Spice Chest Plans/Pics?

  • kalligraphos
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 11, 2009
      After another Pennsic of insane Iron Chef-like cookery (man, did our camp eat like Kings...) I've finally had enough of storing our spices in tupperware. In the quest to make our camp kitchen look a little more period, I've taken it upon myself to try and find some plans (or even pictures) of some sort of medieval-style spice cabinet, but I'm not having much luck...

      Does anyone know of any websites that might have some pics that might be useful for me to base this piece upon? An apothecary chest would be fine too.

      Thanks,
      --THL Padraig Muadhan
    • Wm G
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 12, 2009
        kalligraphos wrote:
        > After another Pennsic of insane Iron Chef-like cookery (man, did our camp eat like Kings...) I've finally had enough of storing our spices in tupperware. In the quest to make our camp kitchen look a little more period, I've taken it upon myself to try and find some plans (or even pictures) of some sort of medieval-style spice cabinet, but I'm not having much luck...
        >
        > Does anyone know of any websites that might have some pics that might be useful for me to base this piece upon? An apothecary chest would be fine too.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > --THL Padraig Muadhan

        Why not an over sized chess set? That is what the salt and pepper
        containers always looked like to me.

        brother william
        great, now i thought up another lathe project...
      • Colleen Vince
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 12, 2009
          If you are a turner, their are some beautiful turned spindle livery cupboards (re Chinnerys Oak Furniture). Some nice dark glass, and stonework pottery spice jars would look great hiding behind the spindle panels.

          Mary

          --
          Mary Ostler
          Apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 12, 2009
            kalligraphos asked about a medieval-style spice cabinet, to which Brother William suggested:

            > Why not an over sized chess set? That is what the salt and pepper
            > containers always looked like to me.

            As long as you don't forget which bishop is the cinnamon-sugar, and which is the chili powder, this actually sounds like a good idea! While I'm all for "making it look Period", there's also a very distinct advantage to space-reduction. Especially when one's "chariot of choice" is, say, Honda Civic sized and already packed to the gills with Elizabethan clothes.

            Wolf
            (who once had a vehicle in the size category of the original Civic [trans: dinky!], and will never make that mistake again!)
          • barondevin@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 12, 2009
              >In the quest to make our camp kitchen look a little more period, I've taken
              >it upon myself to try and find some plans (or even pictures) of some sort of
              > medieval-style spice cabinet, but I'm not having much luck...

              >Does anyone know of any websites that might have some pics that might be
              >useful for me to base this piece upon? An apothecary chest would be fine too.

              Personally, one of my "When I have the time" projects is to replace our current plain camp box with something that looke more like this:

              http://www.bloodandsawdust.com/Blood_and_Sawdust/A_17th_Century_Livery_Cupboard.html

              The other possibility is something called an Aumbry Cupboard, but I can't seem to find the link right now.

              Devin

              "The mass of Men lead lives of quiet desperation because some fool poet has borrowed their tools." R. Underhill (para.)
            • Cheri or Anne
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 13, 2009
                and this one too
                this one is very nice too
                this is the one I have (well, I bought two)

                The spices come in little baggies.  I just threw those into my house spice drawer and filled the compartments with my period spices.  They hold a good amount and are small enough to cart around to events.  I've been very happy with mine and it was as close as I could find anywhere to a spice cabinet and I've been looking for years.

                I hope this is what you were looking for, or at least close.

                IS,
                Anne

                Go softly and gently for those you meet here will be
                those you know hereafter."

              • kirkdrago
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 14, 2009
                  Padraig,
                  Here's a pic of an 18th century apothocary kit for ideas.

                  http://www.campaignfurniture.com/detailspage.asp?StockNo=7731

                  Kirk
                • kalligraphos
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 14, 2009
                    Thanks for all the ideas and pics.

                    Since my access to woodworking tools is pretty limited right now, I've decided to try and use a sort of "kit" approach to this project. Ikea makes a small 9-drawer cabinet that I can modify to fit my purpose, and I can gand them up in a larger carcase to make a big cabinet.

                    The Ikea units are well-made of beech ply and although the drawers have notches milled in the front for pulls, I can turn them around and the backs are solid.

                    It is unfinished, so I can stain it to look like much darker wood.

                    And I found some VERY period-looking ring pulls on VanDykes website that are massively discounted:

                    http://www.vandykes.com/product/pod0000142/hand-forged-round-door-pull

                    So for under $100, I can have a 28-drawer Spice Cabinet that is about 28" wide x 20" high, is made of relatively warp-proof wood, has hand-forged iron ring pulls, and is relatively lightweight. Sure I can't enter it in any A&S contests, but it will look super-spiffy and be VERY useful in our camp kitchen, which is really what my primary concern is...

                    I've posted a mockup I did in PhotoShop to illustrate what I'm talking about...

                    --Padraig