Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Workbench

  • conradh@efn.org
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 15, 2009
      On Tue, July 14, 2009 6:55 pm, Alex Haugland wrote:

      > If you go back through the discussions in the archive on holdfasts,
      > you'll find links to a few pictures and things on the net, and as far as
      > printed resources, either the book "The Workbench Book" or "The Workbench"
      > (I can't remember which off the top of my head),

      It's _The Workbench Book_ by Scott Landis. ISBN 0-918804-76-0 Great
      book, you can't possibly read it without picking up cool new ideas about
      holding your work. The period-relevant stuff isn't all in the
      introductory chapter, either--there's great stuff in Chapter 9 about
      making your own vises, including cutting the screw threads with basic hand
      tools. Chapter 12 is "Country Shaves and Brakes" and many of these
      workholders are also period-appropriate.

      contains an
      > introductory chapter talking a very brief history of workbenches with some
      > images, including one of a german 16th century workbench with a twin screw
      > front vise and a carriage vise.

      This one, from a 1505 drawing by an engineer named Loffelholz from
      Nuremberg, is your best bet if you want a documentable bench with close to
      modern levels of versatility. The tail (carriage) vise is enclosed in the
      bench top, and works against movable stops to accomidate different lengths
      of workpiece. The Landis book has instructions for homebuilding this sort
      of vise. (Note: Landis mentions that the homebuilt version he saw had to
      be turned in the opposite directions from a regular vise to open and
      close. This is because the maker used off-the-shelf iron hardware. If
      you want a truly period construction, just make a wooden thread by the
      methods shown elsewhere in the book, but make it left-handed. No more
      trouble than right-handed if you're handbuilding the threaded parts, and
      that way a clockwise turning of the vise handle will grip the work (as the
      carriage dog moves away from you down the bench)

      One other suggestion about the Loffelholz bench: this design represents
      the troubled infancy of the "modern" cabinetmaker's bench. The screws of
      the face vise don't run in and out when you turn a handle; they're fixed
      in the bench and the jaw tightens by means of big hand-operated wooden
      nuts on the outside of the jaw. Consider making some cuisses to protect
      your thighs, or trade some nice woodwork to your local armorer. Otherwise
      you'll get a lot of bruises and snags from the screws before you get used
      to the damn thing!

      Still, this bench has an extreme coolness factor, and I plan to build
      myself one someday. When I figure out where to put another bench, that
      is.

      Ulfhedinn
    • Electric Wolf
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 22, 2010
      It is completed!! :)
      I'm rather proud of it despite its issues. I may go ahead and screw
      it completely
      in place and just use it as a permanent bench until I get version two
      built with better
      wood and experience.

      --
      David "Wolf" Mc.