Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Powermatic Lathe

  • Barbara Dodge
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 14, 2009
      Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll be picking the guys brains at Woodcraft for "must have" accessories this weekend.  Maybe later on I'll look for the "nice to have" accesories.  I'll look on line to see what prices I can find.  If I have to shop Woodcraft, they're doing a storewide sale 7/24 & 7/25.  10% off power tools and 15% off everything else (some exceptions apply).

      And no guys, I don't work for Woodcraft.  They just have been very good to me.  I am one of very few females who take classes at my local store.

      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 14, 2009
        Suspected that'd be the model. (after doing some research)

        Good starter lathe, by all accounts. (we'll talk over beers in a couple of weeks) And you've been "The Man" for small turned stuff for years using it. Now, you & Barbara are going to be able to turn some serious sized stuff with the new lathes.

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Mike King" <the_spanishpeacock@...> wrote:

        > It is an older wl1200. Nothing fancy but has served it's purpose for six
        > years so far
        >

        > _____

      • Mike King
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 14, 2009

          Heck no…..I’m still going to turn small stuff……just at variable speed! 8)

          Suspected that'd be the model. (after doing some research)

          Good starter lathe, by all accounts. (we'll talk over beers in a couple of weeks) And you've been "The Man" for small turned stuff for years using it. Now, you & Barbara are going to be able to turn some serious sized stuff with the new lathes.

          --- In medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com, "Mike King" <the_spanishpeacock @...> wrote:

          > It is an older wl1200. Nothing fancy but has served it's purpose for six
          > years so far
          >

          > _____

        • Alex Haugland
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 14, 2009
            I have the previous generation of the 3520, which I love.  It is a great very solid, heavy, and accurate machine, which has worked well for any projects of mine, big or small.  I think you'll be very very happy with it.  Woodcraft is doing another sale weekend the weekend of the 25th, at 10% off power tools and 15% off accessories, which, if you can, might be worth taking advantage of for the chucks and things.  My local store was willing to give me the discount early on my new Powermatic planer (I had to order it anyways as they didn't have the Helical head unit in stock), as I'll be away at Pennsic when the sale actually is going on, so if you can't make it that weekend, check with your local store and see if they'd do the same.  The Powermatic sale your lathe was ordered under was the best prices I'd ever seen on them, ever.  I wish I'd just ordered the planer then, but at least I picked up a drill press at that discount.

            --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
            Barony of Adiantum, An Tir

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 14, 2009
              It's my hope to turn some serving platters and bowls for my Barony as well as some larger projects for myself.  This is (hopefully) the last lathe I will ever have to buy.  I don't plan on turning tree trunks!

              Barb

              .

            • Chuck Phillips
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 14, 2009

                Your hubby is made of awesome!  As for accessories, it’s hard to go wrong with a good chuck like the Oneway Stronghold and a good assortment of jaws.  (Vicmarc and Nova are also really nice brands, I just happen to be most familiar with Oneway.)  A number of people I know are very pleased with the tool rests made by Robust (one source: http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=lathes-acc-toolrst-robu )

                If you can get your hands on a set of Glaser Hi-Tech tools, you’ll never let go of them.

                Charles Joiner

                Caid

                AAW member, too (http://www.woodturner.org/)

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 15, 2009
                  Your birthday is just past, but you'll need some fun accessories for your Christmas list. Here's one: a tilt-away extension to let you move that massive tailstock out of the way for hollowing.

                  http://www.turnrobust.com/Tilt-A-Matic_by_Robust.html

                  I'm considering one for mine, because I do make a lot of hollow vessels, but I've also had a lot of requests for 36" work, and the 3520 can only do 35" This adds a couple of inches I can use. Now, if I only knew some creative people who work metal to help me make my own...

                  Bayard

                  (No connection to the Robust Lathe company, just jealous envy of their stuff...)

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 15, 2009
                    Ooooooooo, this solves the problem of where to put the doggone tailstock when you take it off the machine!
                    B~

                    Your birthday is just past, but you'll need some fun accessories for your Christmas list. Here's one: a tilt-away extension to let you move that massive tailstock out of the way for hollowing.

                    http://www.turnrobu st.com/Tilt- A-Matic_by_ Robust.html

                    I'm considering one for mine, because I do make a lot of hollow vessels, but I've also had a lot of requests for 36" work, and the 3520 can only do 35" This adds a couple of inches I can use. Now, if I only knew some creative people who work metal to help me make my own...

                    Bayard

                    (No connection to the Robust Lathe company, just jealous envy of their stuff...)

                    --- In medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com, "Barbara Dodge" <awench1@... > wrote:

                    > Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be picking the guys brains at Woodcraft for "must have" accessories this weekend. Maybe later on I'll look for the "nice to have" accesories. I'll look on line to see what prices I can find. If I have to shop Woodcraft, they're doing a storewide sale 7/24 & 7/25. 10% off power tools and 15% off everything else (some exceptions apply).

                  • bayard_turner
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 15, 2009
                      I came across a site full of tips and ideas for the 3520

                      http://mustardmonster.weebly.com/

                      Enjoy!

                      Bayard
                    • Ralph Lindberg
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 26, 2009
                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Dodge" <awench1@...> wrote:

                        > It's my hope to turn some serving platters and bowls for my Barony as well as some larger projects for myself. This is (hopefully) the last lathe I will ever have to buy. I don't plan on turning tree trunks!

                        Great Lathe, no really. Yesterday I was at a seminar by Jimmy Clewes and he thinks it's the best lathe for the money there is, it's what he bought for his teaching lathes.

                        While Woodcraft is not a bad place to shop, it's hardly my favorite place to buy spinny things.

                        Craft Supplies USA ranks up there ( http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/)
                        Packard Woodworks is another ( http://www.packardwoodworks.com/)
                        KMS Tools is the third ( http://www.kmstools.com/ )

                        Robust tools rests are about the best there is.

                        I don't like Oneway Chucks, as the tenon they use is straight, not dove-tailed. Dove-tailed is stronger, much stronger. For that reason I use Nova chucks, although Vicmarc are great too. Nova jaws are 100% interchangeable between chucks, while Vicmarc makes a wider variety of jaws.

                        For face-plates, I like Don Pencil's, check his blems for good deals
                        http://www.donpencil.com/

                        For tools, the list is, well, endless...

                        If you are really serious about improving your techniques, check into your local chapter of the AAW http://www.woodturner.org/

                        TTFN
                        Ralg (who only owns two lathes, but is planning on building a third)
                        AnTir
                      • Barbara Dodge
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 27, 2009
                          Thanks so much for your input.  I am familiar with Craft Supplies USA, but not the other 2 sources you mentioned.  I'll check them out!

                          I shop Woodcraft when they have a great sale.  For example, I purchased the $3300.00 lathe for 20% off.  Because I used my Woodcraft sponsored Visa (gonna pay it off right away!) for the purchase, I got $120.00 worth of rebate coupons back.  I then turned around and used them at Woodcraft on a day when they were running their 15% off everything sale.  So all in all, I think I made out pretty well.

                          I understand your concerns about the Oneway chuck, however I have never had a holding probelm with my Oneway Talon.

                          Lastly, I have been a member of our local AAW chapter for over a year. :-) My local club is comprised of mostly retired old men.  It's kind of fun when I ask for advice, they all have something different to say!  Fortunatly most of what they say makes sense, and I can usually apply some of what is said to my particular situation.

                          Barb

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 27, 2009
                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Dodge" <awench1@...> wrote:
                            >.
                            >
                            > Lastly, I have been a member of our local AAW chapter for over a year. :-) My local club is comprised of mostly retired old men. It's kind of fun when I ask for advice, they all have something different to say! Fortunatly most of what they say makes sense, and I can usually apply some of what is said to my particular situation.

                            LOL.. I suspect every chapter is mostly made up of retired old men (and women). Of the 50 (or so) active members in the local club, only about 5 are younger then me (and I'm 55), only one of those is younger then 20 (if he sticks with it, he will be one of the people you read about making a real name with turning)
                            But in every club there are four or so people that -really- know how to turn.

                            TTFN
                            Ralg
                            AnTir