Re: [MedievalSawdust] hinged or sleeved side rails for rope bed

  • Wm G
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
      Avitoria vidua wrote:
      > I would like to build (or barter for) a rope bed. But i have precious little space for transportation. My nissan sentra has room for a few more poles, but only if i can keep them under 5ft.
      >
      > So i post this question to all woodworkers with knowledge greater than my own. Is it structurally safe to lessen the length of the side rails by either..
      > a)using hinges to create folding lengths
      > b)using metal sleeves to join two shorter lengths
      >
      > If either plan is feasible, which is better? (Keep in mind that this bed will need to support two full size scadians.) Also, where should i look for this type of hardware?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Avitoria

      Sleeved. Taper the poles to a similar point so the sleeve has no single
      point of torque (two 2x4/s end to end leaves a "fold point" that will
      eventually fail)
      Your local farrier or blacksmith, or Home Depot for 4" black iron pipe
      and fit the poles, not the sleeve?
      brother william
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
        It should work but I would consider adding an additional
        leg near that joint to help support the side rail and take stress
        off the hinge. ( which is the choice for the joint I would make )
         _______  _______
        [_______][_______]
         ||               ||                ||

        if that is at all clear.

        And for a rope bed I'd consider a single rigid slat to keep the
        tension of the ropes from pulling the side rails toward the center
        of the bed. Properly tensioned ropes are going to put a considerable
        amount of pull on that joint.

        --------------
        |                    |
        |                    |
        |                    |
        |========| joint
        |                    |
        |                    |
        |                    |
        --------------

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
          oh, and  bolts instead of screws in the hinges

          It should work but I would consider adding an additional
          leg near that joint to help support the side rail and take stress
          off the hinge. ( which is the choice for the joint I would make )
           _______  _______
          [_______][__ _____]
           ||               ||                ||

          if that is at all clear.

          And for a rope bed I'd consider a single rigid slat to keep the
          tension of the ropes from pulling the side rails toward the center
          of the bed. Properly tensioned ropes are going to put a considerable
          amount of pull on that joint.

          ------------ --
          |                    |
          |                    |
          |                    |
          |========| joint
          |                    |
          |                    |
          |                    |
          ------------ --

          I would like to build (or barter for) a rope bed. But i have precious little space for transportation. My nissan sentra has room for a few more poles, but only if i can keep them under 5ft.

          So i post this question to all woodworkers with knowledge greater than my own. Is it structurally safe to lessen the length of the side rails by either..
          a)using hinges to create folding lengths
          b)using metal sleeves to join two shorter lengths

          If either plan is feasible, which is better? (Keep in mind that this bed will need to support two full size scadians.) Also, where should i look for this type of hardware?

          Thanks,
          Avitoria

        • Bobby Bourgoin (Robert du Bourg)
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009

            I would use a sleeve and add a leg close to or from the sleeve…

            Seigneur Robert du Bourg

            Sénéchal du Havre des Glaces

            Homme d’Arme de Lord Marek O’Brien

            Combattant, Archer, Menuisier, Danseur

            bobby.bourgoin@...

            Bobby Bourgoin

            I just hang on, and suffer well

            Sometimes it’s hard,,, so hard to tell.

            I fear neither, death nor pain.

            I fear a cage, to stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 5, 2009
              Thank you all for your suggestions. The help is always appreciated!

              Avitoria