RE: [MedEnc] different types of plywood

  • logan
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2003
      plywoods are all constructed using resorcinol as the main adhesive. some
      plys (cheap pine) are banded and clamped in large stacks to provide bonding
      pressure for the resorcinol while higher grades like marine and fir are
      stacked between platens with hydraulic presses and have no voids between
      plys. the amount of plys is relative the the thickness of the piece, its
      grade, and its composition. for shields i, and i think most people, use(d)
      to plys of 1/4" bc grade plywood. the trick is to reinforce the facing of
      the edges. putting a small metal channel around the edge will do nothing to
      protect the shield. what you need is a metal face that comes down at least
      2" from the top all the way around the front of the shield. i used mending
      plates that i had put into a vise and bent over 1/2". i placed those on the
      front of the shield and secured them with stove bolts. i ground the heads
      of the stove bolts flat, broke off the extra length of the bolt on the back,
      then penned the bolt down onto the nut. very secure and easily painted and
      disguised.

      now i just cover my aluminum shield with a layer of 1/4" oak ply, paint it,
      and the faces last me about a year. all of my attaching bolts are covered
      by the ply so all i have to do is remove the worn and scuffed wood and throw
      a new one on. i use a clear two part epoxy resin to protect the face since
      it takes me forever to paint the shield. you can see a picture of it at:

      http://knights.atlantia.sca.org/bio/logan/logan.htm

      regards
      logan