I used to date a woman who was an executive chef - her personal pots and pans cost more than my first several v

  • Adam MacDonald
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 13, 2009
      I used to date a woman who was an executive chef, and her personal pots and
      pans cost more than my first 3 cars combined.

      As a matter of course she would re-tin them every so often (about once a
      year for the most heavily used pots). She taught me how it is done - with
      melted tin and a flux.

      I have since then tinned my own pots - modern personal, and living history
      cookware using the same method.

      'Laying in' and welding a tin lining would be a logistical nightmare, and
      about eighteen times more work than the real process... especially
      considering tin's low melting point.

      Sasha
      Barony of Calafia, Caid
      > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, leaking pen <itsatrap@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> You dont. Tinning is done by basically welding a tin sheet on the
      >> inside. Melted tin, not teh best bet.
      >>

      > ------------------------------------

    • leaking pen
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 13, 2009
        having done some more research after being presented with a more
        experienced view, i stand corrected. sorry. i think i was thinking
        of thinking of copper bottoms on steel pots perhaps.

        On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Adam
        MacDonald<caid.court.musician@...> wrote:

        > I used to date a woman who was an executive chef, and her personal pots and
        > pans cost more than my first 3 cars combined.
        >
        > As a matter of course she would re-tin them every so often (about once a
        > year for the most heavily used pots). She taught me how it is done - with
        > melted tin and a flux.
        >
        > I have since then tinned my own pots - modern personal, and living history
        > cookware using the same method.
        >
        > 'Laying in' and welding a tin lining would be a logistical nightmare, and
        > about eighteen times more work than the real process... especially
        > considering tin's low melting point.
        >
        > Sasha
        > Barony of Calafia, Caid
        >> --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, leaking pen <itsatrap@...> wrote:
        >>>
        >>> You dont. Tinning is done by basically welding a tin sheet on the
        >>> inside. Melted tin, not teh best bet.
        >>>

        >> ------------------------------------

      • Wm G
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 14, 2009
          Can you post a summary and a list of suppliers for those of us brave
          enough to try it ourselves?

          brother william

          On 8/13/09, leaking pen <itsatrap@...> wrote:
          > having done some more research after being presented with a more
          > experienced view, i stand corrected. sorry. i think i was thinking
          > of thinking of copper bottoms on steel pots perhaps.
          >
          > On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Adam
          > MacDonald<caid.court.musician@...> wrote:
          >>

          >> I used to date a woman who was an executive chef, and her personal pots
          >> and
          >> pans cost more than my first 3 cars combined.
          >>
          >> As a matter of course she would re-tin them every so often (about once a
          >> year for the most heavily used pots). She taught me how it is done - with
          >> melted tin and a flux.
          >>
          >> I have since then tinned my own pots - modern personal, and living history
          >> cookware using the same method.
          >>
          >> 'Laying in' and welding a tin lining would be a logistical nightmare, and
          >> about eighteen times more work than the real process... especially
          >> considering tin's low melting point.
          >>
          >> Sasha
          >> Barony of Calafia, Caid

          >>> ------------------------------------
          >>>

          > ------------------------------------

        • Cheri or Anne
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 14, 2009
            Yes, please?

            anne

            Go softly and gently for those you meet here will be
            those you know hereafter."

            Can you post a summary and a list of suppliers for those of us brave
            enough to try it ourselves?

            brother william
            Yahoo! News
            What's the word on