Re: Viking box chair

  • bayard_turner
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 16, 2009
      The sides are basically 2 pieces of 3/4" x 3.5" ash with a 1/4" dado to accept the field panel. They slide into a 3/4" wide stopped dado. I added 1/4" wide strips to each side of the ends of the panel so the stopped dado was filled top to bottom (next time, I'll cut the panel shorter and add solid "stiles" on each end, grooved to fit the panel, with tenons to glue into the rails top and bottom) The way I built them meant I needed the vertical strips to hold the rails at the right spacing for the panel and to provide support against racking.

      The lugs were added after I took the pictures. I started with a scrap of hard maple, 1" x 1-5/8" x 6". I plowed a 1/2"x1/2" dado along the 1-5/8" face, and then sliced off 5/8" wide pieces. I glued them in place, and then pegged them down with step dowels.

      It was a fun project, and trading it away means I get stuff I need for fencing, and I get to make all the mistakes on this one, and build mine correctly. ;-)

      Bayard