Re: A 'Bowsaw' Bed?

  • kirkdrago
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 25, 2009
      I think you could add some korbals to give it some head to foot strength fairly easily. The design is great and I'm going to incorporate it into something, but probably not a bed. My lady's version of roughing it means that the hotel we're in doesn't have an attached coffee shop.

      KirKD
    • julian wilson
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 25, 2009
        --- On Sat, 25/7/09, kirkdrago <kith@...> wrote:
        SNIPPED FOR BREVITY
        My lady's version of "roughing it" means that the hotel we're in doesn't have an attached coffee shop.
        KirKD
        COMMENT
        My Lord of Drago,
        oh, how Kingdom views on camping differ!
        This reminds me of one of the sayings about SCA  camping supposed to be common in Caid - viz
        "What do you mean, the cabins don't  have hot-tubs and saunas!"

        Whereas in Drachenwald it's more likely to be something like
        "Waht do you mean - we can't pitch our tents in the Castle's dry moat?"

        YiS,
         Matthew Baker, ODB.,
        [ chuckling]
        from "old" Jersey

      • Adam MacDonald
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 25, 2009
          In Caid, our camping events don't have cabins.

          Iskander, Caid

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 25, 2009
            My Lord Iskander, I do but quote from a humourous List entitled "Attitudes to Camping, listed by Kingdoms"
             copied to me by a 30year SCAdian, now resident in Drachenwald; viz -
            QUOTE

            SCA Area “camping-attitude” quotes –

            An Tir #1– “What’s that bright thing in the sky?”

            An Tir #2: Rust is Period, dammit!

            These are several proposed Kingdom of An Tir mottoes:
            An Tir; when you positively, absolutely HAVE to find out how much your van can hold.
            An Tir, when being within a half year on period fashions isn't close enough.
            An Tir, when you can't possibly get muddy ENOUGH.
            An Tir, “Scotchguarded” for your protection.
            An Tir, arrive in pouring rain, and set up your tent in horse poop!
            An Tir; going blind doing embroidery since 1973!
            An Tir; if the babes don't make you stay, the food will! That, or the hangover.
            An Tir; if you're up before 8 and NOT on volunteer duty, you haven't been drinking enough!
            An Tir; kidnapped by gypsies and weaned on mead.

            An Tir:  Full size SUV and trailer = room for one.

            An Tir:  Camping is like moving, only you put all your living room furniture back on Monday. And the feather bed... all interior decorations...

            An Tir, May Crown: “no, that's not my tent frame, it's the bed”.   - answering comments from the Troll at Gate.  (that from my New Beetle days when I put a Queen size mortice and tenon bed-frame in it)

            Northshield: Just break the ice out of the porta castle

            West Kingdom: What do you mean this site isn't eco-friendly?

            Middle Kingdom: shake the rattlesnakes out of your sleeping bag.

            Atlantia #1: What do you mean there's no hot water in my cabin?

            Atlantia #2: Cabins are for peasants. We stay in hotels!

            Caid #1:  "Camping?  We don't need no stinkin' camping!"

            Caid #2: "Camping!?!   Where is the closest Hotel?"

            Caid #3  "What do you mean - the cabins don't have hot-tubs and saunas?"

            Calontir #1:  "What? Are you kidding? *Of Course* I know a song!"

            Calontir #2: Who needs a tent? We have the Purple Pimple....

            Drachenwald: "what do you mean, we are not allowed to pitch tents in the castle's dry moat.?"

            Trimaris - "Let's do Elizabethan garb in 110 degrees F. at 98% humidity!"

            Outlands: “Don't bother to paint your tent, the site will make sure it turns the same colour as the blowing dirt.

            Gleann Abhann:  "If the site does not have Cabins we can't use it!"

            Meridian: "It's good to see the kids carrying on the home Kingdom traditions".

            Ansteorra:  If you don't like the weather, wait an hour.  It'll change.

            Atenveldt: Concrete Nails, Railroad Spikes and Rebar - how Atenveldter's  say "Tent Stake"

            Estrella: It’s the weather that you *didn't* pack for.

            One I haven't seen mentioned yet from my younger day in Meridies is

            "I want to stay in the powder magazine at Gatalop!"

            Pentamere Region, Midrealm:  "Living well is the best revenge. From Coleman stoves and dry tents at Pennsic IV to the Shadow Clan's Cathedral... we know how to live right."

            East, Shire of Quintavia: "If you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes".

            East, Canton of Aschehyrst: We may not dress pretty but we sure can shoot!

            Pennsic: - 1.  It ain't Pennsic without a quart of chocolate milk from Cooper's store!!
                            Or 2. we're here for the chocolate milk!

            Caidan Royal Artillery Corp to SCA newcomers: "Pardon me, did you know that your tent is on the battlefield?"

            Atenveldt: 1. Bring your own shade

                              2.. Don't forget the landscaping nails!

            Calontir: - My first thought was:  "Storm?  What storm?  The sky isn't even green yet!"

                           I'm surprised Tibor didn't chime in with "If they aren't throwing the

            beer out of the pit, don't panic."

                           But, in the end, I think what sums up Calontir camping the best is

            "Yeah, it may be a bit crowded, but we're all together."

            ENDIT

            YiS,
            Lord Matthew Baker,
            [grinning after re-reading that list of possibly ficticious sayings]
            dwelling in "old" Jersey
          • Abrahe çaragoça
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 25, 2009

              AnTir:    GMC Suburban - Official Vehicle of The Kingdom of AnTir, SCA, Inc.

              Abrahe

              julian wilson wrote:

[...]

              Abrahe berengarii de girona

              Lealtad me Ata,

              Senyor Abrahe çaragoça
              Pron: Ah-brā Sair-uh-go-sa

              Or, on a fess dovetailed gules a drawknife Or

              MKA:  Joel G. Viney

              Aprentice à Mistress Isolde de la Vielle a Roue

              abrahecaragoca@...

              Chronicler, Blatha an Oir, An Tir

              Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
              ----------

              This e-mail made with 100% Recycled Electrons
              Reclaim Your Inbox!

            • kirkdrago
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 27, 2009
                Reminds me of a You know you're in the SCA when,
                Your neighbor's version of camping involves a backpack, yours; a U Haul.

                Kirk

              • conradh@efn.org
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 28, 2009
                  >> Whereas in Drachenwald it's more likely to be something like
                  >> "Waht do you mean - we can't pitch our tents in the Castle's dry moat?"
                  >>

                  >> YiS,
                  >>  Matthew Baker, ODB.,
                  >> [ chuckling]
                  >> from "old" Jersey

                  Those dry moats are no place to camp. Just look up. If it isn't a murder
                  hole, it's a garderobe. Which some desperate tourist just might use.

                  Ulfhedinn
                • julian wilson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 28, 2009
                    Lord Ulfhedinn,
                     in England, most medieval castles were "slighted" by Cromwell's men after the Civil War so that if there was a Royalist rebellion, they couldn't be used a strongpoints again. Roofs were stripped, floors taken out, stairways destroyed, and in many cases the remaining masonry was sold off for building purposes sometimes at once, and sometime gradually over the next two.three centuries. Effectively this means that where substantial ruins are still extant, there is very seldom any access to the tops of the remaining walls for modern tourists such as at Raglan Castle, S. Wales,  - and where walls DO remain, and high-level access has been reinstated, the edges of the drop-offs  are protected by guard rails and wire mesh. So that no-one can get close enough to evacuate their bowels/bladders onto anyone camping in such dry moats as still remain.

                    Oh, maybe that was a joke?
                    Thank you for sharing your humour with us.
                     Do tell me the next time you feel obliged to make one.

                    Matthew