Re: [MedievalSawdust] Spice Chest Plans/Pics?

  • Wm G
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 12, 2009
      kalligraphos wrote:
      > After another Pennsic of insane Iron Chef-like cookery (man, did our camp eat like Kings...) I've finally had enough of storing our spices in tupperware. In the quest to make our camp kitchen look a little more period, I've taken it upon myself to try and find some plans (or even pictures) of some sort of medieval-style spice cabinet, but I'm not having much luck...
      >
      > Does anyone know of any websites that might have some pics that might be useful for me to base this piece upon? An apothecary chest would be fine too.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > --THL Padraig Muadhan

      Why not an over sized chess set? That is what the salt and pepper
      containers always looked like to me.

      brother william
      great, now i thought up another lathe project...
    • Colleen Vince
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 12, 2009
        If you are a turner, their are some beautiful turned spindle livery cupboards (re Chinnerys Oak Furniture). Some nice dark glass, and stonework pottery spice jars would look great hiding behind the spindle panels.

        Mary

        --
        Mary Ostler
        Apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 12, 2009
          kalligraphos asked about a medieval-style spice cabinet, to which Brother William suggested:

          > Why not an over sized chess set? That is what the salt and pepper
          > containers always looked like to me.

          As long as you don't forget which bishop is the cinnamon-sugar, and which is the chili powder, this actually sounds like a good idea! While I'm all for "making it look Period", there's also a very distinct advantage to space-reduction. Especially when one's "chariot of choice" is, say, Honda Civic sized and already packed to the gills with Elizabethan clothes.

          Wolf
          (who once had a vehicle in the size category of the original Civic [trans: dinky!], and will never make that mistake again!)
        • barondevin@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 12, 2009
            >In the quest to make our camp kitchen look a little more period, I've taken
            >it upon myself to try and find some plans (or even pictures) of some sort of
            > medieval-style spice cabinet, but I'm not having much luck...

            >Does anyone know of any websites that might have some pics that might be
            >useful for me to base this piece upon? An apothecary chest would be fine too.

            Personally, one of my "When I have the time" projects is to replace our current plain camp box with something that looke more like this:

            http://www.bloodandsawdust.com/Blood_and_Sawdust/A_17th_Century_Livery_Cupboard.html

            The other possibility is something called an Aumbry Cupboard, but I can't seem to find the link right now.

            Devin

            "The mass of Men lead lives of quiet desperation because some fool poet has borrowed their tools." R. Underhill (para.)
          • Cheri or Anne
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 13, 2009
              and this one too
              this one is very nice too
              this is the one I have (well, I bought two)

              The spices come in little baggies.  I just threw those into my house spice drawer and filled the compartments with my period spices.  They hold a good amount and are small enough to cart around to events.  I've been very happy with mine and it was as close as I could find anywhere to a spice cabinet and I've been looking for years.

              I hope this is what you were looking for, or at least close.

              IS,
              Anne

              Go softly and gently for those you meet here will be
              those you know hereafter."

            • kirkdrago
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 14, 2009
                Padraig,
                Here's a pic of an 18th century apothocary kit for ideas.

                http://www.campaignfurniture.com/detailspage.asp?StockNo=7731

                Kirk
              • kalligraphos
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 14, 2009
                  Thanks for all the ideas and pics.

                  Since my access to woodworking tools is pretty limited right now, I've decided to try and use a sort of "kit" approach to this project. Ikea makes a small 9-drawer cabinet that I can modify to fit my purpose, and I can gand them up in a larger carcase to make a big cabinet.

                  The Ikea units are well-made of beech ply and although the drawers have notches milled in the front for pulls, I can turn them around and the backs are solid.

                  It is unfinished, so I can stain it to look like much darker wood.

                  And I found some VERY period-looking ring pulls on VanDykes website that are massively discounted:

                  http://www.vandykes.com/product/pod0000142/hand-forged-round-door-pull

                  So for under $100, I can have a 28-drawer Spice Cabinet that is about 28" wide x 20" high, is made of relatively warp-proof wood, has hand-forged iron ring pulls, and is relatively lightweight. Sure I can't enter it in any A&S contests, but it will look super-spiffy and be VERY useful in our camp kitchen, which is really what my primary concern is...

                  I've posted a mockup I did in PhotoShop to illustrate what I'm talking about...

                  --Padraig