Re: [MedievalSawdust] 'peaked roof' boxes

  • Liedtke Goetz
    Message 1 of 50 , Aug 10, 2009
      I'm home ill - therefore brain-dead - but I suspect there's something in classic geometry that makes possible constructed rather than carved peaked roof chests.  My brain is trying to find the right information but failing....it has something to do with isosceles triangles, 30 and 60 degree angles, and such stuff.

      I've been reading a book on navigational instruments (worth checking out by those on this list) and much of period navigation is based on that same classic geometry.  I wonder if working out the angles could be done with something like a kamal <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamal>?

      p.s. Latitude Hooks and Azimuth Rings: How to Build and Use 18 Traditional Navigational Tools, Dennis Fisher, ISBN 0-07-021120-5 -
      http://www.amazon.com/Latitude-Hooks-Azimuth-Rings-Navigational/dp/0070211205/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249916419&sr=1-1

      Message 50 of 50 , Aug 20, 2009
        I love this group.  Where else can one ask about how to clean copper pots and end up making moonshine in them!  A natural progression.

        Anne

        Go softly and gently for those you meet here will be
        those you know hereafter."

        ---