RE: [MedievalSawdust] Copper Pot Problem

    Message 1 of 50 , Aug 14, 2009

      Laundry.  Dying.  In fact, copper pots are often sought by dyers because of the way the copper interacts with the mordant, dye, and fibers.

      Will

      From: Hall, Hayward <hallh@...>
      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, August 13, 2009, 11:47 PM

      For a cooking pot, it really should be tinned.  Normally this is done with sal ammoniac and pure tin, wiped around with a flax brush.  There is an excellent Dover book on the coppersmiths trade from the 1800’s that details it.  There is a fairly good overview here http://www.finishin g.com/255/ 53.shtml .  If it wasn’t tinned to begin with, then chances are it was not built for cooking.  I personally wouldn’t cook in it unless it were tinned.  YMMV.

      Guillaume

      www.medievalocity. com

      I have just bought a 'lot' of old kitchen items (very cool).  One is an old copper pot, it's round and has the hook still attached on the handle for hanging over a fire. The handle is rusted and upon opening the box I discover that while the pot is in good shape there is the green of neglected copper inside the pot.  Now I know this is poisonous to ingest so what would I have to have done to the pot in order to make it usable for cooking?

      Anne

      Go softly and gently for those you meet here will be
      those you know hereafter."

    • Cheri or Anne
      Message 50 of 50 , Aug 20, 2009
        I love this group.  Where else can one ask about how to clean copper pots and end up making moonshine in them!  A natural progression.

        Anne

        Go softly and gently for those you meet here will be
        those you know hereafter."

        ---