Re: [medievalsawdust] Digest Number 51

  • Robert Waldbauer
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002
      --- medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      >The pursuance of the Viking artifact is exactly what is done to provide that
      proof and documentation. Keep up your good work.<

      >Its also very easy when trying to interpret a site to let your imagination
      take off... to draw connections between this or that where no real connection
      exists. Views of history and cultures can take some interesting turns when
      artifacts and contexts are mis-interpreted based on assumptions or incorrect
      foundation knowledge.... and history is repleat with these "OOPs-es".... <

      Wow! I never realized what a can of worms I was opening with my question. So
      first let me say this:

      I was looking for information on the archeological dig BECAUSE I wanted to
      reference the item in question as part of my documentation and theory that it
      COULD have POSSIBLY been part of a stargazer-type chair. I am not claiming it
      is or was -- only that the possibility exists. The fact that it was found in
      an archeological dig attributed to be Viking in origin would only be used to
      show that such a wooden object WAS made, and COULD have been used in the manner
      described.

      I mention this because it is only a THEORY -- logical, but not proven. And
      unless we find a frozen Viking of the time period, thaw him out and reanimate
      him to ask him how the piece in question was used, we will never know for
      certain if the theory is correct or in error.

      =====
      Robert Waldbauer
      (aka Lord Robert ap Hywel ap Dewi of Flint Market)
      Marche of Three Towers
      (proposed) Barony of Brendoken
      Oaken Region
      Middle Kingdom
      Society for Creative Anachronism

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • jrwinkler@msn.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002
        Robert wrote: >>  Wow!  I never realized what a can of worms I was opening with my question. <<

        Actually... it was an extremely interesting observation and one that I haven't heard or seen before (which isn't all that astounding because there's a butt-load of stuff I haven't heard/seen before).  I hope somebody can find the pic or description of the artifact you described.  I'd love to see the artifact and... if somebody can find the dig info or who did the excavation, etc... it might be possible to see if something resembling the "male" part of the stargazer chair was also found there in close context to the first piece.  Your theory, in my opinion has some potential...   I actually spent a couple of hours last night writing different queries to Google to try and find it... when I get more time I'll try again....

        Cans of worms can be entertaining and... occasionally can be very useful in catching a big fish...

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002
          > I mention this because it is only a THEORY --
          > logical, but not proven. And
          > unless we find a frozen Viking of the time period,
          > thaw him out and reanimate
          > him to ask him how the piece in question was used,
          > we will never know for
          > certain if the theory is correct or in error.

          the image that imediatley sprang to mind....

          A viking sitting on an examination table
          in a labratory somewhere responding and I
          quote....

          " I dunno ... "

          =====

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002
            it might
            > be possible to see if something resembling the
            > "male" part of the stargazer chair was also found
            > there in close context to the first piece. \

            That's probably the part that was
            thrown on the fire, the night before
            that rest of the stuff got buried...

            Picturing the same viking before
            he got frozen, thawed, re-aninated
            and queried....

            " brrrr.... It's a bit cilly
            tonight. Hey! that's made of
            wood, it'll burn nicley. "

            =====

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • jrwinkler@msn.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002

              > be possible to see if something resembling the

              > "male" part of the stargazer chair was also found
              > there in close context to the first piece.  \

              That's probably the part that was
              thrown on the fire, the night before
              that rest of the stuff got buried...

              Picturing the same viking before
              he got frozen, thawed, re-aninated
              and queried....

                  " brrrr.... It's a bit cilly
                    tonight. Hey! that's made of
                    wood, it'll burn nicley. "

              ==============

              .... naw...  any SELF RESPECTING viking would have analyzed the situation and immediately thought to himself, "Well... I COULD burn this, keep warm and avoid freezing to death only to be thawed, re-animated and queried at some future date... but if I did that it would probably deny some future people who will dedicate a great portion of their lives attempting to recreate and learn about my culture from having something cool to ponder and burn up the not-yet-invented internet with.   Hummmm.... better just to freeze to death."

              Damn those vikings were a considerate lot!!!!

              Chas.

            • Joseph Hayes
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002
                Although I messed up on the age (it's early 12th century), here's the
                pictures of the Sweedish bench and original text (in German) from
                "M�bel Europas" Volume 1 by Franz Windisch-Graetz:

                http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/bench01.jpg
                http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/bench02.jpg
                http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/bench03.jpg

                The first sentence of the text:

                "Bank. Kungsara Kirche. V�stmanland, Schweden. Anfang 12. Jh.
                Vornehmlich Tannen-, auch Geschnitzte."

                translates as:

                Bench. Kungsara Church. V�stmanland, Sweeden. Beginning of 12th
                century. Primarily firs, also carving.

                Have fun,
                Ulrich

                http://sbc.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002
                  Could you put copies in the group's
                  photo album area?

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002

                    Mobel Europas rocks...  after having having been teased by a glimpse at volume 1 at a ValDay event I went in search of...    If ya' want a copy yer' gonna' have either have deep pockets or get really lucky... my copy (Vol 1 & 2) cost a small fortune... probably the most expensive books in my library!

                    Some great stuff in there though... particularly if yer' gettin' really bored with all that English stuff and are looking for some signs that there were other cultures out there besides Late German, English (anytime) and Italian Ren...  ;-)