OT removing veneer

  • Cheri or Anne
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2009
      Please reply off list to celticcheri@...

      I've had an old cedar chest for many years and am getting around to removing the veneer off the top as the two layers (base layer and top layer of veneer) were warped and coming off about 2 to 3 inches all the way around the outside edges.

      Now I've removed all I can but the center glue is holding tight.  All the top layer of veneer is off so I'm trying to get the base layer off.

      Any suggestions on the best way to do that without damaging the lid?  I've read that using a hot iron slowly while using a putty knife sliding under the wood behind the iron will work but it ruins the iron.  I'll do this if I must (heck it too me 10 years to finally buy this new iron and I've tossed the old one) but I'd prefer using another method if someone can recommend one.

      Thanks for all your help.
      Anne

      Go softly and gently for those you meet here will be
      those you know hereafter."

      ---

    • Chuck Phillips
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 9, 2009

        Anne;

        If it’s hide glue, a bit of alcohol will crystallize it, allowing easy removal.  This is why hide glue is preferred by luthiers.  (Sometimes you need to take the soundboard off for repairs.)  If you still want to go with the hot iron, I’d go look for something at a thrift store instead of risking your good sewing tool.

        Charles Joiner

        Caid