Re: Cluny Trestle table info?

  • jljonsn9663
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 10, 2009
      Answering the posting photos online part off-line.

      J/G

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 10, 2009
        I mind that you are talking about sharing pictures
        and I don't get to see them too...

        ( only barely just kidding )

        try something like photobucket.com if you are
        willing to share with everyone.

        Answering the posting photos online part off-line.

        J/G

        --- In medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com, Colleen Vince <42vince@... > wrote:

        > Oh joyous day. I would love to get my hands on the photos. Do you remember
        > which museum it was in?
        >
        > Do you mind I if I used the image in documenation that would eventually be
        > placed online?
        >
        > So excited....
        >
        > Mary
        >

        > --
        > Mary Ostler
        > Apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke
        > www.maryostler. com

      • jljonsn9663
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 10, 2009
          A short version of what I was going to PM her is that I got permission to take the photos for personal use only, and I'd rather not irritate the museum by having them in the public domain. Notice how the "Dragon" she posted the link to has line drawings? Same deal. If she uses the pics in the documentation for the competition, that's different - it's only the one copy for the display.

          So, I suppose I don't need to PM her.

          J/G

          > I mind that you are talking about sharing pictures
          > and I don't get to see them too...
          >
          > ( only barely just kidding )
          >
          > try something like photobucket.com if you are
          > willing to share with everyone.
          >

          > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          >
          > Aude Aliquid Dignum
          > ' Dare Something Worthy '
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Colleen Vince
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 10, 2009
            I am fine with photos in the competition, and my own line drawing for the internet copy.
            Just want to be able to share my research when done.

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 10, 2009
              I saw the same discrepancy on museum of reference in the Dragon article.
              I have managed to send an inquiry off to the Musee de Arts,
              but I couldn't find a contact email address for the Cluny (i'll try again).

              I am more worried about the sawhorse part of the table than the board.
              I have a few images of underside of folding/collapsing  tables in period,
              but the saw horse is so much different from the stretcher trestle tables.
              A period examples  even heavily repaired to back up illuminations
              would be awesome.

              Thanks  Coblaith

              The text says, "To my knowledge, the only surviving (and much-
              repaired) medieval trestle is the positively ornate model at the
              Musée de Cluny in Paris." It says nothing about an entire surviving
              table.

              > I have put all my search engine skills to work, and have came up
              > with nothing.

              Museum staff are often happy to share all sorts of information if you
              ask them directly. The main text of the French version of the
              article does indicate that item "p" in the illustration on page 9 is
              the Cluny trestle, but the description of "p" in the list of sources
              for the images reads, "tréteau tripode, Musée des arts decoratifs,
              Paris, XVe siecle". If you can't reach the author of the article to
              ask him which attribution is erroneous, you might want to check with
              both institutions (the Musée des arts decoratifs, Paris <http://
              www.lesartsdecoratifs.fr/english-439/> and the Musée National du
              Moyen Âge Thermes de Cluny <http://www.musee-moyenage.fr/ang/
              index.html>). There're English-language versions of both their
              homepages, so I assume somebody at each could answer a question in
              English. It might take a while for an e-mail sent to the information
              address for the Musée National du Moyen Âge to be routed to the right
              people, but the website for the Musée des arts decoratifs, Paris,
              offers direct contact info for the curator and assistant curator of
              the Department of the Middle Ages/Renaissance <http://
              www.lesartsdecoratifs.fr/english-439/the-institution/contacts-2151>,
              so you should be able to get a quick answer there.

              Coblaith Muimnech
              <mailto:Coblaith@...>
              <http://coblaith.net>

              .

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 10, 2009
                I missed the part about the line drawing, sorry.

                ( I know this is not the answer you want )

                I cannot document it, but this is the 'plausible' solution I came up with.

                http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/SCA%20woodworking/?action=view&current=karlstrestle.jpg

                While not documentable it is a possible period solution that fits
                within the types of solutions they could have used.

                Our need for portability is a bit more restrictive than theirs was I'd
                be willing to bet.

                <mailto:Coblaith@sbcglobal. net>
                <http://coblaith. net>

                .

                --
                Mary Ostler
                Apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke
                www.maryostler. com

              • Sean Powell
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 10, 2009
                  This too is a project on my to-do list. If someone has pictures that
                  they feel comfortable sharing I would love a copy.

                  Thank you,
                  Sean

                  Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:

                  > I missed the part about the line drawing, sorry.
                  >

                  > ( I know this is not the answer you want )
                  >
                  > I cannot document it, but this is the 'plausible' solution I came up with.
                  >
                  > http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/SCA%20woodworking/?action=view¤t=karlstrestle.jpg
                  > <http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/SCA%20woodworking/?action=view¤t=karlstrestle.jpg>
                  >
                  > While not documentable it is a possible period solution that fits
                  > within the types of solutions they could have used.
                  >
                  > Our need for portability is a bit more restrictive than theirs was I'd
                  > be willing to bet.
                  >

                  > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                  >
                  > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                  > ' Dare Something Worthy '

                • Bruce S. R. Lee
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 11, 2009
                    Not exactly what you are looking for, but there was a saw horse found
                    in the Mary Rose as well as 2 trestles.

                    Before the Mast
                    Edit. Julie Gardiner
                    Pub. 2005, The Mary Rose Trust
                    ISBN 0-9544029-4-4
                    (this book is still in print)

                    Carpenter's saw horse, page 318 item 81A1743/5. Top bar
                    810mmx133mmx80mm, it stood 790mm high. 4 legged with through
                    mortises, all legs survived.

                    There were also 2 three legged trestles or 'Dormans' found, described
                    on page 379, items 81A0073 & 81A0932, figure 9.5 right. Only 1 leg
                    remained, the mortises were not through & the tenon was 'fox-wedged'
                    in place. There are no dimensions given in the text but there is a
                    scale on the line drawing.

                    There is also a illustration, page 381 Fig 9.7 top, of an 'early
                    sixteenth century Flemish painted glass window quarry' (held in the
                    Cloisters, NY) clearly showing 3 legged trestles that have been used
                    to support a board table top.

                    This should help you if you want to get the book or just the pages
                    through 'Inter Library Loan'. If you are at all interesting early
                    1500's material culture I highly recommend spending the money for
                    your own copy - I am seriously considering getting a second copy as I
                    seem to be wearing out my current one :-)

                    Regards
                    Brusi of Orkney
                    Rowany/Lochac
                    Sydney/Australia

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 11, 2009

                      Sigh.

                      I got the same deal with the Mary Rose Trust.  Bummer, eh?

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 11, 2009

                        That’s something I run into time and again.  Much of the stability of furniture from the high middle ages came from its mass.  Our need for things to be light and pack flat just wasn’t the case in period.

                        They had serfs for that.

                        Will

                        I saw the same discrepancy on museum of reference in the Dragon article.

                        I have managed to send an inquiry off to the Musee de Arts,

                        but I couldn't find a contact email address for the Cluny (i'll try again).

                        I am more worried about the sawhorse part of the table than the board.

                        I have a few images of underside of folding/collapsing   tables in period,

                        but the saw horse is so much different from the stretcher trestle tables.

                        A period examples  even heavily repaired to back up illuminations

                        would be awesome.

                        Thanks  Coblaith

                        The text says, "To my knowledge, the only surviving (and much-
                        repaired) medieval trestle is the positively ornate model at the
                        Musée de Cluny in Paris." It says nothing about an entire surviving

                        table.

                        > I have put all my search engine skills to work, and have came up
                        > with nothing.

                        Museum staff are often happy to share all sorts of information if you
                        ask them directly. The main text of the French version of the
                        article does indicate that item "p" in the illustration on page 9 is
                        the Cluny trestle, but the description of "p" in the list of sources
                        for the images reads, "tréteau tripode, Musée des arts decoratifs,
                        Paris, XVe siecle". If you can't reach the author of the article to
                        ask him which attribution is erroneous, you might want to check with
                        both institutions (the Musée des arts decoratifs, Paris <http://
                        www.lesartsdecorati fs.fr/english- 439/> and the Musée National du
                        Moyen Âge Thermes de Cluny <http://www.musee- moyenage. fr/ang/
                        index.html>). There're English-language versions of both their
                        homepages, so I assume somebody at each could answer a question in
                        English. It might take a while for an e-mail sent to the information
                        address for the Musée National du Moyen Âge to be routed to the right
                        people, but the website for the Musée des arts decoratifs, Paris,
                        offers direct contact info for the curator and assistant curator of
                        the Department of the Middle Ages/Renaissance <http://
                        www.lesartsdecorati fs.fr/english- 439/the-institut ion/contacts- 2151>,
                        so you should be able to get a quick answer there.

                        Coblaith Muimnech
                        <mailto:Coblaith@sbcglobal. net>
                        <http://coblaith. net>

                        .

                        Error! Filename not specified.

                        --
                        Mary Ostler
                        Apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke
                        www.maryostler. com

                      • AlbionWood
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 11, 2009
                          I photo-toured both the Cluny and Arts Decoratifs in 2001, and this trestle was certainly not on display in either museum then.  Definitely worth investigation to see what's known about it, though don't get hopes too high - many of these objects have received only cursory attention, with only brief mentions in long-out-of-print foreign journals.

                          Great article by John Howe, though!

                          Tim

                        • i_odlin
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 13, 2009
                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "mary_ostler" <42vince@...> wrote:
                            > Does anyone have any information on an exsistant trestle table?

                            A lot of people in this thread seem to be confusing the Cluny with the Musee des Arts Decoratifs. They are two very different museums.

                            The trestle pictured in the Dragon article is listed as being at the Des Arts, not the Cluny.

                            The Des Arts I have only been to once and I cannot speak to whether they have a trestle table or not. I do not remember one, but it was about a decade ago. They did have a magnificent late 15th C bed, though, in a gorgeous late-medieval room.

                            [ http://tinyurl.com/pd3h7m - from this blog: http://tinyurl.com/pb9b9m ]

                            However, I have been to the Cluny about a dozen times from 1996 to 2004. I practically lived there (and at Notre Dame and Saint Chapelle) whenever I was in Paris.

                            They've moved a number of things around since the last time I was there -- judging from pictures taken by others and posted online -- but the only trestle table I know of in the Cluny's collection is a beautifully painted trestle table _top_ (which is three panels wide with two sets of hinges on the edges so it could fold by thirds for storage/transport) that they have mounted on a wall.

                            [ At the top, with the heraldry. http://tinyurl.com/mxpqlp
                            - from this page: http://tinyurl.com/p88geg ]

                            (A very similar -- suspiciously so -- table top is depicted in Ottfried Neubecker's "Heraldry: Sources, Symbols and Meanings." It's in Germany somewhere, if I recall correctly. I've often wondered if they were made, or at least decorated, by the same person/workshop.)

                            I do not recall seeing any trestle table legs on display at the Cluny at all.

                            -Iain of Malagentia
                          • Coblaith Muimnech
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 13, 2009
                              Mary Ostler wrote:
                              > I will be building a conjecturally acurate sawhorse style trestle
                              > table. I am in the research stage, and found a reference to an
                              > exsistant table at the Musee de Cluny.

                              > Original Reference
                              > http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms/sitefiles/dragon-7.pdf
                              > page 7 bottom left (written) Page 9 #P (drawing)

                              Iain of Malagentia asserted:
                              > The trestle pictured in the Dragon article is listed as being at
                              > the Des Arts, not the Cluny.

                              It's listed as being in both, as I wrote before. The main text of
                              the French version of the article (page 8) has a parenthetical
                              notation indicating item "p" in the illustration on page 9 is the
                              Cluny trestle. The description of "p" in the list of sources for the
                              images, however, reads, "tréteau tripode, Musée des arts decoratifs,
                              Paris, XVe siecle". One or the other is obviously an error, but
                              there's no way to tell which.

                              Coblaith Muimnech
                            • brother_wm
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 15, 2009
                                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "mary_ostler" <42vince@...> wrote:

                                > Hello all,
                                >
                                > I am entering an A&S competion in October. {snip}
                                > Does anyone have any information on an exsistant trestle table?
                                >
                                > Original Reference
                                > http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms/sitefiles/dragon-7.pdf
                                > page 7 bottom left (written) Page 9 #P (drawing)
                                >
                                > Any and all help is appreciated.
                                >
                                > Cheers
                                > Mary Ostler

                                http://www.woodcraft.com/images/enewsletter/Jawhorse_01.jpg

                                Well, it looks like the tripod legs.

                                Might have a problem with the materials used though.

                                brother william
                                nothing new under the sun