Regalia Chest for a Knight?

  • bayard_turner
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 8, 2009
      Greetings, all,

      A friend was recently elevated to knighthood in the SCA, and a couple more may be within a year or two. I was trying to think of an appropriate gift to commemorate the event, and thought of making a chest or box to keep their regalia - spurs, chain, belt, etc. The box wouldn't need to be that big, but I'd like it to have separate spaces for each item (a pair of spurs being an item).

      Any thoughts on design? Chests or boxes I might modify for my purpose?
      I appreciate any ideas you might offer.

      Bayard
    • Ragn Solvi
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 8, 2009
        Great Idea...Good luck!!!

        Ragnsteinn fra Andresmyri
        Shire of Hrafnsfjordr
        Gules two battle-axes in saltire Or
        and a chief wavy checky azure and Or

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 9, 2009
              How about a nice dovetailed box, carved with motifs from chivalric romance... like this one?

              Cheers,
              Colin

              bayard_turner wrote:
              Greetings, all,

              A friend was recently elevated to knighthood in the SCA, and a couple more may be within a year or two.  I was trying to think of an appropriate gift to commemorate the event, and thought of making a chest or box to keep their regalia - spurs, chain, belt, etc.  The box wouldn't need to be that big, but I'd like it to have separate spaces for each item (a pair of spurs being an item).

              Any thoughts on design?  Chests or boxes I might modify for my purpose?
              I appreciate any ideas you might offer.

              Bayard

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • jljonsn9663
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 10, 2009
                Whoa - visible DTs on a small box. Got more pictures & a description/location/provenance?
              • Kean Gryffyth
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 10, 2009
                  DTs?

                  -Kean

                  jljonsn9663 wrote:
                  > Whoa - visible DTs on a small box. Got more pictures & a description/location/provenance?
                  >

                  > ------------------------------------

                • jljonsn9663
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 10, 2009
                    Dovetails

                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Kean Gryffyth <kad.dsl@...> wrote:

                    > DTs?
                    >
                    > -Kean
                    >
                    > jljonsn9663 wrote:
                    > > Whoa - visible DTs on a small box. Got more pictures & a description/location/provenance?

                  • dano9672
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 11, 2009
                      Mayhaps these will give some inspiration:

                      http://codesmiths.com/shed/boxes/
                      http://www.greydragon.org/furniture.html
                      http://home.earthlink.net/~hovtej/Norman/CHEST.HTM

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 11, 2009

                        Dovetails.

                        > Whoa - visible DTs on a small box. Got more pictures & a description/location/provenance?

                      • AlbionWood
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 11, 2009
                          Yes to all.  The coffer is in the Cluny, it's 15th century German, and I have more photos, including the museum card.

                          Colin