Re: [MedievalSawdust] how would you make it....

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 9, 2009
      more pictures here....

      http://www.dragonetteltd.com/itemdetails.php?id=205479

      My question is about the 'bend' in the leg near the bottom...

      The shape of the leg is my concern not the joint where the stool folds.
      I see a potential break along the grain at the simulated 'joint' of the
      dog leg. The grain does not run thru the leg at that point.....

      http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/?action=view&current=legconcern.jpg

      along the yellow line......

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 10, 2009
        It looks as if the builder laid out the outline on the wood so that the grain is directly along that weak point.  In the close-ups, one leg shows the grain in the upper section being slightly out of line with the direction of the leg, while the other leg seems to have grain changing direction (wood from a branch?).  In both cases the wood grain is parallel to the spot you're worried about.  I'd be more worried about the foot, based on the grain layout, but since the foot is inward, there's less stress on that bend.  Another possible problem is the leg below the "dogleg" bend - that vertical section is all cross-grained.  There's no sign of a joint, either just above or below the bend.  Don't let 300lb fighters in armour drop their asses from altitude on the stool?

        where does the real wood pic come from? Looking at the jar, I would
        assume from that diamond center piece that it was a sequence of
        alternating ribs, with a center piece through them as a pin of sorts,
        taking the stress. Im thinking 6 on each side, with a half notch out
        of them at the join point, and a half notch to match for each one on
        the center spine.

        On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Conal O'hAirt Jim
        Hart<baronconal@yahoo. com> wrote:

        > http://s147. photobucket. com/albums/ r295/ConalOhAirt /?action= view&current= greekstoolIII. jpg
        >
        > http://s147. photobucket. com/albums/ r295/ConalOhAirt /?action= view&current= greekstoolII. jpg
        >

        > I'm looking at making a stool of this type. I'm a little worried about the
        > strength of the dogleg
        > style leg.... It would seem to have a real weak point at the cross grain
        > 'bend' of the leg.
        >
        > Am I worried about a non-issue? Even for SCA ( not gentle ) use? Am I trying
        > to overengineer
        > it?
        >
        > How would you do it?
        >

        > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
        >
        > Aude Aliquid Dignum
        > ' Dare Something Worthy '

      • Talmoor
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10, 2009

          > http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/?action=view¤t=greekstoolIII.jpg
          >
          > http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/?action=view¤t=greekstoolII.jpg
          >
          > How would you do it?
          >
          > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          >
          > Aude Aliquid Dignum
          > ' Dare Something Worthy '

          From my reading and the looks of it I would think it is a metal stool and not wood. I have seen mentions of metal folding stools much more often than wooden folding seating.

          Alasdair
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10, 2009
            I just uploaded the formulas and an excel calculator for
            compound miters into the files section of the group.