Re: [MedievalSawdust] Q: Surface treatment before 2nd coat of Polyeurethane or Verithane?

  • Dave Ordway
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 27 12:04 PM
      I don't know the answers to your question as it is difficult to diagnose what particularly happened without seeing the piece.  I have used Helmsman to differing degrees of finished satisfaction.  I recently began applying a sanding sealer to projects before finishing with some success.  Perhaps this method may work for you also in the future.

      Regards,
      Lagerstein

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28 5:17 AM
        Sean wrote:
        > I always intended a 2nd coat of verithane anyway.
        > What is the best way to smooth and prep the surface
        > before proceding?

        A fine grit hand sponge will work well if you are concerned about power tools. Otherwise, use a light grit paper on a palm sander and just touch up the surface. Wipe it down clean and apply the 2nd coat. You are on the final stages so don't get too energetic with the power tools.

        Gunwaldt
      • jneedles@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 28 12:41 PM
          When I've used spray on Helmsman on my bow and arrows, I always hit it with a 220 grit between coats and a final hit with flexible 400 grit sand paper and it makes it smooth like glass... or you can use 000 grade steel wool.. YMMV though

          Malachai