Re: [MedievalSawdust] Fw: ISO woodworker to make pottery wheel

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 21, 2009
      Hmm,  having had a look at the card, that's an early "kick-wheel", with a very small "flywheel".
      I'd say that will require a fair degree of skill to build it "right" and properly balanced; and a great deal of throwing experience to be able to use it properly and throw "good" pots.
      The flywheel isn't very large or thick,  - and, unless it's made of a very dense stone - or cast from lead - won't store much rotational energy.
      Every time the potter kicks, that will jar his/her body, which will tend to jar the throwing hands.
      Moreover, there is no water-retaining tray arounf the turntable work-face [ a quick way to get absolutely filthy, IMHO], and so nothing to rest the hands upon while doing tightly controlled movements.
      I would even want to think about trying to use the wheel  if built as illustrated !
      Can we be sure that the illustrator hasn't used artistic license - and omitted things while striving to get the basic idea across to the viewer.
       Are there any other period illustrations of such a kick-wheel design to confirm/support the accuracy of the picture?

      YiS,
       Matthew Baker