh?

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 11, 2009

          That’s something I run into time and again.  Much of the stability of furniture from the high middle ages came from its mass.  Our need for things to be light and pack flat just wasn’t the case in period.

          They had serfs for that.

          Will

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 11, 2009
            I photo-toured both the Cluny and Arts Decoratifs in 2001, and this trestle was certainly not on display in either museum then.  Definitely worth investigation to see what's known about it, though don't get hopes too high - many of these objects have received only cursory attention, with only brief mentions in long-out-of-print foreign journals.

            Great article by John Howe, though!

            Tim

          • i_odlin
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 13, 2009
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "mary_ostler" <42vince@...> wrote:
              > Does anyone have any information on an exsistant trestle table?

              A lot of people in this thread seem to be confusing the Cluny with the Musee des Arts Decoratifs. They are two very different museums.

              The trestle pictured in the Dragon article is listed as being at the Des Arts, not the Cluny.

              The Des Arts I have only been to once and I cannot speak to whether they have a trestle table or not. I do not remember one, but it was about a decade ago. They did have a magnificent late 15th C bed, though, in a gorgeous late-medieval room.

              [ http://tinyurl.com/pd3h7m - from this blog: http://tinyurl.com/pb9b9m ]

              However, I have been to the Cluny about a dozen times from 1996 to 2004. I practically lived there (and at Notre Dame and Saint Chapelle) whenever I was in Paris.

              They've moved a number of things around since the last time I was there -- judging from pictures taken by others and posted online -- but the only trestle table I know of in the Cluny's collection is a beautifully painted trestle table _top_ (which is three panels wide with two sets of hinges on the edges so it could fold by thirds for storage/transport) that they have mounted on a wall.

              [ At the top, with the heraldry. http://tinyurl.com/mxpqlp
              - from this page: http://tinyurl.com/p88geg ]

              (A very similar -- suspiciously so -- table top is depicted in Ottfried Neubecker's "Heraldry: Sources, Symbols and Meanings." It's in Germany somewhere, if I recall correctly. I've often wondered if they were made, or at least decorated, by the same person/workshop.)

              I do not recall seeing any trestle table legs on display at the Cluny at all.

              -Iain of Malagentia
            • Coblaith Muimnech
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 13, 2009
                Mary Ostler wrote:
                > I will be building a conjecturally acurate sawhorse style trestle
                > table. I am in the research stage, and found a reference to an
                > exsistant table at the Musee de Cluny.

                > Original Reference
                > http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms/sitefiles/dragon-7.pdf
                > page 7 bottom left (written) Page 9 #P (drawing)

                Iain of Malagentia asserted:
                > The trestle pictured in the Dragon article is listed as being at
                > the Des Arts, not the Cluny.

                It's listed as being in both, as I wrote before. The main text of
                the French version of the article (page 8) has a parenthetical
                notation indicating item "p" in the illustration on page 9 is the
                Cluny trestle. The description of "p" in the list of sources for the
                images, however, reads, "tréteau tripode, Musée des arts decoratifs,
                Paris, XVe siecle". One or the other is obviously an error, but
                there's no way to tell which.

                Coblaith Muimnech
              • brother_wm
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 15, 2009
                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "mary_ostler" <42vince@...> wrote:

                  > Hello all,
                  >
                  > I am entering an A&S competion in October. {snip}
                  > Does anyone have any information on an exsistant trestle table?
                  >
                  > Original Reference
                  > http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms/sitefiles/dragon-7.pdf
                  > page 7 bottom left (written) Page 9 #P (drawing)
                  >
                  > Any and all help is appreciated.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Mary Ostler

                  http://www.woodcraft.com/images/enewsletter/Jawhorse_01.jpg

                  Well, it looks like the tripod legs.

                  Might have a problem with the materials used though.

                  brother william
                  nothing new under the sun