Q: Surface treatment before 2nd coat of Polyeurethane or Verithane?

  • sean14powell
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 27, 2009
      Hello, this is my first post here and I haven't had time to read the entire archive so please excuse my ignorance if this has been covered multiple times before.

      I am attempting to finish up a pair of glastonbury-esk chairs before Pennsic. They are in 5/4 pine and were sanded rather nicely before a cherry stain. Last night they got their first coat of Helmsman Spar Varithane (Minwax brand if that matters). This morning the surface is rough and scratchy in patches, I assume because the grain was raised by the Verithane. I did not notice this after the staining.

      I always intended a 2nd coat of verithane anyway. What is the best way to smooth and prep the surface before proceding? I vaguely remember something about steel-wool but do not know which grade is appropriate. I could take it back to the belt sander and palm sander but I'm worried about removing too much verithane and maybe exposing un-stained wood.

      Any/all advice is appriciated.

      Thanks,
      Sean
    • afpopa@cox.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 27, 2009
        From the Min-Wax website:

        5.Apply a thin coat of Helmsman® Spar Urethane using a high quality natural bristle brush. On unfinished wood, apply sufficient material to seal open joints, edges and end-grain.
        6.Let dry at least four hours, then sand entire surface lightly with very fine sandpaper (220 grit) to ensure an even finish and proper adhesion of additional coats.
        7.Apply second coat. If a third coat is desired, repeat Step 6 before applying. Note: For exterior surfaces or for previously unfinished wood, three coats are recommended.
        8.After final coat, allow 24 hours before normal use.

        ---- sean14powell <powell.sean@...> wrote:
        What is the best way to smooth and prep the surface before proceding?
      • Oakes, George
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 27, 2009

          It should be noted, if it’s not already apparent

          Insert these steps into the steps below

          #4.  after sanding to desired smoothness, remove excess sawdust, by using a  tack cloth or similar dust removal system before applying Urethane

          And

          #6a.  remove excess sawdust, by using a  tack cloth or similar dust removal system before applying next coat of Urethane (repeat after each coat of Urethane, and sanding)

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 27, 2009
            I tried a small roller the other day with some water based poly
            ( semi gloss ) I used a small 6" roller....

            I got a lot of little bubbles even going slow. But it went on
            much quicker than brushing and there were no brush marks.
            ( give and take I guess )

            I put down a second coat and then sanded once that was dry.
            That did not take all that long...

            I brushed on a third coat and followed that with paste wax and a
            buff....The two prior coats sanded smooth gave me a great base
            to work on top of for this final coat

            REALLY NICE results. In fact the best results I've gotten using
            water based poly.

            #4.  after sanding to desired smoothness, remove excess sawdust, by using a  tack cloth or similar dust removal system before applying Urethane

            And

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 27, 2009
              I don't know the answers to your question as it is difficult to diagnose what particularly happened without seeing the piece.  I have used Helmsman to differing degrees of finished satisfaction.  I recently began applying a sanding sealer to projects before finishing with some success.  Perhaps this method may work for you also in the future.

              Regards,
              Lagerstein

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 28, 2009
                Sean wrote:
                > I always intended a 2nd coat of verithane anyway.
                > What is the best way to smooth and prep the surface
                > before proceding?

                A fine grit hand sponge will work well if you are concerned about power tools. Otherwise, use a light grit paper on a palm sander and just touch up the surface. Wipe it down clean and apply the 2nd coat. You are on the final stages so don't get too energetic with the power tools.

                Gunwaldt
              • jneedles@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 28, 2009
                  When I've used spray on Helmsman on my bow and arrows, I always hit it with a 220 grit between coats and a final hit with flexible 400 grit sand paper and it makes it smooth like glass... or you can use 000 grade steel wool.. YMMV though

                  Malachai