Re: [MedievalSawdust] 'peaked roof' boxes

  • Bruce S. R. Lee
    Message 1 of 50 , Aug 10, 2009
      The Swallowcliff Down burial report suggests that the original box
      lids WERE carved from one piece. Unfortunately they just provide one
      line drawing/sketch of a surviving box lid. The outside was well
      finished/shaped while the inside was somewhat rougher and irregular.

      The same section also indicates that the sides of the box were
      mitered and held in place by external 'U' cross section brass bands
      that ran in grooves around the corners and were fastened in place
      with a brass nail/brad through a spear pointed flat finial.

      I think Oxbow still has copies for sale.

      regards
      Brusi of Orkney

      At 11:19 AM 10/08/2009, you wrote:

      >Nope guess again.... Not carved
      >
      >I made that box and it took a fair amount of test cuts.
      >
      >Inside the lid.....
      >
      ><http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/Chests%20and%20Boxes/?action=view¤t=a646-1.jpg>http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/Chests%20and%20Boxes/?action=view¤t=a646-1.jpg
      >
      >and that one is plywood ( 3/8" ) One of the reasons I was willing
      >to burn up the wood making test cuts.....
      >
      >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      >
      >Aude Aliquid Dignum
      >' Dare Something Worthy '
    • Cheri or Anne
      Message 50 of 50 , Aug 20, 2009
        I love this group.  Where else can one ask about how to clean copper pots and end up making moonshine in them!  A natural progression.

        Anne

        Go softly and gently for those you meet here will be
        those you know hereafter."

        ---