Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: Shave horses

  • Wolfram Troeder
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 26, 2003
      Hi,
      thats not two blades but two upper edges of one blade. The artist just did
      not draw the line on the edge between the two edges. Is that clear? On second
      reading not even for me.
      Ok, I saw the whole pic. It is a Gertel and it has only one blade. It is
      made for chopping/splitting so the upper part of the blade (the back?) is broad.
      In cut it is like a V. The artist tried to paint that, but forgot one line.
      If you look beyond the stain, the line of the "second blade" merges with the
      "first blade", so it is actually just one blade. Better?

      Tassilo
      > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Wolfram Troeder"
      > <Rabennest@g...> wrote:
      > > It is a chop block? "Hauklotz" for wood chopping and a chopping knife? a
      > > "Gertel" or "Hippe". It chops smaller than an axe.
      > >
      > > Tassilo
      >
      > I can see that as what it could be but why two blades?
      > Sandro

      NEU F�R ALLE - GMX MediaCenter - f�r Fotos, Musik, Dateien...
      Fotoalbum, File Sharing, MMS, Multimedia-Gru�, GMX FotoService

      +++ GMX - die erste Adresse f�r Mail, Message, More! +++
    • Tom Rettie
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 27, 2003
        <Rabennest@g...> wrote:
        > I found a 1485 drawing with a shaving horse. I put it in the
        photos
        > section.

        Good catch. That prompted me to go take a closer look at Das
        Hausbuch der Mendelschen Zwölfbrüderstiftung in Nürnberg,
        and I noticed another cooper with just the hint of what might be a
        shaving horse in the background (1515):

        http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/094.jpg

        There's also an interesting brake used by an armourer(?), a
        similar tool that uses dogs instead of a foot vice:

        http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/060.jpg

        Tom R.