Re: [MedievalSawdust] Regalia Chest for a Knight?

  • Ragn Solvi
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 8, 2009
      Great Idea...Good luck!!!

      Ragnsteinn fra Andresmyri
      Shire of Hrafnsfjordr
      Gules two battle-axes in saltire Or
      and a chief wavy checky azure and Or

      From: bayard_turner <williams@...>
      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 6:40:53 PM
      Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Regalia Chest for a Knight?

      Greetings, all,

      A friend was recently elevated to knighthood in the SCA, and a couple more may be within a year or two. I was trying to think of an appropriate gift to commemorate the event, and thought of making a chest or box to keep their regalia - spurs, chain, belt, etc. The box wouldn't need to be that big, but I'd like it to have separate spaces for each item (a pair of spurs being an item).

      Any thoughts on design? Chests or boxes I might modify for my purpose?
      I appreciate any ideas you might offer.

      Bayard

    • Chris

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 9, 2009
            How about a nice dovetailed box, carved with motifs from chivalric romance... like this one?

            Cheers,
            Colin

            bayard_turner wrote:
            Greetings, all,

            A friend was recently elevated to knighthood in the SCA, and a couple more may be within a year or two.  I was trying to think of an appropriate gift to commemorate the event, and thought of making a chest or box to keep their regalia - spurs, chain, belt, etc.  The box wouldn't need to be that big, but I'd like it to have separate spaces for each item (a pair of spurs being an item).

            Any thoughts on design?  Chests or boxes I might modify for my purpose?
            I appreciate any ideas you might offer.

            Bayard

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • jljonsn9663
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 10, 2009
              Whoa - visible DTs on a small box. Got more pictures & a description/location/provenance?
            • Kean Gryffyth
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 10, 2009
                DTs?

                -Kean

                jljonsn9663 wrote:
                > Whoa - visible DTs on a small box. Got more pictures & a description/location/provenance?
                >

                > ------------------------------------

              • jljonsn9663
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 10, 2009
                  Dovetails

                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Kean Gryffyth <kad.dsl@...> wrote:

                  > DTs?
                  >
                  > -Kean
                  >
                  > jljonsn9663 wrote:
                  > > Whoa - visible DTs on a small box. Got more pictures & a description/location/provenance?

                • dano9672
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 11, 2009
                    Mayhaps these will give some inspiration:

                    http://codesmiths.com/shed/boxes/
                    http://www.greydragon.org/furniture.html
                    http://home.earthlink.net/~hovtej/Norman/CHEST.HTM

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 11, 2009

                      Dovetails.

                      > Whoa - visible DTs on a small box. Got more pictures & a description/location/provenance?

                    • AlbionWood
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 11, 2009
                        Yes to all.  The coffer is in the Cluny, it's 15th century German, and I have more photos, including the museum card.

                        Colin