Re: [MedievalSawdust] Are Holdfasts period? (i.e. pre-17th century?)

  • Alex Haugland
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 5, 2009
      Thank you!  That actually helps out a lot...  I've looked at pictures of the panel before, notably in Goodman's The History of Woodworking Tools, but I hadn't noticed the holdfast, especially since it isn't in use.  Here's what I can find as far as info on the provenance of the panel: "Carved panel depicting the interior of a woodworking shop, probably England, 1590– 1620. Oak. 14 1/2" x 28 1/2". Based on the clothing the workers are wearing, I'd personally date the panel to the later part of that range (broad falling collars, longer one-piece "skirts" on their doublets, etc.) but there is no question that this predates Moxon's work by about 50 years or so.  The stent panel also shows a row of dogholes down the legs of the joiner's bench but it also shows them with a face hook. I'd also agree with the idea of the holes in the legs in the Cluny carving would likely be for holdfasts especially as without a good way to pin the board to the bench, it would be somewhat trickier to plane the edge of a long board square and true for its entire length.  You could use your hip or thigh, but that would interfere with the planing motion.  I'd still like to see something absolutely identifiable as a holdfast in pre-1600's art, but these definitely help justify the assumption.

      --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
      Barony of Adiantum, An Tir

      conradh@... wrote:

      Alex--the Stent panel shows one laying under the planing bench. It's 17th
      century; is it earlier than Moxon? I'm having trouble finding a definite
      date for it. That bench also has a row of holes in the face of each bench
      leg, which as illustrated are too small for the holdfast shank and round
      to boot. If you accept those carved holes as being a quick-and-dirty by
      the artist, just done with an awl to show the idea, then the holdfast
      could have been used a la Roubo, horizontally as well as vertically.

      Considerably earlier, the Misericord relief carving (Cluny Museum, Paris,
      ca. 1500) shows another planing bench, likewise with holes in the front
      legs. FWIW, Peter Follansbee, on his homepage, assumes these are for a
      holdfast. (I'd go with this myself, but since no holdfast is actually
      shown, it could be argued that the holes were just used for pegs to
      support long boards on edge. Given the absence of a face hook, however,
      my money would be on the holdfast.)

      See it at http://worldima    ges. sjsu.edu/ VieO3210? sid=367&x= 88214

      While blacksmiths must have been making these for woodworkers, I've seen
      nothing that old on them from blacksmithing- oriented historical sources.
      Smiths started using holdfasts like these for themselves after pritchel
      and hardy holes became features in anvils, but that was in Moxon's day or
      later, AFAIK.

      Hope this helps, and I'm really interested to see if anyone else turns up
      some evidence that's older or more solid!

      Ulfhedinn

    • conradh@efn.org
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 6, 2009
      On Fri, June 5, 2009 1:37 pm, Alex Haugland wrote:
      > Thank you! That actually helps out a lot... I've looked at pictures of
      > the panel before, notably in Goodman's The History of Woodworking Tools,
      > but I hadn't noticed the holdfast, especially since it isn't in use.
      > Here's what I can find as far as info on the provenance of the panel:
      > "Carved panel depicting the interior of a woodworking shop, probably
      > England, 1590-- 1620. Oak. 14 1/2" x 28 1/2". Based on the clothing the
      > workers are wearing, I'd personally date the panel to the later part of
      > that range (broad falling collars, longer one-piece "skirts" on their
      > doublets, etc.) but there is no question that this predates Moxon's work
      > by about 50 years or so.

      Here's another data point--Peter Follansbee's blog of 3/28/09 quotes an
      inventory of tools made in 1598 that includes a "holdfast". I've attached
      a snapshot of the page.

      Ulfhedinn
    • avery1415@sbcglobal.net
      Message 3 of 16 , Jun 6, 2009
        Given the number of things you must use iron or steel for and the amount of iron they could make at a throw, I'm guessing iron holdfasts would have been pretty pricey.

        Particularly since, if you have a sturdy bench with two holes in it and a stout piece of rope, you can:
        Thread the rope through the two holes.
        Tie a the ends of the rope together.
        Put your work on the bench, under the bit of exposed rope.
        Stick your foot in the loop and push down with your foot.

        (Check out the bottom of this page: http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/articles/shop-made-holding-device.php)

        I'm not saying I can absolutely document this, or that I can prove that iron holdfasts never existed. But it's a lot cheaper solution to the problem.

        Avery
      • barondevin@comcast.net
        Message 4 of 16 , Jun 6, 2009
          >Yes, I can work without too much in the way of work holding, but as all
          >the mortising in planemaking is at angles, that doesn't work as well as
          >the work piece continually slides along the bench.

          The practice that I'm aware of that supposedly dates back to Roman times is to place the piece between two pegs or bench dogs and then drive a wedge between one of the pegs and the piece.

          This page http://pfollansbee.wordpress.com/ has several engravings from 1600 or before near the bottom of the page that would seem to suggest suggest that they were not period.

          Devin

          Did you know that in 1970, the Procrastinators' Club of America demanded a refund for the Liberty Bell from England's White Chapel Foundry because it had cracked in 1835?
          White Chapel responded with an offer of a full refund - provided that the item could be returned in its original packaging.
        • conradh@efn.org
          Message 5 of 16 , Jun 6, 2009
            On Sat, June 6, 2009 10:12 am, avery1415@... wrote:

            > Given the number of things you must use iron or steel for and the amount
            > of iron they could make at a throw, I'm guessing iron holdfasts would
            > have been pretty pricey.

            True enough. Of course, if you want to do a priori arguments like this
            one, you could point out that a family business mindset (the way most
            craftsmen then were brought up) could expect to amortize the investment
            over several hundred years! There's not much to wear out on a holdfast,
            especially if the shank is heavy. :-)

            > Particularly since, if you have a sturdy bench with two holes in it and a
            > stout piece of rope, you can: Thread the rope through the two holes.
            > Tie a the ends of the rope together.
            > Put your work on the bench, under the bit of exposed rope.
            > Stick your foot in the loop and push down with your foot.

            Sure. We have evidence of this method used too--it was traditional in
            both Japan and Europe, and probably elsewhere. However, to use it you're
            going to have to be able to get your foot or a treadle under the benchtop,
            and there'll be pairs of holes that probably wouldn't show up for other
            purposes. The use of it will be distinctive looking too--it should be
            obvious in any picture of a craftsman working if it shows either the
            workpiece or the worker's whole body.

            This trick is actually more useful on horses that workbenches--it goes
            very well with a straddled stance. European file cutters used to use a
            lead-block anvil on a horse, and do your holding trick with a looped
            leather strap. The biggest inconvenience to rope loops is that you end up
            with a different leg position for every size of workpiece, or you have to
            stop and retie the loop each time. Also, if you've ever used one, you run
            into the issue of how far apart to make the holes. Unless they are very
            close to the edges of the workpiece, you lose leverage very quickly, and
            of course if the workpiece is wider than the holes it's hard to use this
            method at all. Unless the sizing is near perfect, it doesn't hold nearly
            as well as an iron holdfast. I strongly suspect that this method, in
            period, was used mostly by workers who worked all day on workpieces that
            were close to the same size--file makers, for instance.

            If we're going to talk cheap and simple, it's hard to beat a goberge
            (which got Anglicized as go-bar). Wedging a slightly springy stick
            between the ceiling and your workpiece could have been used in the
            Paleolithic, if you were careful about dislodging stalactites. Again,
            it's sensitive to the size of workpiece (with thickness being the issue
            this time) but spacer blocks can be used. Difficult under a thatch
            roof--the inside timbers are often left round, and the stuff in between
            won't hold at all. But it does hold the work without blocking access to
            any of the edges, and like the shaving horse and the holdfast it's
            actually quicker to shift than a modern vise.

            "Possibles" aren't proof. They're a good first step sometimes, because
            they can suggest what clues to look for. If you don't have proof
            available, "possible with what they had" is usually how we fill gaps in
            our knowledge during reconstructions or demos. It works most plausibly
            when the record shows great variation in period ways of doing things, like
            operating handles for bellows, or the shapes of hammer heads.

            The issue that concerns Alex, though, is documentation. He wants evidence
            from surviving artifacts, period text or period artwork, not just
            possibilities. The history of technology is full of things that would
            have been perfectly possible, without "tools to make the tools" problem in
            a period, that nonetheless were not thought of or simply not done.
            Traditional craftsmen are often just that, traditional--and in a great
            many cultures "good enough for great-grandpa" is an argument that settles
            everything. Historically, modern American attitudes toward innovation are
            startlingly rare, and change came very slowly even in relatively
            innovative places like Western Europe. Look at bench vises--which took
            hundreds of years to move three hundred miles from German woodworkers to
            French ones, even with German immigrants using them in Paris, according to
            Roubo. For that matter, screw-vises seem to have taken more than a
            century to spread from metalworkers to woodworkers, _within the one city
            of Nuremberg_.

            > I'm not saying I can absolutely document this, or that I can prove that
            > iron holdfasts never existed. But it's a lot cheaper solution to the
            > problem.

            Just as well, because we seem to be finding proof they _did_. At least
            toward the end. The game continues!

            Ulfhedinn
          • AlbionWood
            Message 6 of 16 , Jun 6, 2009

              > is there a
              > period method of securing work to a bench to completely immobilize it
              > for working from the top side while mortising, etc, that I'm missing?

              Yes, apparently. For carving, I hold the work with bench dogs and
              wedges. This is fast, easy, and works very well if the angle of the
              wedges is just right. My bench has round holes, and I use dogs with
              square heads, so they rotate to match the angle of the wedges. Spacer
              strips accommodate different widths of material. Nothing projecting
              above the surface of the work to get in the way, either. Try it, you'll
              like it!

              As for holdfasts - I'll look through some photos and see if there's any
              indication of them before the end of the 16th c. There are some good
              archaeological finds of woodworking tools; if holdfasts were in common
              use, they should appear in those collections.

              Gary Halstead should be consulted - he's done a great deal of research
              on medieval/renaissance woodworking tools, and wrote the CA pamphlet on
              the subject (which see.)

              Cheers,
              Tim

              Alex Haugland wrote:
              > So, I've been attempting to research and document tools and practices of
              > medieval and renaissance woodworking and I've run into a little bit of a
              > question... Does anyone know definitively if holdfasts (i.e. the metal
              > upside-down J-shaped things used with a mallet and holes in the
              > workbench to secure work) were a known technology before the 17th
              > century? Ideally, for this project, I want some solid written or visual
              > evidence, if anyone has seen any. I do have documentation to 1678, from
              > Joseph Moxon's Mechanick Exercises (The Art of Joinery) but I've yet to
              > solidly find anything before that point... Failing that, is there a
              > period method of securing work to a bench to completely immobilize it
              > for working from the top side while mortising, etc, that I'm missing?
              >
              > --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
              > Barony of Adiantum, An Tir

            • paul
              Message 7 of 16 , Jun 7, 2009
                I just posted a picture to the file section taken from the book Hommes
                et Metires dans L'art: Du XII au XVII siecle en Europe centrale by
                Vaclav Husa published in 1967 by GRUND. showing two carpenters working
                on a board being led with holdfasts. The book identifies the image as
                "Charpentiers sur un chantier. Biblia Wenceslai Regis. 1389-1400.
                Bibliotheque national, Vienne (350x236mm). Bibl. 1, No 83; 21; 58, pp
                78-80; 109; 124; 137. Photo M. Veverka."

                I found the book a couple of years ago in Montreal, it is in French and
                I don't speak or read French but I had to get the book as it is all
                about images of working people in all kinds of tasks. with large
                sections devoted to agriculture and animal husbandry, weaving, metal
                work, woodworking , the building trades, book production, mining and
                coin making.

                Iain Qwhewyl
                Castlemere, Trimaris
              • Alex Haugland
                Message 8 of 16 , Jun 7, 2009
                  That is an interesting image and thank you very much for sharing it!
                  I'd agree that there is some ambiguity in the image and Conal does bring
                  up a good alternative interpretation. I suspect also that he may be
                  right as there is no clear extension of the holdfast below the surface
                  of the sawhorse. It does add another tool to my list of medieval tools
                  however, so I still thank you for that!

                  --Alex

                  paul wrote:

                  > I just posted a picture to the file section taken from the book Hommes
                  > et Metires dans L'art: Du XII au XVII siecle en Europe centrale by
                  > Vaclav Husa published in 1967 by GRUND. showing two carpenters working
                  > on a board being led with holdfasts. The book identifies the image as
                  > "Charpentiers sur un chantier. Biblia Wenceslai Regis. 1389-1400.
                  > Bibliotheque national, Vienne (350x236mm). Bibl. 1, No 83; 21; 58, pp
                  > 78-80; 109; 124; 137. Photo M. Veverka."
                  >
                  > I found the book a couple of years ago in Montreal, it is in French and
                  > I don't speak or read French but I had to get the book as it is all
                  > about images of working people in all kinds of tasks. with large
                  > sections devoted to agriculture and animal husbandry, weaving, metal
                  > work, woodworking , the building trades, book production, mining and
                  > coin making.
                  >
                  > Iain Qwhewyl
                  > Castlemere, Trimaris

                • Brian Wagner
                  Message 9 of 16 , Jun 8, 2009
                    Great discussion!

                    I don't have the book at hand right now, as I am at work, but Ulrich's 2007 book "Roman Woodworking" cites a holdfast from Chichester reported in Cunliffe and Rudkin 1996 "Chichester Excavations IX: Excavations at Fishbourne 1969 - 88."  I'll have to look back at Ulrich tonight - I don't have a copy of Cunliffe and Rudkin.

                    Hrothgar
                    Barony of Small Gray Bear, Gleann Abhann

                  • Brian Wagner