Re: Cluny Trestle table info?

  • jljonsn9663
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 10, 2009
      A short version of what I was going to PM her is that I got permission to take the photos for personal use only, and I'd rather not irritate the museum by having them in the public domain. Notice how the "Dragon" she posted the link to has line drawings? Same deal. If she uses the pics in the documentation for the competition, that's different - it's only the one copy for the display.

      So, I suppose I don't need to PM her.

      J/G

      > I mind that you are talking about sharing pictures
      > and I don't get to see them too...
      >
      > ( only barely just kidding )
      >
      > try something like photobucket.com if you are
      > willing to share with everyone.
      >

      > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      >
      > Aude Aliquid Dignum
      > ' Dare Something Worthy '
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Colleen Vince
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 10, 2009
        I am fine with photos in the competition, and my own line drawing for the internet copy.
        Just want to be able to share my research when done.

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 10, 2009
          I saw the same discrepancy on museum of reference in the Dragon article.
          I have managed to send an inquiry off to the Musee de Arts,
          but I couldn't find a contact email address for the Cluny (i'll try again).

          I am more worried about the sawhorse part of the table than the board.
          I have a few images of underside of folding/collapsing  tables in period,
          but the saw horse is so much different from the stretcher trestle tables.
          A period examples  even heavily repaired to back up illuminations
          would be awesome.

          Thanks  Coblaith

          The text says, "To my knowledge, the only surviving (and much-
          repaired) medieval trestle is the positively ornate model at the
          Musée de Cluny in Paris." It says nothing about an entire surviving
          table.

          > I have put all my search engine skills to work, and have came up
          > with nothing.

          Museum staff are often happy to share all sorts of information if you
          ask them directly. The main text of the French version of the
          article does indicate that item "p" in the illustration on page 9 is
          the Cluny trestle, but the description of "p" in the list of sources
          for the images reads, "tréteau tripode, Musée des arts decoratifs,
          Paris, XVe siecle". If you can't reach the author of the article to
          ask him which attribution is erroneous, you might want to check with
          both institutions (the Musée des arts decoratifs, Paris <http://
          www.lesartsdecoratifs.fr/english-439/> and the Musée National du
          Moyen Âge Thermes de Cluny <http://www.musee-moyenage.fr/ang/
          index.html>). There're English-language versions of both their
          homepages, so I assume somebody at each could answer a question in
          English. It might take a while for an e-mail sent to the information
          address for the Musée National du Moyen Âge to be routed to the right
          people, but the website for the Musée des arts decoratifs, Paris,
          offers direct contact info for the curator and assistant curator of
          the Department of the Middle Ages/Renaissance <http://
          www.lesartsdecoratifs.fr/english-439/the-institution/contacts-2151>,
          so you should be able to get a quick answer there.

          Coblaith Muimnech
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
          <http://coblaith.net>

          .

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 10, 2009
            I missed the part about the line drawing, sorry.

            ( I know this is not the answer you want )

            I cannot document it, but this is the 'plausible' solution I came up with.

            http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/SCA%20woodworking/?action=view&current=karlstrestle.jpg

            While not documentable it is a possible period solution that fits
            within the types of solutions they could have used.

            Our need for portability is a bit more restrictive than theirs was I'd
            be willing to bet.

            <mailto:Coblaith@sbcglobal. net>
            <http://coblaith. net>

            .

            --
            Mary Ostler
            Apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke
            www.maryostler. com

          • Sean Powell
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 10, 2009
              This too is a project on my to-do list. If someone has pictures that
              they feel comfortable sharing I would love a copy.

              Thank you,
              Sean

              Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:

              > I missed the part about the line drawing, sorry.
              >

              > ( I know this is not the answer you want )
              >
              > I cannot document it, but this is the 'plausible' solution I came up with.
              >
              > http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/SCA%20woodworking/?action=view¤t=karlstrestle.jpg
              > <http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/SCA%20woodworking/?action=view¤t=karlstrestle.jpg>
              >
              > While not documentable it is a possible period solution that fits
              > within the types of solutions they could have used.
              >
              > Our need for portability is a bit more restrictive than theirs was I'd
              > be willing to bet.
              >

              > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
              >
              > Aude Aliquid Dignum
              > ' Dare Something Worthy '

            • Bruce S. R. Lee
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 11, 2009
                Not exactly what you are looking for, but there was a saw horse found
                in the Mary Rose as well as 2 trestles.

                Before the Mast
                Edit. Julie Gardiner
                Pub. 2005, The Mary Rose Trust
                ISBN 0-9544029-4-4
                (this book is still in print)

                Carpenter's saw horse, page 318 item 81A1743/5. Top bar
                810mmx133mmx80mm, it stood 790mm high. 4 legged with through
                mortises, all legs survived.

                There were also 2 three legged trestles or 'Dormans' found, described
                on page 379, items 81A0073 & 81A0932, figure 9.5 right. Only 1 leg
                remained, the mortises were not through & the tenon was 'fox-wedged'
                in place. There are no dimensions given in the text but there is a
                scale on the line drawing.

                There is also a illustration, page 381 Fig 9.7 top, of an 'early
                sixteenth century Flemish painted glass window quarry' (held in the
                Cloisters, NY) clearly showing 3 legged trestles that have been used
                to support a board table top.

                This should help you if you want to get the book or just the pages
                through 'Inter Library Loan'. If you are at all interesting early
                1500's material culture I highly recommend spending the money for
                your own copy - I am seriously considering getting a second copy as I
                seem to be wearing out my current one :-)

                Regards
                Brusi of Orkney
                Rowany/Lochac
                Sydney/Australia

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 11, 2009

                  Sigh.

                  I got the same deal with the Mary Rose Trust.  Bummer, eh?

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 11, 2009

                    That’s something I run into time and again.  Much of the stability of furniture from the high middle ages came from its mass.  Our need for things to be light and pack flat just wasn’t the case in period.

                    They had serfs for that.

                    Will

                    I saw the same discrepancy on museum of reference in the Dragon article.

                    I have managed to send an inquiry off to the Musee de Arts,

                    but I couldn't find a contact email address for the Cluny (i'll try again).

                    I am more worried about the sawhorse part of the table than the board.

                    I have a few images of underside of folding/collapsing   tables in period,

                    but the saw horse is so much different from the stretcher trestle tables.

                    A period examples  even heavily repaired to back up illuminations

                    would be awesome.

                    Thanks  Coblaith

                    The text says, "To my knowledge, the only surviving (and much-
                    repaired) medieval trestle is the positively ornate model at the
                    Musée de Cluny in Paris." It says nothing about an entire surviving

                    table.

                    > I have put all my search engine skills to work, and have came up
                    > with nothing.

                    Museum staff are often happy to share all sorts of information if you
                    ask them directly. The main text of the French version of the
                    article does indicate that item "p" in the illustration on page 9 is
                    the Cluny trestle, but the description of "p" in the list of sources
                    for the images reads, "tréteau tripode, Musée des arts decoratifs,
                    Paris, XVe siecle". If you can't reach the author of the article to
                    ask him which attribution is erroneous, you might want to check with
                    both institutions (the Musée des arts decoratifs, Paris <http://
                    www.lesartsdecorati fs.fr/english- 439/> and the Musée National du
                    Moyen Âge Thermes de Cluny <http://www.musee- moyenage. fr/ang/
                    index.html>). There're English-language versions of both their
                    homepages, so I assume somebody at each could answer a question in
                    English. It might take a while for an e-mail sent to the information
                    address for the Musée National du Moyen Âge to be routed to the right
                    people, but the website for the Musée des arts decoratifs, Paris,
                    offers direct contact info for the curator and assistant curator of
                    the Department of the Middle Ages/Renaissance <http://
                    www.lesartsdecorati fs.fr/english- 439/the-institut ion/contacts- 2151>,
                    so you should be able to get a quick answer there.

                    Coblaith Muimnech
                    <mailto:Coblaith@sbcglobal. net>
                    <http://coblaith. net>

                    .

                    Error! Filename not specified.

                    --
                    Mary Ostler
                    Apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke
                    www.maryostler. com

                  • AlbionWood
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 11, 2009
                      I photo-toured both the Cluny and Arts Decoratifs in 2001, and this trestle was certainly not on display in either museum then.  Definitely worth investigation to see what's known about it, though don't get hopes too high - many of these objects have received only cursory attention, with only brief mentions in long-out-of-print foreign journals.

                      Great article by John Howe, though!

                      Tim

                    • i_odlin
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 13, 2009
                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "mary_ostler" <42vince@...> wrote:
                        > Does anyone have any information on an exsistant trestle table?

                        A lot of people in this thread seem to be confusing the Cluny with the Musee des Arts Decoratifs. They are two very different museums.

                        The trestle pictured in the Dragon article is listed as being at the Des Arts, not the Cluny.

                        The Des Arts I have only been to once and I cannot speak to whether they have a trestle table or not. I do not remember one, but it was about a decade ago. They did have a magnificent late 15th C bed, though, in a gorgeous late-medieval room.

                        [ http://tinyurl.com/pd3h7m - from this blog: http://tinyurl.com/pb9b9m ]

                        However, I have been to the Cluny about a dozen times from 1996 to 2004. I practically lived there (and at Notre Dame and Saint Chapelle) whenever I was in Paris.

                        They've moved a number of things around since the last time I was there -- judging from pictures taken by others and posted online -- but the only trestle table I know of in the Cluny's collection is a beautifully painted trestle table _top_ (which is three panels wide with two sets of hinges on the edges so it could fold by thirds for storage/transport) that they have mounted on a wall.

                        [ At the top, with the heraldry. http://tinyurl.com/mxpqlp
                        - from this page: http://tinyurl.com/p88geg ]

                        (A very similar -- suspiciously so -- table top is depicted in Ottfried Neubecker's "Heraldry: Sources, Symbols and Meanings." It's in Germany somewhere, if I recall correctly. I've often wondered if they were made, or at least decorated, by the same person/workshop.)

                        I do not recall seeing any trestle table legs on display at the Cluny at all.

                        -Iain of Malagentia
                      • Coblaith Muimnech
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 13, 2009
                          Mary Ostler wrote:
                          > I will be building a conjecturally acurate sawhorse style trestle
                          > table. I am in the research stage, and found a reference to an
                          > exsistant table at the Musee de Cluny.

                          > Original Reference
                          > http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms/sitefiles/dragon-7.pdf
                          > page 7 bottom left (written) Page 9 #P (drawing)

                          Iain of Malagentia asserted:
                          > The trestle pictured in the Dragon article is listed as being at
                          > the Des Arts, not the Cluny.

                          It's listed as being in both, as I wrote before. The main text of
                          the French version of the article (page 8) has a parenthetical
                          notation indicating item "p" in the illustration on page 9 is the
                          Cluny trestle. The description of "p" in the list of sources for the
                          images, however, reads, "tréteau tripode, Musée des arts decoratifs,
                          Paris, XVe siecle". One or the other is obviously an error, but
                          there's no way to tell which.

                          Coblaith Muimnech
                        • brother_wm
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 15, 2009
                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "mary_ostler" <42vince@...> wrote:

                            > Hello all,
                            >
                            > I am entering an A&S competion in October. {snip}
                            > Does anyone have any information on an exsistant trestle table?
                            >
                            > Original Reference
                            > http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms/sitefiles/dragon-7.pdf
                            > page 7 bottom left (written) Page 9 #P (drawing)
                            >
                            > Any and all help is appreciated.
                            >
                            > Cheers
                            > Mary Ostler

                            http://www.woodcraft.com/images/enewsletter/Jawhorse_01.jpg

                            Well, it looks like the tripod legs.

                            Might have a problem with the materials used though.

                            brother william
                            nothing new under the sun