Spice Chest Plans/Pics?

  • barondevin@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 12, 2009
      >In the quest to make our camp kitchen look a little more period, I've taken
      >it upon myself to try and find some plans (or even pictures) of some sort of
      > medieval-style spice cabinet, but I'm not having much luck...

      >Does anyone know of any websites that might have some pics that might be
      >useful for me to base this piece upon? An apothecary chest would be fine too.

      Personally, one of my "When I have the time" projects is to replace our current plain camp box with something that looke more like this:

      http://www.bloodandsawdust.com/Blood_and_Sawdust/A_17th_Century_Livery_Cupboard.html

      The other possibility is something called an Aumbry Cupboard, but I can't seem to find the link right now.

      Devin

      "The mass of Men lead lives of quiet desperation because some fool poet has borrowed their tools." R. Underhill (para.)
    • Cheri or Anne
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 13, 2009
        and this one too
        this one is very nice too
        this is the one I have (well, I bought two)

        The spices come in little baggies.  I just threw those into my house spice drawer and filled the compartments with my period spices.  They hold a good amount and are small enough to cart around to events.  I've been very happy with mine and it was as close as I could find anywhere to a spice cabinet and I've been looking for years.

        I hope this is what you were looking for, or at least close.

        IS,
        Anne

        Go softly and gently for those you meet here will be
        those you know hereafter."

      • kirkdrago
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 14, 2009
          Padraig,
          Here's a pic of an 18th century apothocary kit for ideas.

          http://www.campaignfurniture.com/detailspage.asp?StockNo=7731

          Kirk
        • kalligraphos
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 14, 2009
            Thanks for all the ideas and pics.

            Since my access to woodworking tools is pretty limited right now, I've decided to try and use a sort of "kit" approach to this project. Ikea makes a small 9-drawer cabinet that I can modify to fit my purpose, and I can gand them up in a larger carcase to make a big cabinet.

            The Ikea units are well-made of beech ply and although the drawers have notches milled in the front for pulls, I can turn them around and the backs are solid.

            It is unfinished, so I can stain it to look like much darker wood.

            And I found some VERY period-looking ring pulls on VanDykes website that are massively discounted:

            http://www.vandykes.com/product/pod0000142/hand-forged-round-door-pull

            So for under $100, I can have a 28-drawer Spice Cabinet that is about 28" wide x 20" high, is made of relatively warp-proof wood, has hand-forged iron ring pulls, and is relatively lightweight. Sure I can't enter it in any A&S contests, but it will look super-spiffy and be VERY useful in our camp kitchen, which is really what my primary concern is...

            I've posted a mockup I did in PhotoShop to illustrate what I'm talking about...

            --Padraig