Re: [MedievalSawdust] Spice Chest Plans/Pics?

  • Colleen Vince
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 12, 2009
      If you are a turner, their are some beautiful turned spindle livery cupboards (re Chinnerys Oak Furniture). Some nice dark glass, and stonework pottery spice jars would look great hiding behind the spindle panels.

      Mary

      --
      Mary Ostler
      Apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 12, 2009
        kalligraphos asked about a medieval-style spice cabinet, to which Brother William suggested:

        > Why not an over sized chess set? That is what the salt and pepper
        > containers always looked like to me.

        As long as you don't forget which bishop is the cinnamon-sugar, and which is the chili powder, this actually sounds like a good idea! While I'm all for "making it look Period", there's also a very distinct advantage to space-reduction. Especially when one's "chariot of choice" is, say, Honda Civic sized and already packed to the gills with Elizabethan clothes.

        Wolf
        (who once had a vehicle in the size category of the original Civic [trans: dinky!], and will never make that mistake again!)
      • barondevin@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 12, 2009
          >In the quest to make our camp kitchen look a little more period, I've taken
          >it upon myself to try and find some plans (or even pictures) of some sort of
          > medieval-style spice cabinet, but I'm not having much luck...

          >Does anyone know of any websites that might have some pics that might be
          >useful for me to base this piece upon? An apothecary chest would be fine too.

          Personally, one of my "When I have the time" projects is to replace our current plain camp box with something that looke more like this:

          http://www.bloodandsawdust.com/Blood_and_Sawdust/A_17th_Century_Livery_Cupboard.html

          The other possibility is something called an Aumbry Cupboard, but I can't seem to find the link right now.

          Devin

          "The mass of Men lead lives of quiet desperation because some fool poet has borrowed their tools." R. Underhill (para.)
        • Cheri or Anne
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 13, 2009
            and this one too
            this one is very nice too
            this is the one I have (well, I bought two)

            The spices come in little baggies.  I just threw those into my house spice drawer and filled the compartments with my period spices.  They hold a good amount and are small enough to cart around to events.  I've been very happy with mine and it was as close as I could find anywhere to a spice cabinet and I've been looking for years.

            I hope this is what you were looking for, or at least close.

            IS,
            Anne

            Go softly and gently for those you meet here will be
            those you know hereafter."

          • kirkdrago
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 14, 2009
              Padraig,
              Here's a pic of an 18th century apothocary kit for ideas.

              http://www.campaignfurniture.com/detailspage.asp?StockNo=7731

              Kirk
            • kalligraphos
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 14, 2009
                Thanks for all the ideas and pics.

                Since my access to woodworking tools is pretty limited right now, I've decided to try and use a sort of "kit" approach to this project. Ikea makes a small 9-drawer cabinet that I can modify to fit my purpose, and I can gand them up in a larger carcase to make a big cabinet.

                The Ikea units are well-made of beech ply and although the drawers have notches milled in the front for pulls, I can turn them around and the backs are solid.

                It is unfinished, so I can stain it to look like much darker wood.

                And I found some VERY period-looking ring pulls on VanDykes website that are massively discounted:

                http://www.vandykes.com/product/pod0000142/hand-forged-round-door-pull

                So for under $100, I can have a 28-drawer Spice Cabinet that is about 28" wide x 20" high, is made of relatively warp-proof wood, has hand-forged iron ring pulls, and is relatively lightweight. Sure I can't enter it in any A&S contests, but it will look super-spiffy and be VERY useful in our camp kitchen, which is really what my primary concern is...

                I've posted a mockup I did in PhotoShop to illustrate what I'm talking about...

                --Padraig