Re: [MedievalSawdust] Copper Pot Problem

  • Copernicus Skygazer
    Message 1 of 50 , Aug 13, 2009
      I have seen tinning done by a craftsman, and they do indeed melt the tin
      onto the sides. You may be thinking of zinc, which not safe to be around
      in heated molten form (many a person ruins their health or kills
      themselves by welding galvanized steel). The food safe pewter I use is
      some 97% tin,
      Phillipos the Skeptic

      On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, leaking pen wrote:

      > You dont. Tinning is done by basically welding a tin sheet on the
      > inside. Melted tin, not teh best bet.
      >
      > On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Cheri or Anne<celticcheri@...> wrote:
      >>

      >> Thanks for the tips on cooking with the pot. I need them, as I have never
      >> cooked in an unlined copper pot before. It will look great at events, as I
      >> cleaned it I can see that is is hand forged from two pieces of copper.
      >>
      >> I'm thinking, after reading about tinning inside pots, that it would not be
      >> too hard to do and we have the stuff here to do that (my husband does
      >> sandstone casting). I do know where to buy the pewter for the casting, but
      >> where does one buy tin to melt and line inside pots?
      >>
      >> I posted pics onto facebook if anyone want to see it. Just search my e-mail
      >> addy and I'll pop up! Or I could post them here too as this one is a yahoo
      >> group.
      >>
      >> Thank you, again.
      >> Anne
      >>
      >> Go softly and gently for those you meet here will be
      >> those you know hereafter."
      >>
      >> --- _,___

    • Cheri or Anne
      Message 50 of 50 , Aug 20, 2009
        I love this group.  Where else can one ask about how to clean copper pots and end up making moonshine in them!  A natural progression.

        Anne

        Go softly and gently for those you meet here will be
        those you know hereafter."

        ---